• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP interested in increasing his J "competencies"

MrRost

Hi there,

I am what's called an ENTP. Im interested in management and wish to choose it as my career path - however, I am aware about that fact that I need to increase my "J" side.

Anyone of you got any tips, articles, advice you care to share?

Thanks in advance,

Svend Rost.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
My personal opinion: work on developing Fe (your Tertiary), but be careful around Te (the shadow of your Auxiliary). IOW: think more "personal interactions", "group dynamics", and not so much "contingency planning" and... What else does Te do :blush:? Strategic thinking? Well, whatever, you get the idea :D

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Js don't exist. They're a myth like cooties and runescape.

Lindaxo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I would suggest watching Judge judy or Judge Joe Brown. Notice their reactions when confronted with a "truthful" statement.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
It's not that complicated. Make lists, schedules, plans and stick to them. Do the things you have to do when you have the opportunity, don't procrastinate. It's all a question of self-discipline.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
It's not that complicated. Make lists, schedules, plans and stick to them. Do the things you have to do when you have the opportunity, don't procrastinate. It's all a question of self-discipline.

I agree that this is a good approach, but I don't agree that it would be easy for a P. Take it from a P who has boosted his J. I'm almost exactly boarderline J/P now. I want to schedule my tasks upfront. If I can pull that off, according to Keirsey's type sorter, I will be exactly J/P.

Try this:

Amazon.com: Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity: David Allen: Books

It will feel unnatural at first, but if you keep it up eventually your brain will adapt. The brain is quite plastic. Your brain now is different from your brain six months ago.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I agree that this is a good approach, but I don't agree that it would be easy for a P. Take it from a P who has boosted his J. I'm almost exactly boarderline J/P now. I want to schedule my tasks upfront. If I can pull that off, according to Keirsey's type sorter, I will be exactly J/P.

Well no one said it was going to be easy.

Now get back to work, you lazy SOAB!

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hi there,

I am what's called an ENTP. Im interested in management and wish to choose it as my career path - however, I am aware about that fact that I need to increase my "J" side.

Anyone of you got any tips, articles, advice you care to share?

Thanks in advance,

Svend Rost.

Well, I've got something in this book in front of me about increasing consolidation for those who lack it and compensating for a lack of consolidation. I think anyone that registers low on consolidation should also be a perceiver type since they are pretty much describing the same thing. I've been interested at looking at this myself for a while due to my own lack of consolidation.

To Increase:

Identify and appropriate time management system (also called a personal organizer) such as the Franklin or the Covey, and learn how to use it and adhere to it.

Set attainable goals for yourself and establish a reward system for attaining those goals.

Read Stephen Covey's Seven Habits of Highly Effective People and implement the suggestions; attend one of his workshops.

Engage in competitive activities or sports with someone you have a reasonable chance of beating.

Ask a partner to regularly help you to set priorities and hold you accountable for sticking to them.

If you think you're too low in C:

Align yourself with a job or other setting that does not require ambition or responsibility.

Find crutches for organizing, such as having a secretary, assistant, or computer remind you to focus on a schedule or other priorities.

Avoid being around too many people of either extreme in consolidation.

These came from... yes, you guessed it right if you're familiar with my posts: the Owner's Manual for the Brain by Pierce J. Howard Ph.D.

I'm disappointed. These kinda suck. Just remember that P types aren't always lazy or irresponsible, and J types aren't always hardworking. They do tend to work differently. J's tend to stay on track and P's tend to work in random unpredictable ways. I used to be a grocery stocker, and I would say a J would approach the shelves in a straightforward, organized way. Shelf 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. I would end up straightening up half of shelf 1 while then noticing something messed up on shelf 2 and finishing up there. Then I'd go to shelf 3. When finishing shelf three, I noticed that shelves 1 and 2 aren't perfect and go back to catch what I skipped.

Looking at the five subcategories or consolidation, it does seem like they are much more likely to be motivated to work.

1. Perfectionism
  2. Orginization
  3. Drive
  4. Concentration
  5. Methodicalness

Go here for more on the Big Five. This site takes a work-related approach to the Big Five, so you might appreciate that.

I remember in high school I was told that if you write down your goals you'd be more likely to achieve them. So I tried it, and it didn't work. Now I realize that it's all linked to personality. People who write down goals are also more likely to be goal-focused and motivated by goals. Therefore, they're more likely to accomplish these goals. I just don't have the goal-focus and drive to get much done.

MrRost

Hi everyone,

thanks a lot for your feedback.

As LostInNerSpace also says - it's not that easy just to make lists and follow them :) but your right Maverick. I think it would help to get an organizing system as ImNotTooPopular proposes (and use it!).

I'll definitly look into "Getting things done" and the "Five factor model".

I wish you a nice eastern,

/Svend Rost

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
If you return for another look at the thread, Rost: focus less on theories (in this case, the dichotomy between Judging and Perceiving) and more on how your temperament drives certain behaviors. If you are an ENTP, you likely place more value on your ability to involve yourself in projects and conceive of work methods and general solutions. As a manager, you will be able to -- more than most types -- develop a reputation of being versatile, indefatigable and creative. You will, however, be susceptible to taking on more work than is, under deadline, possible to complete; detaching yourself managerially from a project that has lost its novelty; and both confusing and frustrating subordinates by changing direction within a project, or rearranging project priorities, all in a manner that appears nothing if not capricious. Learn to find satisfaction in limited scope, or entrust an immediate subordinate to sort, prioritize and if necessary reject your daily prospects.

S

sammy

Keep in mind your end goals from the start. If you think you will forget them or start to stray, write them down and look over them periodically.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
You can have some of my J - swap you for some P?