User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Permabanned

I can definitely be competitive. Once there is something I want to do I can literally go days just consuming myself entirely with that task. Basketball, poker, even board games like risk...these are things that I have spent a lot of time on. I think I do it to prove to myself that if I really wanted to be good at something...anything...I could do it. (Which isn't true) If I define "good" as "better than most" then I can be absolutely ruthless when it comes to achieving what I set out to.

The thing is..I don't define "good" as "better than others" a lot of the time..so to an outsider I definitely could see how I could come off as non-competitive..despite almost always working hard (just not on things people think matter..lol)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

They can be competitive, especially in the intellectual and financial realm (not so much material). Examples: Paul Wilmott and Warren Buffet. An INTP teacher of mine was national bridge champion.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

That's a tough question for me to answer, so I'll split it up a bit.

- When gaming I am very competative. I like competative games and I like winning at them.
    - At work, within the company, there isn't much competition going on. I already do most of the work anyways. xD
    - On the market. Business to business. I am casually competative. I respond to signals on the market when it's needed, but as much as possible I try to follow a unique path and try to differentiate from other companies rather than compete with them. So that's where my excess thought goes into.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioINTP View Post
    You're an INTP again?
    Well I'm not 100% sure, there's no way to definitively prove it but it does seem to be the best fit type for me of the 16.

I know not everyone on the forum thinks I'm INTP and in some ways I'm atypical of an INTP but if you assigned me to one of the other 15 types, I think you'd find I'd be an even more atypical representative.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    For some reason, I have an image in my head of INTPs as sloth like, moving when necessary, slow sometimes. their diet may be mostly of plants, occasionally some meat but mainly plants, sort bordering on vegan or vegan. how off am I? are Intps competitive? what does INTP competitiveness look like?
    This is the mix of the Interaction Style with the conative temperament. Interaction Style, which is basically a social skills temperament, is Phlegmatic, or a newly discovered one, called Supine. These are both very passive, from both the introversion, and perceiving, of the INP preference.
    However, the conative (Keirseyan) temperament is about action and leadership. NT is both pragmatic and structure focused, and this is where the type's competitiveness comes in. This is actually the Choleric temperament, (though Keirsey said it was Phlegmatic based on a different method of correlating them to the ancient ones).

So for INTP's, there is a pull in two directions, with the social temperament pulling him to be passive and easygoing, and the conative temperament pulling him to be aggressive and strict. So what happens, is the social level is what appears on the surface, yet underneath it, there is this competitiveness that comes up when he feels someone is crossing some sort of boundary. (It could be his own personal boundaries, or if he sees something he thinks is stupid and needs to be challenged).

A type like ENTP openly looks more competitive because of the extraversion. The Sanguine (ENP) and Choleric blend together into a very aggressive mix. So they will be quicker to approach a person or situation for competition. The INTP is like a subdued version of this, not approaching nearly as fast; so it is more reactive.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP

I think that Fe can supply very powerful competitive motivation, but Ti makes it less apparent, and somewhat distorted. I know that when I am very competitive about something, my solipsistic Ti can bring me to assume I have more control over events than I actually do, and I can be very hard on myself if I lose a golf match, my main competitive sport. Ti makes me overanalyze everything I did wrong throughout the course of the round, and its detached, internalizing nature often puts me out of touch with realistic expectations. Fe then often throws tantrums or directs very negative emotions at myself for not playing perfectly.
    There is a fundamental conviction which some people never acquire, some hold only in their youth, and a few hold to the end of their days--the conviction that ideas matter.The nature of this conviction? That ideas matter means that knowledge matters, that truth matters, that one’s mind matters. And the radiance of that certainty, in the process of growing up, is the best aspect of youth.
    -Ayn Rand

MBTI
    INTP

As far as ambition, it is pretty wavering. Healthy INTPs spend a lot of time gathering insight and information, then act in some grand creative enterprise, though they will still need to spend a lot of time gathering and reflecting even while that plan is operational. I'm writing a novel, and where an INTJ might do research and then write straight through, I research somewhat casually and recreationally through out the process. There has to be a close unity between the goal and the journey.
    There is a fundamental conviction which some people never acquire, some hold only in their youth, and a few hold to the end of their days--the conviction that ideas matter.The nature of this conviction? That ideas matter means that knowledge matters, that truth matters, that one’s mind matters. And the radiance of that certainty, in the process of growing up, is the best aspect of youth.
    -Ayn Rand

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

lol!

case study 1: dad - nearly carnivorous. often heard saying "is there more meat?". ambitious in the sense that he fought his way through competitive schooling to earn a prestigious degree from a highly-respected institution. not particularly competitive otherwise, but he'll whip your ass in trivia on his pet topics. pushes himself hard to improve in the things he cares about.

case study 2: brother - primary food group is chicken. not competitive but enjoys being intellectually superior (or so he claims (but he really is damn smart)). also pushes himself hard in the things he cares about.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I'm really not competitive at all. At least not enough to exert any sort of effort to make myself better than anybody else. I'm sitting in the third quarter of my senior class at a very competitive high school and don't feel a need to try any harder. I did still get automatic admission to one of my chosen colleges. Even in personal endeavors, I feel no need to be the best. I have a decent level of competence in the piano, the sax, the guitar, and the ukulele, as well as musical composition and poetry. But I'm not the best or anything and I'm pretty okay with that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Not in the traditional sense of being competitive

In general winning doesn't really bother me much. I will repeat the mantra of this thread that the main competitor of the INTP is his/her own self.

If someone is "depending on me" (or even more important is a precedent/addresses a slippery slope involving key values)I generally will use willpower to force myself to win.

Higher values ( intellectual questions, debate or serious impact) pursuits are of much greater importance than the physical (sports) [perhaps with fucking as an exception to that rule].

For example I am pretty disinterested in competition when it comes to billiards although I like to play. I have to force myself by pure willpower, against my mostly aloof nature, to be focused at winning at gambling or even fist fights.

I really hate to say this about myself [and by inferance, my type] and if I could change this I would; but in "important" matters, desire not to lose (avoid punishment) is in general a stronger even hardwired motivator than avarice for a gratification (reward seeking). Despite this I use willpower to act in the opposite of my nature by having a policy not giving into fear/punishment and instead avoid giving those who punish me what they want and only giving positive response in reply to positive treatment.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"