User Tag List

View Poll Results: NTs, would you marry an theist?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I'm an INTP

6 10.34%
  • No, I'm an ENTP

4 6.90%
  • No, I'm an INTJ

9 15.52%
  • No, I'm an ENTJ

2 3.45%
  • Yes, I'm an INTP

18 31.03%
  • Yes, I'm an ENTP

7 12.07%
  • Yes, I'm an INTJ

8 13.79%
  • Yes, I'm an ENTJ

4 6.90%
First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

I would, on certain conditions:

• They must be open minded and tolerate that I have a different opinion, and not attempt to force theirs on me.
    • Any children we have shall be raised secularly. I won't insist that they become atheists, but there will be no preaching. Children will learn about religion without being taught religion.
    • That said, should the children want to become theists, that's fine.
    • Their religious principles must not violate my fundamental moral principles. Such as, there will be no genital mutilation of my children. Daughters shall not wear burqa. They will not attend religiously sponsored schools. They cannot sponsor extremism and must thoroughly denounce violence towards adherents of other religions and of the irreligious.
    • I will eat pork, beef, keep a dog and will not adhere to their taboos and on most occasions, shall not go to churches, synagogues or mosques.
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Yeah, same here (agnostic)...

Still, I would actually prefer to marry a (theologically liberal) theist, mostly because I think its good for kids to believe in free will, eternity, and all that jazz, and I would be unable to provide that perspective for them. Why depress them during their impressionable years?
    I never really understood what was so depressing about non theistic views. It's just realistic, but the universe is more of a cool place without some non sensical father figure in it to me.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I never really understood what was so depressing about non theistic views. It's just realistic, but the universe is more of a cool place without some non sensical father figure in it to me.
    I agree; it doesn't have to be depressing. Based on other internet discussions with atheists and agnostics, it seems people who were raised to believe in a God and then lose this belief have a much harder time than people who were never taught to believe it in the first place. A number of atheists who were raised in non-religious homes say they're puzzled at how attached people are to their beliefs.

In answer to the original question, it's hard to say. A lot of people in the "would you marry an atheist" thread said it depends, and theists vary even more than atheists do. I could see myself with someone who had some vague 'there's something out there' beliefs, or who has grown up in an organized religion and maintains some loose ties with it. If religion is a large part of their lives and identity and informs a lot of their views, that would likely be a problem. I'll say yes, because it's possible, and I prefer to get to know a person first.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I never really understood what was so depressing about non theistic views.
    Hey, kid, Grandma's dead and you will never see her again! Also, you'll never be able to know what happens 150 years from now, nor have time to really enjoy exploring everything that interests you! Isn't it so exciting knowing you are an organic automaton without free will? Isn't all of this so totally non-depressing and cool!?

uh, no.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

Hey, kid, Grandma's dead and you will never see her again! Also, you'll never be able to know what happens 150 years from now, nor have time to really enjoy exploring everything that interests you! Isn't it so exciting knowing you are an organic automaton without free will? Isn't all of this so totally non-depressing and cool!?

uh, no.
    Really. I find it comforting actually that some relationships end- forever. Perhaps I was callous as a child, but I was the only one not crying at my grandmother's (who practically raised me) funeral. I was seven and mother asked me: "why weren't you crying"? According to her, I said matter-of-factly "it's a part of life, so crying isn't going to bring her back". I don't see non-theistic viewpoints as depressing at all. I accept it and live all the more happily for it because this is my one shot at life.
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I don't see non-theistic viewpoints as depressing at all. I accept it and live all the more happily for it because this is my one shot at life.
    Yea, I've heard all of this before, and I don't get it at all. I can understand becoming inured to lack of hope and limited options, but viewing such as an existential bonus seems patently absurd to me, like someone preferring to work 16 hours a day for starvation wages instead of 8 hours a day with good pay, all because the contrast makes a can of beer or an overheard song seem that much better in comparison.

MBTI
    INTP

uh, no.
    None of this is depressing. This is reality. Living under a false reality is, on the other hand, not only incredibly depressing, but immoral to impose onto others.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    None of this is depressing. This is reality.

Living under a false reality is, on the other hand, not only incredibly depressing, but immoral to impose onto others.
    Do we really need to go into the is/ought fallacy? Reality, at least as far as science indicates, is depressing.

As we have established (if nothing else), what is utilitarian and what is not is an inherently subjective matter. In a nihilistic universe, 'truth' or 'reality' has no worth beyond its utilitarian value; we disagree on what provides optimal utilitarian benefit for most people. I think its cruel, if not immoral, to provide an upbringing for children that will have highly sup-optimal utilitarian results for the typical person.

MBTI
    INTP

Do we really need to go into the is/ought fallacy? Reality, at least as far as science indicates, is depressing.

Is it?

MBTI
    INTP

According to my subjective opinion, yes. According to your subjective opinion, it is not.