Thread: NT Spirituality

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Default NT Spirituality

Because I was curious, and didn't find a similar thread right away. If one is found sufficient to replace this one, let me know

For the purposes of this thread:

-Spiritual-
    1: of, or relating to, supernatural beings or phenomena

What degree is NT spirituality different from the other types, if at all?

Are NTs really less spirtual than NFs? How much effect does the T have in affirming or rejecting the supernatural? Do spiritual NTs differ in their approach to the unknown and the value of such?

(I'll start with only those questions and talk about it more later, as to not skew my poll from the beginning.)
    Last edited by LunaLuminosity; 03-09-2011 at 08:38 PM.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

I just have a visceral sentiment when I understand how the world works. Nothing more, nothing less. "Spirituality", in my books, is what you get if you try to find meaning, which would be human-tainted in these genuine feelings of awe and wonder about the universe.

What more could I want? I don't need to stick labels or even describe such sentiments. They are what they are and requires no further interpretation.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    xNTj

I voted non-spiritual. I said this on the other thread but there should have been a
    Non-spiritual but philosophical option.

I don't deny the possibility of the supernatural, but all my ethics and particularly my motivations are educed without incorporating any specific spiritual or superstitious concepts.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Is there a way to edit the poll at all after it has been posted?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i think its some misunderstanding of your own psyche
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ultimawepun View Post
    I voted non-spiritual. I said this on the other thread but there should have been a
    Non-spiritual but philosophical option.

I don't deny the possibility of the supernatural, but all my ethics and particularly my motivations are educed without incorporating any specific spiritual or superstitious concepts.
    I think I use "spiritual" and "philosophical" in much the same way, in regard to grand transcendent patterns in the universe. For some reason, balance and structure is experienced by me as some transcendent force -- or, put another way, the experience of truth is also my experience of beauty and vice versa, and I credit that as a form of spirituality because it transcends me as a mortal, tangible being.

My general observation of NT vs NF spiritality is that NT is more detached/impersonal and views it systematically, while NF is more apt to personalize it (into a being/beings/community).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    xNTj

@Jennifer
    It's just a matter of definition. Many consider spirituality as philosophy, but the reverse isn't always true.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i think its some misunderstanding of your own psyche
    If you were talking about me, then I'd argue that it's the same for every other belief.

But this is mine:

Morality, is a herd instinct in an individual.

Objectively, anything is bad if it's against the benefit of mankind. And anything beyond that is arguably subjective.

On the meaning of life: we are all animals in the end, and at birth, we are innately programmed to live and help benefit our own kind. Because of this, I think the meaning of life—and I'm referring to the state of being alive—isn't something that can be answered through philosophy, but through science.

Therefore, as long as you meet what is expected of you as a human or living being (objective), then you can do whatever you want as a sentient being (subjective).

And why is that people can't accept science as an answer? Is empathy not as beautiful if there weren't a magical force that intervenes? Must your motivations be beyond physical to give it importance? Is love not as romantic if it's bound by the possibility-filled reality called life? Is it not enough?

But what's really great about what I believe in is that it can be analyzed and be given more depth. Unlike the stagnant bases for other beliefs, which even the believers themselves do not understand, my belief's bases continue to grow.

inb4 comments about evangelism, I just wanted to share my opinion. I absolutely will not force anything onto anyone. Also, I copy pasted two of my comments from INTJ forum to this post. I am lazy.

MBTI
    INTP

Would humanism fall strictly into non-spiritual, or just barely spiritual?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Would humanism fall strictly into non-spiritual, or just barely spiritual?
    Yeah, humanism and/or some sort of broad philanthropism, which almost can take on a spiritual facet?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTe

This poll marginalizes by non-acknowledgment those religious folks who are spiritually vacant.
    I know they're out there.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?