• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Wiki project - entp description

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I know but till now we're 5 or 6...it's not enough data...
Although generalizing our behavior without no data is incorrect...since a type must designate about 4-5% of people...not 1. No matter how much a person will draw conclusion from one's behavior, the chances of having incorrect conclusions is pretty high....

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Although generalizing our behavior without no data is incorrect...since a type must designate about 4-5% of people...not 1. No matter how much a person will draw conclusion from one's behavior, the chances of having incorrect conclusions is pretty high....

That's true. And pretty much where MBTI fails when it moves past just being theory.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, but there have been numerous purely speculative theories in the past that proved to be partially correct.

Even though we can't quantify our personality due to the lack of understanding of our brains...having a speculative theory is better than nothing.

I generally believe in the functions, not necessarily in how they're combined to form the MBTI types.

I don't know. It seems too simple. I wish there was more to it :laugh:

But making it too complex is useless, simplicity is the best for I guess.

Who knows...

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Yes, but there have been numerous purely speculative theories in the past that proved to be partially correct.

Even though we can't quantify our personality due to the lack of understanding of our brains...having a speculative theory is better than nothing.

I generally believe in the functions, not necessarily in how they're combined to form the MBTI types.

I don't know. It seems too simple. I wish there was more to it :laugh:

But making it too complex is useless, simplicity is the best for I guess.

Who knows...

Yeah, the best theories are usually the most elegant (at least, that's what the scientific community strives for anyway).

But there can be real danger in getting too comfy with a partially correct theory. Especially when it clouds one's view of incoming, better theories.

However, since personality is such a difficult thing to quantify, perhaps something partially correct is better than nothing. :p

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah...a partially correct 100 year old theory with no experimental data sucks indeed.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Think of all the crap Freud said...I actually read it a long time ago.. I didn't understand shit :laugh:

A

A window to the soul

You're right and I think that will come with time I hope; as the wiki pages evolve and people contribute. My understanding of wiki, is that the pages are forever evolving, which is kinda cool. We can also look at this from a different perspective and say that realistically a handful of people could team-up and write all of the initial pages by compiling pertinent data from this forum (not limited to this thread), and using credible sources to support their findings (for common behavior to the specific type and if there's anything notably unique compared to the other types).

Rather than initially focusing on the quantity, I'm thinking the folks leading this effort, might initially consider establishing best practice standards, and a baseline of information from this site, for *us* the contributors to use as a guideline. It would be cool to see some consistency of thought between the pages (for usability sake). So, have some common topic headers on each type page and a linked index to those topics at the top of each page where the user can click to jump down to the topic. I browsed over to the wiki site for typoc and there are links already setup to each type, but no base structure or standards, that I could see.

These are all important things to consider (including your suggestion), if we're compiling data and we want it to be meaningful and user-friendly from a contributor standpoint and a user standpoint. But yeah, I understand the power in numbers. It can probably go the other way too, where there are too many people.

I haven't followed this discussion in the other threads, but I think I'm preaching to the choir here with this approach. Then again, perhaps I'm way off course and don't fully understand the "Wiki project" goals.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wanna do the brain part. :laugh:

But I don't have access to psychology articles ....

I have a question:

I have an ENTP teacher in college and he talks about a ton of stuff, anything except economy :laugh:

He told us that he was a "late speaker" he found it funny that it took him a long time to start talking, but when he started, he didn't stop, and now he's talking all the time :laugh:

Were any of u guys late speakers...? Or whatever it's called.

I started talking when I was 9 months old...mom told me that I was jumping around saying words :laugh:
But that's kind of wrong...since I couldn't walk at that time...so how could I jump?!
How does a small baby jump...that's ridiculous..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

A

A window to the soul

And pretty much where MBTI fails when it moves past just being theory.

Hmmm, I don't understand what you mean. Specifically, where does MBTI move past just being theory?

Yeah, the best theories are usually the most elegant (at least, that's what the scientific community strives for anyway).

