User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: NTP and Fe

  1. #1
    Senior Member Cypocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/
    Posts
    252

    Default NTP and Fe

    I just had one of my more profound conversations with a 20 year old INTP girl. We were talking about Fe (kinda), and she was asking me (sort of)...

    "Why do you look for your niche, and wouldn't you be happy just being individualistic?"

    Being the INTP that she is, she does see a bit of pretension on my part doing some degree of social conformity (Fe). She's that smart to see the "facade".

    Being a self proclaimed ENTP, currently 29 years old (who doesn't really have a very strong sense of extroversion), I thought that maybe most INTPs will just be reformed into this more ENTP-ish phase once they get older. Honestly, I really feel more INTP-ish years ago.

    But I'm kinda letting go of my INTP-ish angst, and over years, I'm kinda developing my Ne and Fe, and letting go of my grip on my Ti. You have to admit, INTPs do cling too much to their Ti.

    ______________

    The way I see it...there's a certain degree of fluidity and flexibility that Ne and Fe provides that Ti can't give. It's like Ti has its own sense of rigid self-imposed logic.

    Any ENTPs here that can relate to this?

    It's like, you need to have a certain degree of social conformity (Fe) and creative flexibility (Ne) to pursue individualistic agendas. The individuality is still there in the agenda, but you need to make some compromises, instead of clinging to the virtue of your own intellect (Ti).

    I think this is how I've been transforming over the past couple of years. Maybe because I'm already 29. I don't know. I can't say if this is a normal ENTP "development" route of some sort, but I personally enjoy it.

    Though the thing is, it's kinda hard to explain this to an INTP which has as much sense of self worth as you have.

    The gist here is, you find your niche to pursue your personal goals. You just can't do it alone.

    Anyone here shares similar sentiments?

  2. #2

    Default

    The way I see the world (ie. other people as a collective) is that it will go on without me. It will go on without any one person. So it is not the world's job to understand me.

    If I want my ideas to be understood (and accepted) I'm gonna need to present them in a way that caters to other people's sense of acceptance. If they feel loved and important by me, I'll stand a chance of being viewed as loved and important by them in turn (and what I say will have some actual meaning to it outside of myself).

    Essentially, play the game.

    Yeah, I'm definitely capable of being individualistic and I definitely am, but it's more internal. I don't feel like a "cop-out" for conforming to social norms because it doesn't change, fundamentally, my individuality. Why should it?

    Making compromises isn't all that bad a thing to do. They can really open up the doors to new things. Help people move on. Sometimes when you refuse to compromise you'll just get stuck beating a dead horse over and over and over again and seriously, where's the fun in (and point to) that?

  3. #3
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    But I'm kinda letting go of my INTP-ish angst, and over years, I'm kinda developing my Ne and Fe, and letting go of my grip on my Ti. You have to admit, INTPs do cling too much to their Ti.
    The unbalanced INTPs do.
    ______________


    Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    The way I see it...there's a certain degree of fluidity and flexibility that Ne and Fe provides that Ti can't give. It's like Ti has its own sense of rigid self-imposed logic.

    Any ENTPs here that can relate to this?

    It's like, you need to have a certain degree of social conformity (Fe) and creative flexibility (Ne) to pursue individualistic agendas. The individuality is still there in the agenda, but you need to make some compromises, instead of clinging to the virtue of your own intellect (Ti).
    Makes sense to me.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  4. #4
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    I just had one of my more profound conversations with a 20 year old INTP girl. We were talking about Fe (kinda), and she was asking me (sort of)...

    "Why do you look for your niche, and wouldn't you be happy just being individualistic?"

    Being the INTP that she is, she does see a bit of pretension on my part doing some degree of social conformity (Fe). She's that smart to see the "facade".

    Being a self proclaimed ENTP, currently 29 years old (who doesn't really have a very strong sense of extroversion), I thought that maybe most INTPs will just be reformed into this more ENTP-ish phase once they get older. Honestly, I really feel more INTP-ish years ago.
    I agree. I'm 42 now, and I was more textbook INTP when I was 20. Sometimes it's to the point where I don't know who I am anymore, because I've changed so much. It's not that I've lost my Ti perspective, it's just that I've learned to shift gears into so many other ways of seeing the world, Ti might be the most "natural" view for me (and it's where I go to search for clarity) but it's not my primary consideration all the time. I'm immersed in a lot of relational work in my life, and I live a lot in my N'ish "possibility" mindset.

