• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What makes you panic?!?

xisnotx

Permabanned
If I think I have to make a decision and I do not have enough time to consider things..then I'll definitely go into panic mode.

If a situation is changing...and I have some control as to how I want that situation to change...but I have no idea how I would like that situation to change...and by not changing that situation I am in effect changing that situation...I'll panic. Hard.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Nothing makes me panic, if panic means freezing up like a deer caught in headlights. But I have experienced fear induced adrenaline rushes that appear to slow time, where everything becomes crystal clear.

I doubt it, Ms Invincible.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I''m glad you made it through that. May I ask if it was a dangerous situation, a deadline, something emotional, or...
1st business failed spectacularly, through a series of unfortunate events, almost taking me down with it. I lost everything.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I only ever panic about menial, stupid stuff. And I always catch myself offguard doing it.

I think it's that bit of Fe surfacing occasionally.

It's like the whole body goes like. "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... Wait what?... Rebooting... Loading memory 1-100%... Starting operating system... Log in user. There, I'm alright now.".

(In clearer words. It's the shock that goes through my body like an electrical surge, followed by a few seconds of dazzling confusement, ending by shaking it off as if nothing had ever happened.)

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't panic. At least I haven't yet panicked from an experience. It may happen at somepoint. I can't say.
I guess I'm good at dissociating at the right moment.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I only ever panic about menial, stupid stuff. And I always catch myself offguard doing it.

I think it's that bit of Fe surfacing occasionally.

It's like the whole body goes like. "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... Wait what?... Rebooting... Loading memory 1-100%... Starting operating system... Log in user. There, I'm alright now.".

(In clearer words. It's the shock that goes through my body like an electrical surge, followed by a few seconds of dazzling confusement, ending by shaking it off as if nothing had ever happened.)

It was totally clear. Is this detectable by other people or does it just make you pause for those seconds? I think I have experienced similar feeling but didn't define it as panic. Hmm.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
If I think I have to make a decision and I do not have enough time to consider things..then I'll definitely go into panic mode.

If a situation is changing...and I have some control as to how I want that situation to change...but I have no idea how I would like that situation to change...and by not changing that situation I am in effect changing that situation...I'll panic. Hard.

This makes sense but how does the panic manifest? What happens?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an adult, I have been in several very dangerous situations- car wrecks, etc. and I have always felt something switch off in my head. I am unable to panic, I have no emotions, I just do what needs to be done. It is a very strange sensation. I have had the feeling of panic in my life but it has been in the context of losing a loved one or a non-life threatening scenario. I was pondering a memory and thought I would ask the people here what your experience with panic has been. All types are very welcome to comment.

Actually, I don't normally panic in emergencies. There was one car accident where my car went on it's left two wheels on the highway and I flew back and forth at 75 mph and landed in a ditch. (After a little piece of tire or rubber or something came out of the back of the pickup in front of me and caught my wheel.) That was the first out of body experience I've ever had, though I didn't identify it as a panic attack because I obviously had other things on my mind. Shortly thereafter I went into a fairly stressful time in my life, and I woke up in the middle of the night feeling frozen and numb, (as if my blood stopped flowing). Dissociated from my body and blacked out. Lots of chest and abdominal pain and it felt as if my throat was closed off. So that was my first identified panic attack, and ever since then, my brain can still access the panic mode. Usually it's when I'm just watching TV or sleeping though. In more acute situations, i'm actually quite calm. It's weird.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I've gotten very, very panicky over some academic-related things a few times. Once when I was an undergrad I slept through an alarm the morning of a final exam. I woke up, realized I was an hour late, and was nearly hyperventilating. Thought that the professor would never let me make it up. I held it together long enough to try to fix it. I went to the lecture hall where the test was being administered, to see if I could still take it. The TA at the door just handed me an exam like it was no big deal that I was walking in half-way through. Fortunately it was some lame Art History course and it only took me 45 minutes to finish the exam anyway, so I was fine.

I got back to my apartment and it was like all that panicking that I had suppressed just hit me at once. Like, even though I knew everything was fine, I couldn't shake that feeling like I was having a heart attack and couldn't breathe.

T

ThatGirl

Thinking my son is in danger....I should also add I am an aggressive panic-er.

It's not pretty.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was totally clear. Is this detectable by other people or does it just make you pause for those seconds? I think I have experienced similar feeling but didn't define it as panic. Hmm.

Do we INTP's ever show panic outward? I am not sure we are wired in a way that we are capable of doing that.

To others it may appear like a pause, or like we're drifting off in our minds, which happens all the time anyways. So no, it's not really detectable as panic.

PH.

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't panic, I just feel uncomfortable. And every time I don't have the graps of things, I feel that way. And then I try getting the grasp back again, and it's over. :)

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
You know, some people say lack of panic, hence lack of care for self, is a sign of depression.

That said, I know what you mean. A good ENFP friend of mine accused me of the exact same thing once

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
You know, some people say lack of panic, hence lack of care for self, is a sign of depression.

That said, I know what you mean. A good ENFP friend of mine accused me of the exact same thing once

I can see that.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My father panics out of fear and out of control to instill fear and control.
Haven't the foggiest. I become anxious, I haven't had panic attacks per say.
I've seen people who have, its sometimes more to do with other people.

Hahaha unless I was asked to fall out of an airplane or go bungee jumping that would almost do it.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Spiders :ninja:
Expectations from others on things I suck at
Getting on stage (ties in with expectations, which gives me stage fright)
Not being able to get an oversight on a situation i cannot escape.

Mmm. I usually look easy going, but hit one of my panic buttons and I'll turn into that deer responding to those headlights before you know it. Spiders are the worst though. Serious fight or flight response there, and all reason goes out the window :ninja:

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
As an adult, I have been in several very dangerous situations- car wrecks, etc. and I have always felt something switch off in my head. I am unable to panic, I have no emotions, I just do what needs to be done. It is a very strange sensation. I have had the feeling of panic in my life but it has been in the context of losing a loved one or a non-life threatening scenario.
Beyond adolescence, my experience has been similar. Two potentially lethal situations — nearly hit by a car and caught outside in a derecho — left me puzzled and surprised, really, but neither disoriented nor actually afraid.

In recent years, I've become even more focused in crises. Visiting my parents, once, I was with the two of them when a neighbor's cat skulked past the window and excited one of the three household cats to the point of blind aggression. Inevitably, the other two pets approached and became targets of the third in what was shaping up to be an ear-piercing, fur-flinging free-for-all in the family room. While my parents shouted and pleaded and waved their arms, I calmly moved up to the standoff and placed objects between the animals, then sternly dissuaded my father from later trying to "calm" one of the frazzled three by pulling him out from under a table.

Similarly to you, social situations — especially convention-driven interactions best accommodated by Fe — are what have unsettled me, especially when I was younger.