User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Before I posted "Ne is useless in the military", I *almost* said "with the exception of working in the intelligence field". Certainly it could be applicable there. That would probably be the best fit as an officer. But, you're still in a Te environment, a Te organization, and you'll be doing the 8-to-5 thing and following all the protocols, rules, and regs. If one really wanted to unleash Ti/Ne, it'd be much better to own a business, get into some form of entrepreneurship. That way you could unleash Ne and get creative with stuff while analyzing and fine-tuning with Ti. No matter what you do in the military, you are owned by "the man". That just isn't ideal for NP's, IME.
    To add to this, maybe a form of partnership with another type who's more determined to put plan to action. While INTPs can do, it's not their strength so why not be the ideas man behind the scenes and let someone else front, with the more social aspects of schmoozing and putting plan to action.

On the enlisted side (or officer as well) of the Navy, the best fit would be the "nukes" - the guys who work on the bottom decks of aircraft carriers on the nuclear reactors/generators. I knew an INTP who went this route and the ones I knew on the ship all seemed like NTP's. This little "nuke community" on the ship really seemed to have their own thing going on. Nobody talked to them and they didn't talk to anyone else. You'd see them in the food line and they'd just stare at you. They were completely pale cuz they hadn't seen sunlight in months. Had their own area of the ship, their own little world. Some nuke links:
    http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=211672
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Power_School
    Hope you're not offended but this kind of makes me giggle since it aligns with the INTP stereotype of lurking in dark places and doing the Fe thing of clumping with their kind.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    To add to this, maybe a form of partnership with another type who's more determined to put plan to action. While INTPs can do, it's not their strength so why not be the ideas man behind the scenes and let someone else front, with the more social aspects of schmoozing and putting plan to action.
    The idea of that is a beautiful, wonderful thing. I'm sure it's something every INTP has given thought to. Having a front man to implement their ideas. You really have to be able to trust that person if they're going to be the one talking to other people and making connections, otherwise they could really undermine the operation, or even break off and form their own outfit, taking all the customers with them.

Hope you're not offended but this kind of makes me giggle since it aligns with the INTP stereotype of lurking in dark places and doing the Fe thing of clumping with their kind.
    No, these guys were so typical of the stereotype it was scary. I would see them and I would think, "I really should be working with those guys" (cuz I hated what I did and I knew that I was capable of doing what they did; plus I knew they were "my kind" ), but I really didn't envy them at all. I wouldn't want to spend an entire 6-month cruise locked in with a bunch of INTP's. Thanks, but no thanks. Give me E's and S's, and J's and F's...at least it provides some variety.

You could always tell which ones they were in the food line too. The jet mechanics would have grease all over shirts/hands, the flight deck workers would all be sunburned or really tan from working outdoors all day, and then you'd see a group of nukes standing in line - totally pale and reading a Spiderman comicbook.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP

Thanks everyone for your insights. The impression I've gotten is that a person's type is much more natural than learned. That's unfortunate to read, but not altogether surprising. Nonetheless, I'll try to develop as many ENTJ functions as I can within the context of my own personality. I still have four semesters of schooling before I graduate; I hope to make some significant progress in that time.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Eleventhpin View Post
    Thanks everyone for your insights. The impression I've gotten is that a person's type is much more natural than learned. That's unfortunate to read, but not altogether surprising. Nonetheless, I'll try to develop as many ENTJ functions as I can within the context of my own personality. I still have four semesters of schooling before I graduate; I hope to make some significant progress in that time.
    That's so frustrating to read. Why is it "unfortunate" that you're INTP? Embrace who you are and be the best that you can be. That's the only time you'll feel "at home" with who you are - comfortable in your own skin. It's not a curse to be INTP.

Also, didn't realize you're in Tokyo. Maybe the military is different there. A lot of my stories may not be applicable to you.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

INTP's are awesome O.O
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

As much I would want to be the behind the scenes man, I also have gotten to understand that it is also the best way to lead people as an INTP. There are many different leader roles eventhough it seems in the military theres not an openness to more than one leader role.

Ive been the one my bosses go to when there where issues regarding project completions and so on, the one my coworkers went to for professional support and mentoring, even after only being there for three months. Ive been the spokesperson for my coworkers more than the other way around. I may not have had the title but Ive always been in some kind of position where people looked to me for leadership, also beyond the working enviroment. I have found that taking on a role of leadership is not difficult or uncomfortable for me I thrive under it actually. Am I you typical general stereotype? No, but I could be one when that is needed.

Yes some INTPs can be quite like described in the quote. But I think any introverted type would be able to be as described in the quote. Behavior does not mean you are a specific personality type. But I think most people are aware of that on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    As much I would want to be the behind the scenes man, I also have gotten to understand that it is also the best way to lead people as an INTP. There are many different leader roles eventhough it seems in the military theres not an openness to more than one leader role.

