• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT problem causing or problem solving?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Living in suburbia, I've had very few environmentally induced troubles. Almost every issue I've ever been involved in was my design.

I suspect many others are the same way. Especially NTPs.

I think I know why.

It's not that we enjoy the problem itself, but rather that we most enjoy ourselves when coming up with a solution for a problem. If there is no problem, we can't enjoy ourselves so we make one so we can.

I think this is less applicable for the NTJs as they're more likely to set their sights on a larger goal, which ordinarily requires fewer petty issues so the end can be focused on.

What do y'all think. I'm not sure if this is an established understanding, but I realized recently, that I create problems for myself on purpose, social or not. I'm not a masochist, I just like puzzles.

The more at risk the better, because it means I've got to come up with just the right answer or it all might go to hell. That might go to partially explain why ENTPs are often risk-takers too. To a situationally defined cap of course... I'm not self destructive either.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends what you mean by 'problem'.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Not really. Most anything that needs fixing -- from unsolving a rubiks cube to intentionally getting lost on the highway.

But this was inspired by those who cause social problems. I don't think many of us profit from the conflict itself.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My NT seems to be content with theoretical problem solving. It plays out in his constant absorption and analysis of current and historical events, especially in the area of domestic economics and politics. :coffee:

Of course he does have a wife and four kids to live with and support so probably dealing with theoretical problems is a big relief. There's certainly no need to make problems for entertainment purposes. :run:

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Oh, I definitely relate.

It's gotten me in a lot of trouble in the past. But I'm not malicious or anything, just curious about people. I generally don't entirely take others at their face value -- or, at least, I don't often believe what I'm being told is the whole truth -- so I like to carefully create artificial situations and study how they react in them. I think intentions are often louder than words.

... I dunno what else to add. I feel like I could've written the original post myself. This has been a very big theme with me, and one that the people around me have appreciated or opposed in varying degrees.

But I'd agree that this is an NTP thing, probably slightly more ENTP due to relative facility with Fe and all that.

Garivande

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm INTP and I certainly wouldn't create any problems just for the sake of solving them later.

But perhaps it's the "I" and/or "P" that ensures that?
Like the cafe husband, I'm quite content with solving theoretical problems. Which I might invent myself... ah... which suddenly answers the question with a "yes"...
I'm not only an introverted thinker, I will also contradict myself every time I come up with a new angle...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Living in suburbia, I've had very few environmentally induced troubles. Almost every issue I've ever been involved in was my design.

I suspect many others are the same way. Especially NTPs.

I think I know why.

It's not that we enjoy the problem itself, but rather that we most enjoy ourselves when coming up with a solution for a problem. If there is no problem, we can't enjoy ourselves so we make one so we can.

I think this is less applicable for the NTJs as they're more likely to set their sights on a larger goal, which ordinarily requires fewer petty issues so the end can be focused on.

What do y'all think. I'm not sure if this is an established understanding, but I realized recently, that I create problems for myself on purpose, social or not. I'm not a masochist, I just like puzzles.

The more at risk the better, because it means I've got to come up with just the right answer or it all might go to hell. That might go to partially explain why ENTPs are often risk-takers too. To a situationally defined cap of course... I'm not self destructive either.
I'm not certain, but I think this might also have something to do with having testicles.

Reading your post reminded me very much of my ex, thanks. :smooch:

I guess boredom and predictability can lead one to :17425:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I've notice this with my INTP supervisor... He enjoys coming up with theories and experiment ideas for testing... except none of the gets carried out very far because 2 weeks later he comes up with something else.

INTP supervisor: theory theory theory... hmmm based on that perhaps we should try this.
collaborating INTJ prof: from a pragmatic point of view... we should continue using the other process.
supervisor: No, we're addressing a different question.
collaborator: *thinks the old ideas shouldn't be shelved so quickly but didn't say anything*
supervisor: *continues with coming up with new study*
Mouse: There's problems with the study design relating to time.
supervisor: Oh right... Well we can change it this way...
INTP biochemist: Do we have the kinetics data for the compounds? I don't think it follows pharmacokinetics of regular drugs...
supervisor: That's interesting. No we do not have kinetics data, and it will be close to impossible to obtain with what we have... But we do know that...

1hr later... we pretty much ended up using the same design as what I originally came up with. :doh:

That's a bunch of NTs for you...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It always has to be their idea or they at least have to feel like it is.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i generally refuse to believe that there is any situation im incapable of traversing, and i find the mere suggestion to be borderline repulsive, enough so that i will purposefully fuck myself over just to completely eradicate it.

i consider myself a highly capable person and whenever i hear "you cant..." the unstoppable tumult of thoughts that follows is "i cant? fuck that... i can, i will, get out of my way and watch me!"

the ability to do what i want is very much a part of my personal sense of freedom. the problem with this is that i can't actually do everything (duh) and i will often attempt what i cant do well, do it poorly, and become somewhat of a detriment to myself.

overall, i dont think a revision in my approach is in order since i can come through 99 times out of 100. i like and am very good at problem solving, so it's almost like a hobby of mine. :)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not certain, but I think this might also have something to do with having testicles.
I doubt it. I know chick'ns (see what I did there?) that do the same.

Reading your post reminded me very much of my ex, thanks. :smooch:

I guess boredom and predictability can lead one to :17425:

Uhm... like I said, being NT doesn't mean we're masochists, just some of us like to fix things. If nothing's broken, that's a problem. The solution is to break something. Then we have to fix that. That's two in a row. Talk about NT efficiency.

Or wait... that seems kind of backwards...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, you're right.

These chicks totally hate living in the burbs. (Actually, the passenger seems to feel/express a premature boredom of ho-humderum)

Suburban_neighborhood.jpg

S

sammy

I know an NT male who likes to create relationship problems to solve, especially when on the brink of losing their mate or friends :blink:

He's not very emotionally mature though, to be honest (this is not just my opinion but of many other people who are close to him). When he's creating problems to solve in a more theoretical manner and less to play games with a person's mind or emotions, I find his abilities to solve things a great asset. He finds a lot of amusement in tricking people into acting or saying something in a given situation (which he will create artificially using the person's real fears, for example).

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I know an NT male who likes to create relationship problems to solve, especially when on the brink of losing their mate or friends :blink:

He's not very emotionally mature though, to be honest (this is not just my opinion but of many other people who are close to him).
These two things usually go hand in hand.