User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Romantic Love = Mental Problem?

Brain scans have shown that the brain activity patterns of those who are in love are strikingly similar to the patterns of schizophrenics.
    It is also widely known that those who are in love have a much greater tendency to do irrational things. Reason tends to fall by the wayside.

Knowing this, oughtn't we avoid it like the plague (or more accurately, like mind-altering drugs)?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of York View Post
    Brain scans have shown that the brain activity patterns of those who are in love are strikingly similar to the patterns of schizophrenics.
    It is also widely known that those who are in love have a much greater tendency to do irrational things. Reason tends to fall by the wayside.

Knowing this, oughtn't we avoid it like the plague (or more accurately, like mind-altering drugs)?
    That's like turning down a free Rolls-Royce because it has a scratch on the side.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISXJ

Nah, that is why the company of reasonable and trustworthy friends and/or family is invaluable. I have no problem telling my friends that I think they are being stupid, and they provide me with that same luxury. And LOL...FM

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    That's like turning down a free Rolls-Royce because it has a scratch on the side.
    On the contrary, I think it is like turning down a free Rolls-Royce with an unrepairable braking system. You can drive it around for a while, and it will be fun, but there an elevated risk of a deadly crash. Is it worth the risk?

If you think it is, why?

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Life is meaningless anyway. You might as well enjoy those brief moments of insanity you find in intimacy. I hear they're worth it.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Yeh, but the true schizo needs meds for life. The infactuation phase passes when real love sets in.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Yeh, but the true schizo needs meds for life. The infactuation phase passes when real love sets in.
    Point I was gonna make. Brain scans show that "infatuation" is like a mental illness, but also that it fades rather rapidly on the timescale of a real relationship (usually within a couple months). Besides, activating the same brain areas as schizophrenia doesn't mean it makes them do the same thing.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

On the contrary, I think it is like turning down a free Rolls-Royce with an unrepairable braking system. You can drive it around for a while, and it will be fun, but there an elevated risk of a deadly crash. Is it worth the risk?

If you think it is, why?
    Well, I was just being a smartass. My actual opinion is that evaluating love from a purely biological perspective is completely missing the point and misunderstanding the value of love. It's like evaluating the success of a trip to Las Vegas solely on the basis of money won or lost. It's like measuring the volume of a bucket with a thermometer.

I might also suggest that what from a scientific perspective appears illogical or schizophrenic behavior may in fact simply be behavior motivated by love instead of self-interest. If you and another person were both bitten by a snake and you had only one dose of antitdote, wouldn't it be considered illogical to give the antidote to the other person? What if that person were your wife? One man's "deadly crash" is another man's ultimate act of love.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    True, very true. Therefore, you could view the temporary insanity of early romance to be a necessary risk involved in the progression towards a stable long-term relationship.

To make my POV clear: I have never been in love, and I do not have any desire to pursue it. My preference has been strongly reinforced by the recent discoveries, since I will always avoid anything that I know will adversely affect my thinking. I view it similarly to addictive drugs.

And so it is with some bewilderment that I watch other people actually seeking love, even though it is known to make them irrational. Perhaps it is addictive. The brain patterns observed included sensations of euphoria, and maybe once a person has felt it, he feels like he needs more.

Anyway, I posted this thread out of curiosity about why others do this. I do not have much authority on the subject, so I am not trying to declare you all insane. I just want to know [I]why[I].

MBTI
    INFP

Visual similarity of scans of the cortex between and among different mental states do not indicate similarity between and among the states themselves.

Do you have data in support of this assertion?

Regardless, rationality and reason are but a part of life and the experience of the world. Such an experience as love transcends these things.

I don't value oughts, shoulds, and supposed-tos.

Alterations to the state and nature of the brain, whether by life experience or chemistry, are just that - alterations. The decision to make or experience such alterations are up to the individual(s) in question - there is no inherent value in those alterations themselves.

Based on my knowledge of the neurophysiology and endocrinology of the experience of love, it seems to promote well-being of the human being, even if it is an experience that does not fall within the more limited bounds of the rational mind.

cheers,
    Ian