• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How do measure success?

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
"How do YOU measure success." Oops! :cheese:

-------------------------

Do you consider it something that can be measured? If so, how?

By money made? Perspectives gained? Goals achieved? To what level?

Or is success to you something that can't be measured quantitatively? Like...success is a feeling based on a vague set of parametres?

I've been pondering this lately. Wouldn't mind some input from others!

wolfy

awsm
I compare myself to others. To the extent I beat you, I am a success.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Success: Finding out and completing what you were put on this earth to do.

PH.

MBTI Type
INTP
Succes is very subjective. What one might consider as succes someone else doesn't.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
"How do YOU measure success." Oops! :cheese:

-------------------------

Do you consider it something that can be measured? If so, how?

By money made? Perspectives gained? Goals achieved? To what level?

Or is success to you something that can't be measured quantitatively? Like...success is a feeling based on a vague set of parametres?

I've been pondering this lately. Wouldn't mind some input from others!

I measure success by the extent of positive outcomes... this can be monetary, emotional, social...etc... the irony of me answering this question is not lost on me.

rav3n

Success is when you're predominantly happy and content with your life.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I compare myself to others. To the extent I beat you, I am a success.

So what forms does "beating someone" take? And in which instances? (ie. making more money, having more friends, running more miles, finishing faster, etc.)

Success: Finding out and completing what you were put on this earth to do.

But what if we weren't put on this earth to do anything? And what if what we were put on this earth to do couldn't possibly completed in one lifetime? Would you still be successful even if you completed part of it?

Succes is very subjective. What one might consider as succes someone else doesn't.

Haha, of course. Still doesn't answer the question. :laugh: That's why I'm asking it.

wolfy

awsm
So what forms does "beating someone" take? And in which instances? (ie. making more money, having more friends, running more miles, finishing faster, etc.)

It was said partly tongue in cheek. But, some of success can be measured in that way. To know what success is you need to recognise average performance and measure yourself against it. So, all those things are measures of success. You do get to choose what measures are important to you. And there are more soft measures of success. And also the question of what is overall success, which is entirely individualistic.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find it a wonder that we, as a collective, intuitively quantify "wealth" in the form of money. As the numbers go up, the more valuable an object is. Go down, worthless. There seems to be a clash between wealth defined by our biological selves and wealth defined by nature + environment...

Where does subjectivity, our individualities, come from?

---

The only way for me to objectify "success" is by looking at it from a nature point of view. From the moment we start to "live", there is a certain way of life that grants us positive emotion. If you follow your biological preference, you will be successful.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i dont define other peoples success by any standards, because everyone has their own wants from life. if someone lives to get money, then i measure their success on how much money they have gained. if someone lives to understand the world and doesent care much about money, then i measure their success on how much understanding they have gained. etc etc

syndatha

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
The Ms of success:

Meaningfulness
Morals
Money
Matrimony
Mansion
Mighty
Mirror-friendly

:nice:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think certain aspects of success can be measured, as a whole it's much more subjective. a few things you can measure though are
1) how much money do you make?
2) how many hours a day do you spend doing what you want to?
3) how many hours a day do you spend doing things you DON'T want to?
4) how much free time do you have?

no measurable aspects include
1) how relaxed are you?
2) how to you feel about your appearence?
3) how spiritually content are you?
4) how comfortable are you?
5) do you have all the material possessions you want?
6) are you passionate about your livelihood?
7) do you feel accomplished?

metasapiens

MBTI Type
N>JI
I measure the goal. Parameters are the quantities of intellectual and moral courage requiered to reach the goal. High quantities -> high goal -> high success, obviously.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
Success for me is when I do something I didn't expect myself to do. Whether the public looks upon it as a positive or negative value.

EDIT: Which means I'm not very successful at all.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Increasingly, by the sustainability of my happiness. For me, that usually includes plenty of time for beauty, sensory experience enjoyed, and the happiness of my family.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Here's my personal one:
• Having a healthy lifestyle (active, good diet)
• Being intellectually curious in my day-to-day life
• Creativity used in my day-to-day life
• Mentoring others and being mentored
• Keeping in touch with how I’m doing. Knowing how I’m feeling.
• Checking that I’m putting my energy in the right places (right people, etc.)
• Having a sense of humor

wolfy

awsm
Success is when you're predominantly happy and content with your life.

I think that is part of it. But the feeling that you are successful and the abiliy to be successful probably depends on the ability to hold two disparate ideas in your mind at the same time. I am happy and content, I want and have drive for more. To hold those ideas and not freak out in either direction.

I kind of feel that being happy and content you'll never be completely happy and content is part of it.

rav3n

I think that is part of it. But the feeling that you are successful and the abiliy to be successful probably depends on the ability to hold two disparate ideas in your mind at the same time. I am happy and content, I want and have drive for more. To hold those ideas and not freak out in either direction.

I kind of feel that being happy and content you'll never be completely happy and content is part of it.
Perhaps this is the human condition, that we always need to strive for more. But why? I sit in a place, that was my goal for so long. And now, it's not enough since what did I lose to get here and what could I have gained in another direction? And yet, no real regrets since it's provided a solid foundation to leverage off of. Need to keep growing. But where?

Kind of inconclusive which as a J, it's not a comfortable place to be.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I find it a wonder that we, as a collective, intuitively quantify "wealth" in the form of money. As the numbers go up, the more valuable an object is. Go down, worthless. There seems to be a clash between wealth defined by our biological selves and wealth defined by nature + environment...

Where does subjectivity, our individualities, come from?

---

The only way for me to objectify "success" is by looking at it from a nature point of view. From the moment we start to "live", there is a certain way of life that grants us positive emotion. If you follow your biological preference, you will be successful.

This pretty much sums up how I, personally, think about the matter. But just a question, what instances does our biological sense of wealth clash with the wealth defined by our nature/environment/society?

i dont define other peoples success by any standards, because everyone has their own wants from life. if someone lives to get money, then i measure their success on how much money they have gained. if someone lives to understand the world and doesent care much about money, then i measure their success on how much understanding they have gained. etc etc

This is definitely the best approach for maximum understanding. Kind of my intention with this thread. And it's interesting to see how people's ideas about success change as they reach the pinnacle of their old ideas of success. And how goals are constantly changing and being redefined. Even if it's not happening consciously.