    But I'm kinda letting go of my INTP-ish angst, and over years, I'm kinda developing my Ne and Fe, and letting go of my grip on my Ti. You have to admit, INTPs do cling too much to their Ti.
    That's basically where I am at now. My Ne/Fe extroverted senses (how I engage the world) are very strong at this point, and it's kind of unsettling even as instinctively I know it's for the best. I somehow have to meld it all in order to anchor myself.

    One problem is that I used to very very very solid and having a stable inner core; but with all the shift into Ne/Fe, I sometimes feel like my personality doesn't exist, I'm not sure who I am. When something external changes, I automatically change to accommodate it, and it bothers me / leaves me feeling unstable.

    I also find myself shifting around trying to find stimulation from the external environment all the time, whereas I used to be happy being alone and doing things on my own, and shutting the rest of the world (people and surroundings) out. That feeling of instability, I'm wondering if that is far more typical of Ne and Fe strong people -- where you're changing to accommodate external reality so much.

    Ti is rigid, like screws anchored in bedrock.

    As is said here:

    The way I see it...there's a certain degree of fluidity and flexibility that Ne and Fe provides that Ti can't give. It's like Ti has its own sense of rigid self-imposed logic.
    Yes.

    It's like, you need to have a certain degree of social conformity (Fe) and creative flexibility (Ne) to pursue individualistic agendas. The individuality is still there in the agenda, but you need to make some compromises, instead of clinging to the virtue of your own intellect (Ti).
    I agree. Ti is great on its own, but to be effective in the world, it needs some help.

    I think this is how I've been transforming over the past couple of years. Maybe because I'm already 29. I don't know. I can't say if this is a normal ENTP "development" route of some sort, but I personally enjoy it.

    Though the thing is, it's kinda hard to explain this to an INTP which has as much sense of self worth as you have.

    The gist here is, you find your niche to pursue your personal goals. You just can't do it alone.

    Anyone here shares similar sentiments?
    Yup. See above.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #5
    Junior Member Cat_Cloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I agree. If INTP's just stay in their own world and rely on their own intellect, they could end up not being where they want to be. Developing my Fe and Ne has made many things easier for me, but at the same time I feel like I'm loosing something...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    INTe
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    I just had one of my more profound conversations with a 20 year old INTP girl. We were talking about Fe (kinda), and she was asking me (sort of)...

    "Why do you look for your niche, and wouldn't you be happy just being individualistic?"

    But I'm kinda letting go of my INTP-ish angst, and over years, I'm kinda developing my Ne and Fe, and letting go of my grip on my Ti.
    Why is it the INTP who has angst when you're the one worried about fitting in?
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

  7. #7
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Yeah, it can be tough for the INTP to let go of Ti. As you get older, you definitely see the need for it though. You see other people being successful (in social circles, in jobs, etc.) by letting go and not just being a Ti-monster.

    I agree with what has been said by both the ENTP's and the INTP's so far in the thread. For INTP's, we see that it's important to "fit in" (at least to some degree) and we see the importance of Ne and Fe, but it also feels like you're "letting go" of something that is so essential to yourself and like you're getting into an area that you're not all that proficient in. I love using Ne; Fe is a little more "strange". It's like when you can speak a foreign language to someone for basic things like asking for directions, etc., but you can't really "have a full conversation" with them in that language, cuz you don't really know the language as good as they do - sort of thing.

    And I agree with the ENTP's that Ti can't do it all by itself. It needs help.

    What's hard for the INTP is that we are often so individualistic that sometimes when we rely a lot on Fe to "play the game" (as AllegoryStory said) - it feels like we're "selling out". Like, if I need something from you or I need your help to move forward with my plans, I only feel good about using Fe if I would already have talked to you about it anyways. But, if I wouldn't normally have talked to you, then it feels very, very fake for me to use Fe simply to further my own goals. Because the whole time I'm talking to you, I'm going to be thinking in my head, "The only reason I'm talking to this person is for my own selfish gain. Normally, if I had nothing to gain, I wouldn't even be talking to this person."

    Although I see the "effectiveness" of it, it sort of goes against my moral code. I'm not playing the morality card here, I'm just saying that it doesn't feel right to me when I'm doing it. It feels strange, it feels inauthentic. I don't want to "use" the person to catapult my own agenda or my own position. If they're already a friend or if we've already "used each other" for various things, then it's already been established that such things are acceptable between us.

