User Tag List

12 Last

Dali

Default So, this xNTJ has asked me to review a short story he wrote...

which I think he's going to send off to a writing competition.

Honestly speaking, I think his writing is sh*t, bless him. He has some great ideas in there but the execution leaves much to be desired. If I were him, I'd redraft 3/4 of it while preserving the core of it, so to speak. I've known him for an year but I only just found out he writes when he asked me to review his story.

Here's my dilemma. He's pretty young (18) and writing is clearly a passion of his. Therefore, I'd like be gentle with him and let him know that he does have potential (he does) but I don't want to be overly saccharine with him and insult his (remarkable) intelligence. How can I tell him the above? How should I? How would you, as an NTJ, like to hear criticism, when it touches on something that you value deeply, phrased? (I don't want to lie to him...)

MBTI
    INTP

Point out every error individually and show him some way to improve it. Be specific.

figsfiggyfigs

This is why you ALWAYS SAY 'NO!'

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Point out every error individually and show him some way to improve it. Be specific.

Oh, hell no. This is why I don't allow INTPs to edit my papers anymore. Not only do you guys edit the "errors" you change the content, and nit pick, on subjective "improvements."

The best thing to do is to give your interpretation of the writing, how it made you feel, what the message was that came across. If it is wrong or different than what he was attempting, he will revise the paper himself.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Oh, hell no. This is why I don't allow INTPs to edit my papers anymore. Not only do you guys edit the "errors" you change the content, and nit pick, on subjective "improvements."

The best thing to do is to give your interpretation of the writing, how it made you feel, what the message was that came across. If it is wrong or different than what he was attempting, he will revise the paper himself.
    He could be lost in the woods for a long time. Better to identify the inadequate, misunderstood parts and fix them. Apply working literary techniques or tweak the story until it doesn't come off so haphazard. This is a serious skill to learn, so we want to aim for precision and consistently produce quality writing.

ThatGirl

I am getting frustrated just thinking about it.

MBTI
    FREE

Why don't you ask him specifically what his intended goals are for the story. Some stories are intended to entertain, others to enlighten, others to facilitate emotion, etc. Try to pinpoint what he is attempting to do, and tailor the criticisms toward achieving those goals. In this way, you can make himself his own critic by providing evidence that, at the very least, the story is not achieving its intended purpose with you as the reader.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Why don't to ask him specifically what his intended goals are for the story. Some stories are intended to entertain, others to enlighten, others to facilitate emotion, etc. Try to pinpoint what he is attempting to do, and tailor the criticisms toward achieving those goals. In this way, you can make himself his own critic by providing evidence that, at the very least, the story is not achieving its intended purpose with you as the reader.
    This is perfect.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post

I am getting frustrated just thinking about it.
    Work can be extremely frustrating, but adding perspectives and analyzing the procedure as it happens only makes the process of producing pristine stories easier in the long run. We could sit around for years while the stress piles up, or we could look at the idea and make it happen. A mind wanders, and writers may want to avoid this. We keep them on a stable path, and it's not that we lack trust or faith in them, but that we really can help.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Work can be extremely frustrating, but adding perspectives and analyzing the procedure as it happens only makes the process of producing pristine stories easier in the long run. We could sit around for years while the stress piles up, or we could look at the idea and make it happen. A mind wanders, and writers may want to avoid this. We keep them on a stable path, and it's not that we lack trust or faith in them, but that we really can help.
    That may be true, but if the xNTJ is satisfied with the content of the paper itself they are more than capable of editing it down to say exactly what they want it to. The creative nature is probably coming from the Ni, and when an INTP gets in there and starts Ti-ing it out, it can be very frustrating. Probably not what the xNTJ was asking for, specially if they are asking for an opinion. The op stated this was a review not a revision.

Save that kind of feedback for after they have finished their final draft, then get in there and subtly tweak it to perfection.