User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default INTP relationship with their body

As an INTP, I have a somewhat ambivalent relationship with my body. I guess this a reflection of the fact that prefer the mental realm to interaction with the physical environment as a whole.

I quite like the idea of being a disembodied consciousness (not a "brain in a vat", rather a completely incorporeal mind). Don't get me wrong, the human body is beautifully designed and has some very important uses. However it would be cool to have my mind-including both thoughts and emotions- as well as the five senses (most importantly sight and hearing) without the restrictions of a material body.

What do you think?
    "But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be." - Dead Poets Society

Enneagram: 5w4 sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

This sounds very familiar. I often don't notice my body unless it has certain needs (cold, hunger, etc.) and only once in a while zoom in on the physical part of me.

But I have recently decided that this is unhealthy and I am now trying to consciously reconnect, be nice to it and feel how the soles of my feet touch the ground. That immediately creates a connection running through the entire body from the soles to the brain. It's hard to describe. Or when I am under the shower, I try to not see it as cleaning this object under my neck but to sense how it is part of "me" (whatever "I" means).

It's not that I perceive my body as something foreign or bothersome, I actually like it, I just often forget it is there.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I used to view my body as a "diving suit" that my mind wore in its explorations of the world. So I owned it, but it really wasn't identified as "me." This had pro's and con's. It did mean I had pretty amazing control over pain with my body, that I could do things without really noticing signals of exhaustion or stress from my body, etc, much as you can force a car to run even when the engine light comes on. I also could just try to ignore aspects of my body I did not like.

But over the years, I had came into a more growing acceptance of my physical body. It's not really 'separate" from me, it's part of me, and when I run it into the ground, things happen to it that impact my mind's ability to function. My body affects my mood, for good or ill. Being "in" my body has left me feeling pain much more sharply when it occurs (and being susceptible to body responses to pain), but it has also left me feeling exquisite sensations that are worth the experience to be immersed in. It's rather amazing, how sensate the body actually is. And being in my body helps me also feel like I have tangible power in the world, rather than just being floating in ether.

I think age kind of demands growing awareness of the body. Our healing processes slow down, things hurt more than they used to, aches and pains appear, and the things we could do without care when we were 20 now cause us more serious harm at twice that age and at the least distraction as the body puts out signals showing us we need to slow down.

I just see understanding the role the body plays in my identity as part of what it means to be a human being and not just a mind.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I used to view my body as a "diving suit" that my mind wore in its explorations of the world. So I owned it, but it really wasn't identified as "me." This had pro's and con's. It did mean I had pretty amazing control over pain with my body, that I could do things without really noticing signals of exhaustion or stress from my body, etc, much as you can force a car to run even when the engine light comes on. I also could just try to ignore aspects of my body I did not like.
    Lol. I actually still have this point of view. I always saw me body as a tool I use rather than really something that defines me as a person. I'm also quite insensible to pain and exhaustion, f.e., I can easily run longer & faster than most people I know, not because I have more stamina, but because they run until they're exhausted - I run until I fall over because my muscles reject to work anymore. Though I'm only 18, so I'm probably a youngling in your eyes anyway.^^
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

Of the two typed INTPs and third guessed INTP experienced in real life, they appeared to view their bodies as instruments to understand and finely tune, same as their minds or anything else that tweaked their interests. No idea what their enneagram types are.

I sometimes wonder about the steretype that some INTPs and others believe, where INTPs are oblivious to sensory input. Either I've known unusual INTPs or the stereotype isn't accurate.

MBTI
    INTP

I like my body. I love my body.

Permabanned

If given the chance to "download" myself into a robot body...I'd do it in an instant. A body that doesn't hurt..doesn't sweat..doesn't need food..doesn't need to take a shower...this is what science should be working on.

That being said I do look after my body. It's not something I enjoy doing but I recognize the importance of doing it.

MBTI
    INtP

I don't mind having a body, but I just wish it could take care of itself...

MBTI
    INTe

We go for long periods barely on speaking terms. Then it punishes me for attention.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Freaks.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...