User Tag List

View Poll Results: NTs, would you marry an theist?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I'm an INTP

6 10.34%
  • No, I'm an ENTP

4 6.90%
  • No, I'm an INTJ

9 15.52%
  • No, I'm an ENTJ

2 3.45%
  • Yes, I'm an INTP

18 31.03%
  • Yes, I'm an ENTP

7 12.07%
  • Yes, I'm an INTJ

8 13.79%
  • Yes, I'm an ENTJ

4 6.90%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Well, I never fell in love with a religious person. Intelligence is negatively correlated to religious tendencies and I noticed that most of the people I love in my life also happen to be highly intelligent. But that's just me.
    Do you have any actual evidence of that, or are you just spouting nonsense and expecting people to agree with you because you said it?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Do you have any actual evidence of that, or are you just spouting nonsense and expecting people to agree with you because you said it?
    The only evidence one would produce is based on IQ tests, and we all know that these do a very poor job of measuring intelligence. So, while there might be evidence for this, it isn't anything I would take seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...d_intelligence

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    The only evidence one would produce is based on IQ tests, and we all know that these do a very poor job of measuring intelligence. So, while there might be evidence for this, it isn't anything I would take seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...d_intelligence
    Huh, I'd never heard that before. That is interesting. I wonder if it ties in with Kiersey temperaments?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Well, I never fell in love with a religious person. Intelligence is negatively correlated to religious tendencies and I noticed that most of the people I love in my life also happen to be highly intelligent. But that's just me.

And the thread wasn't about love, it was about marriage. Most people marry after they got through the whole infatuation phase of love, so rational decisions about personal compability and the fact that if a potential for clash exists it'd have had time to blossom 'd take a major place in deciding to marry. (assuming that most people don't marry right away)
    I guess it depends on what a "religious person" is.
    Where I live, there are quite a lot of people who believe in God, but they don't go to church, or do God related activities. Nor do they talk about God.
    I personally don't mind that.

However, in other places the situation may be different.

I've noticed that the younger generations tend to dump their belief in God, they're arguing online and stuff.

Which is very interesting.

Since obsolete well rooted theories need many generations to pass, for new beliefs to appear.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ultimawepun View Post
    Huh? What makes you think that it's equally likely for me to fall in love with everyone?
    I did not say that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    xNTj

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    1. We don't choose who we fall in love with.
    2. There are more women who believe in God (at least where I live) than women who don't believe (which are practically inexistent here).

So, theoretically, the odds of falling in love with a woman who believes in God are higher than the odds of falling in love with a woman who doesn't believe in God, since there are MORE OF THEM.

So, you are saying that, even if you would love her, you wouldn't marry her? That's nonsense.
    You did not indeed, but this post can only be true if the chances of falling in love were equal with everyone.

Moreover, I'm very iffy about your first statement. The problem I think I have is because of this:
    So, theoretically, the odds of falling in love with a woman who believes in God are higher than the odds of falling in love with a woman who doesn't believe in God, since there are MORE OF THEM.
    The chances of falling in love to a theist will indeed grow higher, but not absolutely higher compared to the chances of falling to an atheist.

MBTI
    ENTP

So you are saying that you have a higher chance of falling in love with a person you can relate to on an intellectual level?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    xNTj

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    So you are saying that you have a higher chance of falling in love with a person you can relate to on an intellectual level?
    Yes. But obviously, there are many other factors as well.

On topic: I was leaning to vote 'Yes' to this poll, but then I read the the green part, so I voted 'No'.

I was once courted by a Catholic. Long story short: He found out I was an atheist and tried to convince me otherwise. He wasn't that of a hardcore level, and I admired his persistence. But I thought that if his assertiveness continues, then the relationship wouldn't work. We're still friends fortunately, and we make contact once in a while.
    Last edited by ultimawepun; 03-08-2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: clarity

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Yes, since I'm a theist myself. I'd prefer a fellow theist, but not someone who was highly evangelical or rigid.
    This.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ultimawepun View Post
    Yes. But obviously, there are many other factors as well. I was leaning to vote 'Yes' to this poll, but then I read the the green part, so I voted 'No'.

I was once courted by a Catholic. Long story short: He found out I was an atheist and tried to convince me otherwise. He wasn't that of a hardcore level, and I admired his persistence. But I thought that if his assertiveness continues, then the relationship wouldn't work. We're still friends fortunately, and we make contact once in a while.
    So, we have different definitions of religious people