User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: NTs and gadgets

Default NTs and gadgets

Do you find yourself getting all excited over new gadgets and well-engineered inventions? What are some one's you've come across lately that you've been interested in? Or some ones that really stick in your mind as being particularly awesome?

I find new gadgets and toys so great! I get such a kick out of them. Or even as a kid making one of those potato lamps for the first time was such a joy! Makes me feel like a giggly little girl.

Today I learned about the Big Green Egg. It's ancient technology, which kind of makes it even cooler and I won't go on and on about it here, but needless to say, I'd love to have one to play around with. Even if I never own one, I still love to read about the ins and outs of how it functions. And it's not just things like Home & Garden stuff or handheld devices, but things like this I find really interesting, too.

Anyway, anyone share my enthusiasm? Or even share some vague inclination of "like"? Got some cool inventions/technology to share?

MBTI
    ENTP

A potato lamp as in Dexter's laboratory ?

I never thought it would work

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't know much about gadgets, but I've noticed they're getting smaller, and their screens are getting bigger. And everyone's wowwwwwwww look at that.

Even though the new "gadget" exactly what the previous gadget did, actually what the previous 1000 gadgets did.

They're just making them flashier.

I saw this video on youtube, an entire apartment was full of screens, they had screens in the table, on the oven, in the mirrors, everywhere!

And it was called future tech. Even though there was nothing futuristic about it, just bigger screens. :laugh

I'm sort of ambivalent about gadgets. For instance I have no desire to own a 'smartphone', I bought an iPod for the first time only a year ago (and it took me a while to figure out how to use), and my computer is comparatively ancient (almost 10 years old). I do appreciate many feats of design, just not necessarily the flashy newfangled stuff.

For instance, I think this is brilliant:

It probably seems quite boring to most people, but I appreciate that that thing will probably last a century or more, whereas this:

will be lucky if it makes it more than three years before it ends up in a landfill.

I'll expound on my thoughts more later, if I remember to.

MBTI
    ----

poorly designed objects make me grumpy.

MBTI
    ENTP

Do you want them pink?

MBTI
    ----

sometimes. mostly i just want them to be functional and reliable.

do you want them to be pink?

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Even though the new "gadget" exactly what the previous gadget did, actually what the previous 1000 gadgets did.

They're just making them flashier.
    I've always wondered why people need to put TVs everywhere. Like on MTV Cribs all these guys have TVs in their kitchens, their bathrooms, their showers, their doorknobs, inside their washing machines. It's ridiculous.

And smartphones tend to have the same philosophy: the more of anything and everything we have, the better our product will be. Which is a stupid approach. You can Febreez dog poo as much as you want but it'll still stink and it'll still be dog poo. And it's aggravating to us consumers who don't want all the bullshit and just want something functional and well made.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I do appreciate many feats of design, just not necessarily the flashy newfangled stuff.

For instance, I think this is brilliant:

Agreed. But I guess the major attraction to (good) gadgets for me is how they work. And how well-designed, useful and simple they can be. It's like scientific theories. The most elegant and awe-inspiring are often the simplest. And the telephone is a remarkable invention. And so is the cellular phone. But now it's gotten to the point where it's an old horse that just needs to be retired. Let's move on to something more useful. More interesting. More "indicative of the future we're moving in to". It's like what guesswho said, we can call it future technology to give it allure, but is it really? Not really...

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    poorly designed objects make me grumpy.
    Yes. Same here.

ThatGirl

I always wanted a car with OnStar for some reason.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

If something has some sort of practical use, I'm interested...I think NTPs are more likely than NTJs to be interested in gadgets for their own sake.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window