Ive been the one my bosses go to when there where issues regarding project completions and so on, the one my coworkers went to for professional support and mentoring, even after only being there for three months. Ive been the spokesperson for my coworkers more than the other way around. I may not have had the title but Ive always been in some kind of position where people looked to me for leadership, also beyond the working enviroment. I have found that taking on a role of leadership is not difficult or uncomfortable for me I thrive under it actually. Am I you typical general stereotype? No, but I could be one when that is needed.

Yes some INTPs can be quite like described in the quote. But I think any introverted type would be able to be as described in the quote. Behavior does not mean you are a specific personality type. But I think most people are aware of that on this forum.
    Ever been bombarded by demands to decision-make on the fly with much at stake, riding on your decisions? When I say bombarded, let's use the set number of say 35 at any given time where for every 35 decisions you make, more comes down the pike. Bluntly speaking, this type of environment wouldn't be a comfortable situation for any deep thinker.

Having said that, it doesn't mean that INTPs aren't capable of leadership. In slower environments where INTPs can play to their strengths of having the luxury of time to consider decisions by examining all aspects, I can see an INTP flourishing in a "lead by example" leadership role. That is, the type of INTP who's not on the extreme end of introversion, where social contact is viewed as an irritant.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

My way of leading hasn't got to do without much social contact at all. But rather emitting professional, yet relaxed and easy going signals to my employees. I sometimes compare myself with being a bit of a string puppeteer. Steering and guiding people towards their goals one string at a time, leaving them to initiate the rest by themselves.

In our company there is a very homely and relaxed attitude, and our recruitment rate is very low for a mostly part time work environment. People just stick around and like it here. Which is unseen at pretty much all other companies in our market. And because of it, we have profited from a lot of customers sticking with our companies because of the people we have working here.

So I agree, that there are many more ways to lead, and an INTP is perfectly capable of being in a leadership position. (Actually it may even be prefered, because I've never done very well with people leading me. >.> )

But aye, as far as the military goes. My personal style of how I lead this company, is not something you would see happening in a military unit. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Ever been bombarded by demands to decision-make on the fly with much at stake, riding on your decisions? When I say bombarded, let's use the set number of say 35 at any given time where for every 35 decisions you make, more comes down the pike. Bluntly speaking, this type of environment wouldn't be a comfortable situation for any deep thinker.

Having said that, it doesn't mean that INTPs aren't capable of leadership. In slower environments where INTPs can play to their strengths of having the luxury of time to consider decisions by examining all aspects, I can see an INTP flourishing in a "lead by example" leadership role. That is, the type of INTP who's not on the extreme end of introversion, where social contact is viewed as an irritant.
    Yeah, I relate to this quite a bit. Your example of 35 rapid-fire decisions - I hate to say it, but situations like that sometimes make me think, "I need an ExTJ! Quick, where's my ExTJ!" I really do much better when I can think things through, map them out, mull them over in my head, sleep on them, etc. I have to let things "saturate" a bit.

An example was yesterday when I went to a "fair" where vendors are there talking about what they can do for you. Financial advisors, bankers (home buying, loans), etc. I went up to one financial advisor and he gives me his "speech" about what he can do for me, etc. I said, "I'm interested in investing more, but the time isn't now. Can I get your card so that when that time comes, I can call you?" He said, "Nobody who takes my card ever ends up calling me. They always say 'I'll invest more next year or at some later date', but that later date never comes. If you want to invest more, I suggest that you do it now."

That, to me, feels like a form of pressure. I cannot (and will not) make that decision "on the spot". I haven't given it enough thought yet. I need more time. A lot of J's are able to say, "OK, yeah, sign me up. I'll put an extra $300/month into my investment portfolio." It's hard for me to react quickly like that because I often end up regretting my decision. I can only reach "the best decision" when I've had time to mull it over in my brain. Anyone who tries to pressure me for a quick decision: :banned:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    My way of leading hasn't got to do without much social contact at all. But rather emitting professional, yet relaxed and easy going signals to my employees. I sometimes compare myself with being a bit of a string puppeteer. Steering and guiding people towards their goals one string at a time, leaving them to initiate the rest by themselves.

In our company there is a very homely and relaxed attitude, and our recruitment rate is very low for a mostly part time work environment. People just stick around and like it here. Which is unseen at pretty much all other companies in our market. And because of it, we have profited from a lot of customers sticking with our companies because of the people we have working here.

So I agree, that there are many more ways to lead, and an INTP is perfectly capable of being in a leadership position. (Actually it may even be prefered, because I've never done very well with people leading me. >.> )

But aye, as far as the military goes. My personal style of how I lead this company, is not something you would see happening in a military unit. :P
    I relate to much of this as well. Guide them in the right direction by helping them to see the overall mission and the direction we are going in, but much of the implementation has to be left to them. I need you to have a certain level of competence, cuz I don't have time to babysit. I can help you, provide training, be a mentor, you can come to me with your issues, open door policy, etc, but please don't be a 4-year old. Be competent.