    And I absolutely hate watching someone "butter up" another person using Fe for their own personal gain. It's like, "Hey, I didn't give a crap about you last week and I won't really give a crap about you the moment this conversation is over, but, yeah, do you think you could do a big favor for me today?" And, just because you're smiling at them and acting friendly towards them at that moment and you told a funny joke that made the person laugh before you asked the favor, doesn't change the fact that you're basically "using the person". The joking and the Fe is only a way of "making it look nice" - dressing it up. I see the personal value in it (my agenda will move forward), but I don't see the value in it for the other person - in fact, I usually see it as "unfair" to them especially when they have no idea they just got pwned by the ENTP and his Fe. It's valuable for "me" and "what I want", but it's just really hard for me to engage in that practice (and admittedly, I'm not that good at it).
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  8. #8
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    I agree with what has been said by both the ENTP's and the INTP's so far in the thread. For INTP's, we see that it's important to "fit in" (at least to some degree) and we see the importance of Ne and Fe, but it also feels like you're "letting go" of something that is so essential to yourself and like you're getting into an area that you're not all that proficient in. I love using Ne; Fe is a little more "strange". It's like when you can speak a foreign language to someone for basic things like asking for directions, etc., but you can't really "have a full conversation" with them in that language, cuz you don't really know the language as good as they do - sort of thing.

    And I agree with the ENTP's that Ti can't do it all by itself. It needs help.

    What's hard for the INTP is that we are often so individualistic that sometimes when we rely a lot on Fe to "play the game" (as AllegoryStory said) - it feels like we're "selling out". Like, if I need something from you or I need your help to move forward with my plans, I only feel good about using Fe if I would already have talked to you about it anyways. But, if I wouldn't normally have talked to you, then it feels very, very fake for me to use Fe simply to further my own goals. Because the whole time I'm talking to you, I'm going to be thinking in my head, "The only reason I'm talking to this person is for my own selfish gain. Normally, if I had nothing to gain, I wouldn't even be talking to this person."

    Although I see the "effectiveness" of it, it sort of goes against my moral code. I'm not playing the morality card here, I'm just saying that it doesn't feel right to me when I'm doing it. It feels strange, it feels inauthentic. I don't want to "use" the person to catapult my own agenda or my own position. If they're already a friend or if we've already "used each other" for various things, then it's already been established that such things are acceptable between us.
    Well I'm glad we're all on the same page here.

  9. #9
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Really good post.

    Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    I agree with what has been said by both the ENTP's and the INTP's so far in the thread. For INTP's, we see that it's important to "fit in" (at least to some degree) and we see the importance of Ne and Fe, but it also feels like you're "letting go" of something that is so essential to yourself and like you're getting into an area that you're not all that proficient in. I love using Ne; Fe is a little more "strange". It's like when you can speak a foreign language to someone for basic things like asking for directions, etc., but you can't really "have a full conversation" with them in that language, cuz you don't really know the language as good as they do - sort of thing.
    Yeah, I actually use Ne more than Ti in social groups, and I'm a big "possibility" thinker and integrator. It's simply that in the end I still need a coherent framework to define the possibilities, but while I'm in a situation, I'm very good at seeing possibilities springing off in every direction, and people generally like brainstormers, it's a "positive/creative" mode of interaction that only seems disliked when there is a strong focus in a particular setting and Ne continues to derail progress.

    I honestly would not have learned to see life through much of an Fe perspective except that I was raised in that environment (both family and religion), and had spouse and in-laws of strong Fe persuasion. At some point it all flipped over for me and suddenly I could "see."

    What I really hate about Fe perspective is when I get stuck arguing with other NTs about it, and then sometimes get accused of being an Fe-monger because I'm not giving them the T perspective (which I don't need to -- everyone is already grasping THAT aspect of things). No, I'm just expressing another way to look at the same situation that might actually help balance out and resolve the situation for everyone, not just the T's, or enabling the T's to expand their thinking. It's just funny how much bad blood has sometimes built up between NTPs and the Fe persuasion.

    What's hard for the INTP is that we are often so individualistic that sometimes when we rely a lot on Fe to "play the game" (as AllegoryStory said) - it feels like we're "selling out". Like, if I need something from you or I need your help to move forward with my plans, I only feel good about using Fe if I would already have talked to you about it anyways. But, if I wouldn't normally have talked to you, then it feels very, very fake for me to use Fe simply to further my own goals. Because the whole time I'm talking to you, I'm going to be thinking in my head, "The only reason I'm talking to this person is for my own selfish gain. Normally, if I had nothing to gain, I wouldn't even be talking to this person."
    Yeah, "networking" is one of those arenas.

