User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Procrastination Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    The NT theory... if there is a problem, there is a drug for said problem

Or not. I've discovered that taking such chemical interventions make my performance worse. As for the procrastination for the OP:
    1) Why do you procrastinate?
    2) What strategies have you tried to prevent this habit?
    3) How long does it take before you realise that you're procrastinating?
    4) When you start realising it at time 3), what do you do?
    5) Do others know that you're procrastinating?
    6) Would you be able to commit, say, 2 hours away from the computer to study each day [or at least every two days]? If not, why?
    7) How much time do you spend online versus study time?
    8) Do you feel like you want your computer to be stuck to you biologically? [laughs!]

These questions are a good start in diagnosing the 'badness' of procrastination you're having at the moment.
    Even when we have lost hope in resolving the problems we have, we are still fundamentally part and parcel of the world. By virtue of this understanding, we can do anything realisable within the universe. [So don't give up ]

If you don't like the way this universe is - go somewhere else!" - Richard Feynman

What do you think about me?

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    The NT theory... if there is a problem, there is a drug for said problem

got chaos?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Lies. I took Ritalin, which is the same thing. It works for a week or two, then your body builds a tolerance.
    Our 35th President of the United States disagrees.

"I don't care if it's horse piss. It works."
    - JFK, June 1962

... Which was in response to his brother's, Attorney General Robert Kennedy's, requisition to stop using Jacobson's amphetamine injections.

He took a dose of amphetamines before his legendary "Ich Bin Ein Berliner" speech according to a clinical (now-declassified) CIA study on foreign leaders. (Post, Jerrold M. and Robins, Robert S. When Illness Strikes the Leader: The Dilemma of the Captive King. New Haven, CT: [a] pp. 69-70)

Interestingly enough, Hitler's personal doctor was the individual who synthesized the first amphetamine compound at his request for an effective cognitive enhancement pharmaceutical. Obviously Hitler was already psychotic coming into the political realm, the amphetamines just extinguished his last bit of moral sentiment.

Personally, I harmonize with JFKs review of the product.
    got chaos?

When it comes to breaking the habit of procrastination:
    --Discover your optimal time frames. Figure out how long you would work on something at the last minute, and give yourself exactly that same window but start earlier.
    --Break up a task into bite-size chunks. If it's hard to get started on a project, break the project into steps and try tackling the second or third step first, to get some momentum.
    --Stop when you say you will. We sometimes procrastinate by not finishing, or by working on something for an undefined amount of time, making it more daunting to get started next time. So determine how long you'll work on something and stick to it. Set a timer. Allow 5 minutes for your wrap-up, indicate your next action (make some notes about where you are and where you go next), and then stop.
    --Devise 3 approaches: minimum, moderate, and maximum. Opt for minimum or moderate when possible. (This helps you realize there are more options than disaster or perfection.)
    --Dramatically shift focus. Train yourself to take a break at the point of diminishing returns. Go do something unrelated.
    --Build in checkpoints. Establish natural progress breaks to step away from the work and come back fresh to evaluate it.

When it comes to breaking the habit of chronic lateness (procrastination causes you to run late for everything):
    --Latecomers are referred to as time optimists, in that they are always overly optimistic about how much they can fit into a day. So become a time realist. Buy a stop watch and practice time estimating. Put a time estimate next to every task on your to-do list. Then use your stopwatch to find out how much time it really takes.
    --Arrive 10 minutes early everywhere you go. And have something interesting to do while you wait. (Bring a book to read.)
    --Change your excuses. Instead of a dramatic re-enactment of what went wrong, simply apologize for being late: "I apologize for being late. I have a problem arriving places on time, and I'm working to improve it. I really don't mean to be rude."
    --Avoid the just-one-more-task syndrome. Make it a rule that you may not add any new tasks at the last moment if it wasn't on your plan.
    --Ban all rushing. If you're feeling like you're having to rush to get ready, that's the signal that you're trying to do too much. Take one thing out of your list of preparations and slow down.
    --Create a cheat sheet for how long things really take. Time things, create a reference list of the lengths of common tasks (getting out the door in the morning, shopping, etc.) that you can refer to when planning your day.

When it comes to breaking the habit of mindless escapes (TV, video games, email checking, internet surfing, shopping, etc. as a means of procrastinating), high points include:
    --Engage more deeply: When bored or anxious, listen more closely to the conversation, notice the environment--visual cues, sounds, scents, etc.
    --Place alternatives within easy reach: Set up activities/alternatives ahead of time so that when tempted by a bad habit, the fixes are right there.

(From the book "Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life" by Julie Morgenstern)

Alexander the Terrible Array yenom's Avatar

The cure for procrastination- There is no such thing as procrastination
    You dignose yourself with a problem that doesn't exist.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.