• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs, would you marry a Theist?

NTs, would you marry an theist?

• Total voters

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I never fell in love with a religious person. Intelligence is negatively correlated to religious tendencies and I noticed that most of the people I love in my life also happen to be highly intelligent. But that's just me.

Do you have any actual evidence of that, or are you just spouting nonsense and expecting people to agree with you because you said it?

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I never fell in love with a religious person. Intelligence is negatively correlated to religious tendencies and I noticed that most of the people I love in my life also happen to be highly intelligent. But that's just me.

And the thread wasn't about love, it was about marriage. Most people marry after they got through the whole infatuation phase of love, so rational decisions about personal compability and the fact that if a potential for clash exists it'd have had time to blossom 'd take a major place in deciding to marry. (assuming that most people don't marry right away)

I guess it depends on what a "religious person" is.
Where I live, there are quite a lot of people who believe in God, but they don't go to church, or do God related activities. Nor do they talk about God.
I personally don't mind that.

However, in other places the situation may be different.

I've noticed that the younger generations tend to dump their belief in God, they're arguing online and stuff.

Which is very interesting.

Since obsolete well rooted theories need many generations to pass, for new beliefs to appear.

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
1. We don't choose who we fall in love with.
2. There are more women who believe in God (at least where I live) than women who don't believe (which are practically inexistent here).

So, theoretically, the odds of falling in love with a woman who believes in God are higher than the odds of falling in love with a woman who doesn't believe in God, since there are MORE OF THEM.

So, you are saying that, even if you would love her, you wouldn't marry her? That's nonsense.

You did not indeed, but this post can only be true if the chances of falling in love were equal with everyone.

Moreover, I'm very iffy about your first statement. The problem I think I have is because of this:
So, theoretically, the odds of falling in love with a woman who believes in God are higher than the odds of falling in love with a woman who doesn't believe in God, since there are MORE OF THEM.

The chances of falling in love to a theist will indeed grow higher, but not absolutely higher compared to the chances of falling to an atheist.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
So you are saying that you have a higher chance of falling in love with a person you can relate to on an intellectual level?

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
So you are saying that you have a higher chance of falling in love with a person you can relate to on an intellectual level?

Yes. But obviously, there are many other factors as well.

On topic: I was leaning to vote 'Yes' to this poll, but then I read the the green part, so I voted 'No'.

I was once courted by a Catholic. Long story short: He found out I was an atheist and tried to convince me otherwise. He wasn't that of a hardcore level, and I admired his persistence. But I thought that if his assertiveness continues, then the relationship wouldn't work. We're still friends fortunately, and we make contact once in a while.

Last edited:

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes. But obviously, there are many other factors as well. I was leaning to vote 'Yes' to this poll, but then I read the the green part, so I voted 'No'.

I was once courted by a Catholic. Long story short: He found out I was an atheist and tried to convince me otherwise. He wasn't that of a hardcore level, and I admired his persistence. But I thought that if his assertiveness continues, then the relationship wouldn't work. We're still friends fortunately, and we make contact once in a while.

So, we have different definitions of religious people

A

A window to the soul

Sure, if he's tall, smart, plays guitar, and drives a Mustang.

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
So, we have different definitions of religious people
Sorry. I do not know what you are getting at. What is your definition of religious people?

EDIT: Okay, I think I understand now. This confusion may be my fault.
The post I made about my past was an example to support the reason I voted 'No' on this thread, and not an example for my argument against your post. I'm sorry, I should have not rushed my post there.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I did marry a theist and he subsequently became agnostic, then atheist like myself.

and now hes going to hell because of you :devil:

What about the ones that believe in leprecauns and brownies that steal your keys? :ninja:

as long as you dont believe that they also created the world etc

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It'd be against my religious beliefs to marry someone who was a theist. Sorry.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yes, I might have left 'intelligence' undefined to see who'd pick up on that. Though I disagree about the idea that iq is very poorly related to intelligence (problem solving capacities as pertaining to the specific needs of human culture). You don't really hear about geniuses with iq scores indicating that they're functionally retarded. It's been a standard for over a century. Dismissing it for the sake of dismissing it isn't really constructive.

Well..since my whole relationship with the god concept is extremely complicated..I would never assume that someone else's is more more flawed (or less flawed for that matter). I would marry a theist..because despite being an agnostic atheist (as defined by the words that we humans have made to attempt to describe such indescribable things) I don't think my views are too far off from the christian/muslim/buddhist concept of god. I think that given the right theist it would work.

I never really liked the term 'agnostic atheist', it feels to me like a poorly built term nearing on Oxymoron-ness. I usually use scientific/empirical agnosticism to indicate that I do relate to a degree to experimentally testable hypotheses while of course agreeing that our knowledge isn't perfect.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Do you have any actual evidence of that, or are you just spouting nonsense and expecting people to agree with you because you said it?

Huh, I'd never heard that before. That is interesting. I wonder if it ties in with Kiersey temperaments?
I'll now consider you as civilized and having apologized. Because i'm nice that way.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
My girlfriend married a crackpot, how dumb is that !

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
as long as you dont believe that they also created the world etc

Don't be silly..everyone *knows* the world was created out of the body of a Frost Giant who came to be through the union of ice and fire!
Leprecauns and brownies had nothing to do with that! :rules:

Proof of Giant Theory

Lark

I'd have to marry a theist, or if it were someone who identified themselves as athiest or agnostic they'd need to be of the unprolestyising and unpreachy variety. People think that religious people are the only ones who can be evangelical in their out look and that is not my experience at all.