    The only way I got past it is to stop labeling it as "selfish" or "manipulative" and reducing it to "Realistically, this is just how life works; and as long as I'm honest about my intent and also putting back into the system what I'm taking out, then I'm still maintaining my integrity."

    Although I see the "effectiveness" of it, it sort of goes against my moral code. I'm not playing the morality card here, I'm just saying that it doesn't feel right to me when I'm doing it. It feels strange, it feels inauthentic. I don't want to "use" the person to catapult my own agenda or my own position. If they're already a friend or if we've already "used each other" for various things, then it's already been established that such things are acceptable between us.
    Yes, I totally get it.

    I have trouble "calling people cold." I will contact people I'm already friends with or acquainted with, and who I know will help me, and I know I would help if THEY came to ME. So now it's merely a matter of exchange, not manipulation or use.

    I think I've only been offended where someone contacts me only for what they want and then never contacts me again, and meanwhile acts like we're close when we are not. For example, I had a guy friend in college who lived a few states away; our relationship at school was marginal; he did not talk to me for a few years, then completely contacts me out of the blue because he wants to "visit and catch up"... but then mentions he also has a business now and wanted to pitch me on something. I felt from the start he was just seeing me to sell me, not seeing me AND selling me, but I agreed.

    It turned out to be Amway.

    He really only stopped by for a few hours, the "catching up" was all really just basic preliminary, and then he's spending much of his time making his sales pitch, and then he leaves, and I haven't seen him since. It has been, what, 15 years now?

    To me, that was skeevy. I can tell the difference between a friend who hits me up with a proposition vs someone who is just using my acquaintance to make a profit.

    And I absolutely hate watching someone "butter up" another person using Fe for their own personal gain. It's like, "Hey, I didn't give a crap about you last week and I won't really give a crap about you the moment this conversation is over, but, yeah, do you think you could do a big favor for me today?" And, just because you're smiling at them and acting friendly towards them at that moment and you told a funny joke that made the person laugh before you asked the favor, doesn't change the fact that you're basically "using the person".
    Exactly.

    I see the personal value in it (my agenda will move forward), but I don't see the value in it for the other person - in fact, I usually see it as "unfair" to them especially when they have no idea they just got pwned by the ENTP and his Fe. It's valuable for "me" and "what I want", but it's just really hard for me to engage in that practice (and admittedly, I'm not that good at it).
    Like I said, I cannot do that unless I have an internal realization that if they came to me with a similar proposition, I would give them my time and return the favor; or at least I would try to make sure that what I was asking of them would benefit them in some substantial way so it was a win-win.

    But in general, I am hesitant to involve others in stuff like that. I don't like to sell things.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #10
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What I really hate about Fe perspective is when I get stuck arguing with other NTs about it, and then sometimes get accused of being an Fe-monger because I'm not giving them the T perspective (which I don't need to -- everyone is already grasping THAT aspect of things). No, I'm just expressing another way to look at the same situation that might actually help balance out and resolve the situation for everyone, not just the T's, or enabling the T's to expand their thinking. It's just funny how much bad blood has sometimes built up between NTPs and the Fe persuasion.
    Agreed with your post, but just wanted to touch on this part (above): I think NTP's that are what I would call "hard T's" (very far away from "F" on the T/F continuum) often see other NTP's (who are closer to F) as NFP's and they think we've mistyped ourselves. Like, if I bust out my Fe and start speaking that language to offer a different perspective or even to express myself in that way (why? Cuz I feel like it. I feel like getting out of super-INTP mode once in a while), then somehow I'm automatically going to be seen as an INFP. And I'm not. I'm just an INTP with a softer, mushier, more artistic flare (5w4) rather than the INTP who studies Physics over dinner, eats Chemistry for breakfast, and can't fathom the existence of a higher power or anything that hasn't been proven by a formula or a theorum.

    How's that for sarcasm?
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Similar Threads

  1. [Fe] INTx and Fe
    By gandalf in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
  2. [ISFJ] ISFJ -> caught between I and Fe
    By Maldini in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 05:20 AM
  3. [JCF] Me and Fe.
    By Saslou in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 07:31 AM
  4. [NT] NTPs and Routine
    By Cimarron in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 05:42 PM
  5. Ni and Fe
    By Addict_Inquiry in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO