User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Essence View Post
    As an INTP, I have a somewhat ambivalent relationship with my body. I guess this a reflection of the fact that prefer the mental realm to interaction with the physical environment as a whole.

I quite like the idea of being a disembodied consciousness (not a "brain in a vat", rather a completely incorporeal mind). Don't get me wrong, the human body is beautifully designed and has some very important uses. However it would be cool to have my mind-including both thoughts and emotions- as well as the five senses (most importantly sight and hearing) without the restrictions of a material body.

What do you think?
    I know i'm not an intp, but as far as i've heard, we ENFPs are another type that lives for the most part in its head, and can occasionally forget about that body.

For me though i find this idea upsetting, and i do feel happier when i get very physical for a while. It grounds me, and releases tension that can't be released mentally.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

I find myself both attractive and annoyed by it. I'm very healthy, young, and all that jazz. That's all I care about as far as my body goes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

I became much more aware of it and in tune with it after doing LSD. what does this mean? I have no idea.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm typically very oblivious. Very, very oblivious. I get so lost in thought and daydreams that I do sometimes forget that I have a physical presence that's constantly interacting with the world around it, that me just being somewhere is having the effect of me displacing things that might otherwise have been where ever that 'somewhere' happens to be. It's curious for me then, that at other times, I can be intensely interested in my body - or rather, how my body moves and what it can do if applied. My hobbies revolve around very limited forms of Martial Arts/Free Running and in those instances I can become obsessive about how something is performed in order to achieve the desired effect. In particular, I have an intense interest in how some Martial Arts - oriental ones spring to mind - achieve the intense power generation that they can accomplish and it's at those times that I am overtly conscious in my body. I have, on occasion, caught myself staring at my hand, or wrist or forearm or some other part of me that's needed to accomplish a certain motion for a certain reason and - it is, in these instances - that I feel my most powerful and my most vulnerable.

Most of the time I'm a total space-cadet though. |:

What's a body?

Quote Originally Posted by Dillan View Post
    I'm typically very oblivious. Very, very oblivious. I get so lost in thought and daydreams that I do sometimes forget that I have a physical presence that's constantly interacting with the world around it, that me just being somewhere is having the effect of me displacing things that might otherwise have been where ever that 'somewhere' happens to be.

Most of the time I'm a total space-cadet though. |:
    +1 pretty much this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I don't know about INTPs, but I know that as an INTJ, I find the idea very unappealing. I'd much prefer a body that I can control than no body at all. If I could turn pain off at will, or walk through walls, or any number of other things that would be great, but just being a consciousness without a body doesn't seem particularly attractive.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I don't know about INTPs, but I know that as an INTJ, I find the idea very unappealing. I'd much prefer a body that I can control than no body at all. If I could turn pain off at will, or walk through walls, or any number of other things that would be great, but just being a consciousness without a body doesn't seem particularly attractive.
    Not suprising. This seems to be an INTP thing much more than an INTJ thing. Anecdotal evidence both in real life and on the forum seems to point at this: INTPs forgetting or neglecting their body and INTJs mastering and controlling it. Of course it's not black and white, but I see this trend.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Essence View Post
    it would be cool to have my mind-including both thoughts and emotions- as well as the five senses (most importantly sight and hearing) without the restrictions of a material body.
    You've essentially described the dreams I remember when I wake up....

MBTI
    INTP

I often do feel like my body has wishes of its own that I cannot control, rather than being unified with my personality.

One thing I am curious about, related to this, is obesity rates for INTPs. Most INTPs I know are extremely skinny, reflecting that indifference to sensate experience, but I am somewhat heavyset, precisely because my sensate needs feel so detached from my personality, and I will often eat too much without a sense of autonomous control over the process. Or I'll overtrain when I do exercise. It feels like my body keeps moving on its own regardless of how much I might convince myself that I've already exercised enough for the day. Anybody else have the experience of detachment manifesting as hyper-attachment to the sensory?
    There is a fundamental conviction which some people never acquire, some hold only in their youth, and a few hold to the end of their days--the conviction that ideas matter.The nature of this conviction? That ideas matter means that knowledge matters, that truth matters, that one’s mind matters. And the radiance of that certainty, in the process of growing up, is the best aspect of youth.
    -Ayn Rand

@quidtimeam

I do have a similar thing with eating. When I eat something I like, I just keep eating untill my stomach hurts for the rest of the day, and only then I realise I've been full for quite some time. This only occurs when I eat food I really like. In particular the texture of the food. Mostly I forget to eat though

Being able to live with just a mind has been my childs dream. I don't even want the five senses per se, I just want to think and discover how the universe and everything works. And no, you don't need the senses for that the way I envision it. It's more a... being part of everything mentally thing. I also really don't want to die. The knowledge of having a body that deteriorates frightens me. As if your body is trying to hold you back from being.