User Tag List

View Poll Results: What role are you usually in a meeting , group activity?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Leader

9 20.45%
  • The Extroverted Whore

3 6.82%
  • the outlaw/resistance

1 2.27%
  • the arguer/challenger

2 4.55%
  • the Critic

9 20.45%
  • the Yes Man

0 0%
  • the rule abider

0 0%
  • the Sweet Talker

1 2.27%
  • The Silent One

5 11.36%
  • The Mediator

4 9.09%
  • Other

10 22.73%
First 3456 Last

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

I act as a leader, when no one else contributes to the group. Otherwise, I'll act as an adviser to whoever leads the group, asking questions occasionally.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I seem to be the outlaw an awful lot. Sort of. Or The questioner....I always seem to be on the wrong side of things anyway. People tend to look at me as though I'm a threat and a challenger...usurper to thier authority. Makes me sad, that does.
    I think people take the silent one the wrong way at times.
    I'm often the dark horse too. The one people underestimate.
    I'm also, if every one sees eye to eye, the enthusiatic motivator, mediator, warm fuzzy feeling giver and general builder upper, and bond builder.
    Well, I can be the outlaw and the usurper , and I am completely comfortable with being one.
    Being an authority is easy, overthrowing one is hard.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w3
    Socionics
    sx

Comic relief =D
    "Try and fail, try again and fail better!"

E67% N84% T67% P95% (Procastination FTW, begining next monday)

"It's not bad gammar, it's a sexy brasilian accent"

R12:21

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post
    Well, I can be the outlaw and the usurper , and I am completely comfortable with being one.
    Ain't that the truth!

Oh yeah, as far as my other OTHER other other role I forgot:
    "The time has come for someone to put her foot down. And that Foot is me."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My role changes depending on the group.

- If the group is unstable, I'm the Stabilizer.
    - If the group is rather straight-laced, I play Comic Relief (goofy or dry humor).
    - If the group is stuck in a rut, I'm the Brainstormer/Catalyst.
    - If the group is way too positive and/or uncritical, I'm a Boat-Rocker.
    - If the group is too accommodating and thus vulnerable, I'm the Protector against any wolves that wander in.

And if all of these roles are filled and otherwise I don't serve a good purpose, I just vanish.
    I'm very similar. Maybe that's part of the reason i avoid groups, I risk losing my identity in the process.
    On the other hand, in a one-on-one situation there is usually little pressure to fill a role.
    Also, i don't like leading as much as i don't like being led.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I'm very similar. Maybe that's part of the reason i avoid groups, I risk losing my identity in the process.
    On the other hand, in a one-on-one situation there is usually little pressure to fill a role.
    In that sense, yes, it's so much easier to deal one on one with people... and I never feel like I have to "play a role." (One of the reasons my LTR broke down was because even in that one-on-one, I always felt like I was just playing a role and wasn't really accepted as a person.)

Also, i don't like leading as much as i don't like being led.
    Totally. I don't mind having the option to follow someone, and I can be very supportive, but I don't like having my autonomy stripped.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I typically experience it as more of the balance (and I guess overall that would make me a Balancer? ha!)... but seriously, I guess I scan the group, see where the holes are, and try to fill them so that the group functions as fully as possible.

The "identity" nod, though, is worth exploring in more detail. Why do we even have these roles at all? What happens when we can't fulfill our roles? What level of gratification comes from fulfilling our roles, and disappointment from not being able to fulfill them? There's likely some sort of positive strokes that occur when we find a place where we feel we "fit" and function and contribute, and it reinforces/mirrors our own sense of self.

When I think I am primarily a balancer (which ends up making me a jack of all trades type), identity does play some sort of role in my experience of group and potentially in my having to distinguish myself in some unique way within the group. When I can't do this, I experience my role as unnecessary (the utilitarian/balancing aspect) but also feel like I have become faceless (the identity aspect), and I typically lose some level of interest in the group and might go elsewhere where I feel I have more of a niche to fill. I've found in a community setting that I really need to both (1) fulfill a need and (2) be recognized as a unique individual in order to remain invested in the group.

yeah, all that. Around the thinkers, I seem emotive; around emotives, vice versa. Around concretes, I'm intuitive; around intuives, I preach grounding. Around religious folks, I seem to be the unbeliever; around unbelievers, I'm the mystic. And so on.

(Although it can be kind of disconcerting to be labeled as one by the other and vice versa, and thus not really have any faction that can be called one's own.)
    WE R AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MBTI
    INTP

I'm definitely not a fan of having someone who is incompetent leading, but I usually don't jump in to take his/her place. I wait for someone more suitable to take the wheel, and if this doesn't happen I just watch as the project burns into the ground.

A lot of the contributions I make involve arguing against/questioning the ideas of others, which can make other members angry because it usually causes the process to come to a screeching halt (at least in their minds.)

MBTI
    INTP

My role changes depending on the group.

- If the group is unstable, I'm the Stabilizer.
    - If the group is rather straight-laced, I play Comic Relief (goofy or dry humor).
    - If the group is stuck in a rut, I'm the Brainstormer/Catalyst.
    - If the group is way too positive and/or uncritical, I'm a Boat-Rocker.
    - If the group is too accommodating and thus vulnerable, I'm the Protector against any wolves that wander in.

And if all of these roles are filled and otherwise I don't serve a good purpose, I just vanish.
    I do this too. I guess I am - the Balancer

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post
    Perhaps overthrowing is hard, but undermining can be easy...