User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Wink NT rationals, a question! What do you think?

Hi everyone, I have what may seem like an odd or silly question, but it's piqued my curiousity and this seems like the right place to ask it if I want a good response...
    A number of years ago in my first year of college I took the official MBTI test and came up as an INTP. However I've since misplaced the documentation with said results- and several online tests (albeit unofficial) have classified me as an INTJ. Now, my question. Is it possible for test results to change? I feel silly even asking, something that hardwired can't change, right?
    Maybe I'm more firm in judgments about life than I was then, but I put that mostly on having matured over the last 5 years... and having the last 5 years to make decisions and come to conclusions. But I'll cut this off before that tangent gets longer.
    Thanks, I'm eager to hear whatever you have to say on the subject!

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I'm new to this and someone else will be doing a better reply but, yes, I think one can change that way depending on how close they were to the border. Like when you see INTX.. they're right on it. BTW... I'm not sure but I don't think on the "J" your thinking is exact... "J" just means one likes closure... ending possibilities. While "P" means liking to leave things open... options.

MBTI
    INTP

That pretty much is what I meant, though I could have explained better... The general idea I have gotten from reading up on the subject was that Js tend to be more inflexible, firm in beliefs and yes, the idea of closure. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud, musing. By the way, I'm new to this too- I do appreciate your responding.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Hate View Post
    Is it possible for test results to change? I feel silly even asking, something that hardwired can't change, right?
    Maybe I'm more firm in judgments about life than I was then, but I put that mostly on having matured over the last 5 years... and having the last 5 years to make decisions and come to conclusions. But I'll cut this off before that tangent gets longer.
    Short answer: anything's possible, it's only a theory
    Long answer: I can't be bothered to write a long answer.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Hi everyone, I have what may seem like an odd or silly question, but it's piqued my curiousity and this seems like the right place to ask it if I want a good response...
    A number of years ago in my first year of college I took the official MBTI test and came up as an INTP. However I've since misplaced the documentation with said results- and several online tests (albeit unofficial) have classified me as an INTJ. Now, my question. Is it possible for test results to change? I feel silly even asking, something that hardwired can't change, right?
    I think the P/J factor relates to the Big Five's consolidation (C) with high C being J and low C being P. Consolidation is supposed to increase as you get older. So, I guess it IS possible to move from the P-side to the J-side, but I think you should've been pretty close to the border of P and J in the first place. Someone as blatantly P as me, would never become J.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    I think the P/J factor relates to the Big Five's consolidation (C) with high C being J and low C being P. Consolidation is supposed to increase as you get older. So, I guess it IS possible to move from the P-side to the J-side, but I think you should've been pretty close to the border of P and J in the first place. Someone as blatantly P as me, would never become J.
    It makes me really wish I knew what the percentages were, and that I could find that damn paperwork...
    Not that any of this is of vital importance, but the curiousity will drive me nuts for at least a little while, till I find something else to keep my brain occupied. Thanks though!

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

It makes me really wish I knew what the percentages were, and that I could find that damn paperwork...
    Not that any of this is of vital importance, but the curiousity will drive me nuts for at least a little while, till I find something else to keep my brain occupied. Thanks though!
    There are some links to some pretty good online test in some threads here. Try to take a variety of tests and see what happens. That's what I would do.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

That pretty much is what I meant, though I could have explained better... The general idea I have gotten from reading up on the subject was that Js tend to be more inflexible, firm in beliefs and yes, the idea of closure. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud, musing. By the way, I'm new to this too- I do appreciate your responding.
    Have you heard of the cognitive functions yet? There's a sticky in the explicitly MBTI area of the boards.

INTx does not exist.

INTJ would have an internal world of intuition (the cognitive function of Introverted iNtuition would lead their reality, known as "Ni") and deal with their external world in a logical, rational way (extraverted thinking, known as "Te").
    That would suggest a very fluid, non-linear, "possibilities oriented" person who shows their Thinking preference when dealing with reality. An INTJ's external world needs closure, efficiency, etc.

Conversely, INTP would have an internal world ruled by introverted thinking "Ti" and deal with their external reality using Extraverted iNtuition, "Ne." An INTP would have a systematic, organized, logical and rational inner world and would need things to fit in their box internally. Externally, the INTP is very fluid and don't necessarily need closure often.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Have you heard of the cognitive functions yet? There's a sticky in the explicitly MBTI area of the boards.

INTx does not exist.

INTJ would have an internal world of intuition (the cognitive function of Introverted iNtuition would lead their reality, known as "Ni") and deal with their external world in a logical, rational way (extraverted thinking, known as "Te").
    That would suggest a very fluid, non-linear, "possibilities oriented" person who shows their Thinking preference when dealing with reality. An INTJ's external world needs closure, efficiency, etc.

Conversely, INTP would have an internal world ruled by introverted thinking "Ti" and deal with their external reality using Extraverted iNtuition, "Ne." An INTP would have a systematic, organized, logical and rational inner world and would need things to fit in their box internally. Externally, the INTP is very fluid and don't necessarily need closure often.
    thank god.

yes, you need to learn about the functions. there's no such thing as an INTx. (unless you somehow use Ni/Te exactly as much as Ti/Ne, which i doubt could happen)

Terms With Nonobvious Meanings

check out the function definitions there.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Is it possible for test results to change?
    I do believe your behaviour can change, but I feel MBTI is about preferences, which is deeper than behaviour. One may well be P, but due to jobdemands, this P can develope behaviour that is J. Does that make him J? No.
    But I think you asked the right question: test results may vary. I have tested ISTJ INTP INTJ and ISTP, but those were mere testresults. I feel these results only orient you towards a possible type. It is not as if I have been all those four types on various moments, I am and have always been INTP, I only gave different answers to the tests, due to circumstances. The only conclusion is that I am a strong I and T, and have moderate P and N. That's all
    Does that help?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas