• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs, would you marry a Theist?

NTs, would you marry an theist?

• Total voters

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well then accept that I only believe in myself and my abilities and that I will not knock down people who believe differently, cause I dont need everybody to think like I do

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I do, when have I ever knocked you down? You have me confused with someone else.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ehm, as far as I understand, this thread is not about whether religious people are superior or inferior or who is right or wrong or who tries to convert whom but about whether (supposedly more atheist leaning) NTs consider religion a problem in their potential marriage. It is a spoof of the thread asking (supposedly more spiritual leaning) NFs if atheism was a knockout criterium for them. So far most people habe only listed personal preferences for long term relationships and marriage, not bashed believers.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
haha you said habe instead of have :D

sry not helping

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought by now I was famous for my typos. How does it change the meaning? I don't see the joke.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have another question, since the poll is public:

@Nerd Girl, you say you would not marry a theist, but if memory serves me right, you're a vocal Christian, aren't you?
Did I miss a post on this, or what exactly is the logic here?
(No judgment, just curious.)

Could be wrong, but I think she was making a joke. She didn't say she wouldn't marry a theist, she said she'd only marry a theist who rode a motorcycle. Being a theist isn't off-limits, it just isn't enough.

If you're reading this Nerdgirl and I'm wrong, correct me.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I've known some very open minded religious people. In fact I would argue the majority of "closed minded" religious people have "good" intentions.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Couldn't we just simplify that and say people usually have good intentions? How often do you honestly walk around during the day or lie awake at night thinking about all the bad things you want to do to people? Actually, don't answer that second question, I'd rather not know.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I've known some very open minded religious people. In fact I would argue the majority of "closed minded" religious people have "good" intentions.

The issue is when they apply a moral code that is simply abhorent and doesn't even make sense to itself to 'help' other people who didn't ask for help.
Or say that they'll 'pray for you'. Which is to me so arrogant that it leaves me speechless.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
for those who think all religious people are up in your grill or that you haven't met anyone who's religious you probably have. I've known people who believe in God but they don't mention it unless someone asks directly about their beliefs. Do you really think, all christians are fundamentalist? You're suppose to be NTs, at least account for people who are christian but don't give a fuck about converting you. Oh and the same can be said for atheists, religion or lack of religion to me is a personal thing. No one except you should be deciding what to believe, and if anyone looks down on you for that kick them hard and tell them to STFU

There's a difference between not being willing to have anything to do with people who are religious and not wanting to marry someone who is. Other people's religion is their business, so long as they don't preach to me I respect their right to their faith, freedom of religion, freedom from religion and all that junk. But when it comes to a relationship as serious as marriage for me personally that would be a difference in views that is one thing I do not think I could get over, I have no issue with someone who is agnostic, even a theist leaning one, but someone who was a practicing [enter religion here] would conflict with my strong anti-religious stance. I wouldn't view them as lesser, that would be stupidly arrogant, just incompatible.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Are we talking heavily religious or just one of the majority that claim a religion without following it all that much?

I could see problems due to strong religious beliefs but that wouldn't include most people that identify as religious in this country.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are we talking heavily religious or just one of the majority that claim a religion without following it all that much?

Theist, not religious. Depending on how you define it, that's between 52% to 89% of European Union citizens; and something close to that second percentage number for Americans and Canadians.

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
there are some advantages that haven't been canvassed in this thread. if they believe in god they're likely easy to manipulate. :laugh:

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
To a large degree that fits my experience

Yeah, same here (agnostic)...

Still, I would actually prefer to marry a (theologically liberal) theist, mostly because I think its good for kids to believe in free will, eternity, and all that jazz, and I would be unable to provide that perspective for them. Why depress them during their impressionable years?