But there can be real danger in getting too comfy with a partially correct theory. Especially when it clouds one's view of incoming, better theories.

However, since personality is such a difficult thing to quantify, perhaps something partially correct is better than nothing. :p

How do you (personally) determine what's correct or better?

The topic of this thread is "ENTP description". These opinions with some fact-based insight would prolly help the common folk and the Wiki project. Right now we've got a bunch of 'stuff & fluff' and it's not even funny. An all-around ENTP fail. :glasses:

(BTW, I'm not kicking-up sand. I'm trying to understand where you're coming from with this.)

A

A window to the soul

I wanna do the brain part. :laugh:

But I don't have access to psychology articles ....

I have a question:

I have an ENTP teacher in college and he talks about a ton of stuff, anything except economy :laugh:

He told us that he was a "late speaker" he found it funny that it took him a long time to start talking, but when he started, he didn't stop, and now he's talking all the time :laugh:

Were any of u guys late speakers...? Or whatever it's called.

I started talking when I was 9 months old...mom told me that I was jumping around saying words :laugh:
But that's kind of wrong...since I couldn't walk at that time...so how could I jump?!
How does a small baby jump...that's ridiculous..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

LOLZ cute story! My Mom said I started talking at 6 months :tongue:

My first word was "outside".

Maybe you were jumping around in one of those baby bouncers that, if hooked up between two trees, also doubles as a giant sling shot.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Hmmm, I don't understand what you mean. Specifically, where does MBTI move past just being theory?

I was thinking of it more of a difference between "theoretical speculation" and "scientific theory." Until we get more scientific evidence of MBTI being an accurate way of categorizing ALL personality I'm disinclined to treat it with more than lighthearted, fun theorizing.

Yeah the way it's all put together is interesting and fits together nicely within the framework of itself, but it doesn't mean that it's science. When it moves past just being a theory removed from practical application, it fails. Yes, I relate to the ENTP type. Yes, I do see a lot of truth to it in a lot of instances in my life. And you may, too. But that doesn't make it true. All it does is make it true based on our perception of it (which is limited). I'd love to see psychologists prove it! I quite enjoy MBTI and Jungian function theory. I enjoy seeing how it might align with certain aspects of my life. But just cause I enjoy it, doesn't make it universally true. It doesn't make other theories that are better, not as good.

How do you (personally) determine what's correct or better?

Well, I view the difference between right and wrong as lying more on a spectrum. Absolute right and absolute wrong (if I even dare to go there) are the two extremes. On the "wrong" end are statements like "frogs have fur" and on the right end are things like "mammals have fur." It's not like I refer to this spectrum as an absolute truth gauge, but it gives me a general idea of where new information fits in. Like a frog wearing a fur coat would fit in closer to the "right" end when evaluated with the "frogs have fur" comment (but then I'd get into the semantics around the word "have"...does it mean "possessing" or "naturally occurring from birth" or etc. etc.). It's more like a framework with various shades of black and white that's always open for remodeling.

Blah blah blah, anyway, if some theory comes along that is cleaner than the old theory (and still addresses the same topic) then it wouldn't necessarily discredit the old theory, but the new theory would be put into the system more towards the "right" end ahead of the old one, thus sliding the old one back. "Good theories" (in theory) are ones that explain everything with no additions (ie. excuses), with no submissions (ie. it works for x amount of the public, but not for y amount) and is based on sound logic that agrees with observation.

I may have any number hair-brained ideas that are logical and seem COOL, but it doesn't make em universally true. I can believe it, but if something comes along that explains the same thing better (ie. meets the above criteria) then the old theory's gets pushed further towards "wrong."

(BTW, I'm not kicking-up sand. I'm trying to understand where you're coming from with this.)

Haha, no offense taken. I love this sort of stuff. Sorry for the wall of text.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Maybe you were jumping around in one of those baby bouncers that, if hooked up between two trees, also doubles as a giant sling shot.

Nope, they didn't get me a sling shot because they feared I would launch myself in outer space with an aquarium on my head.

I wonder what mom thought when I called her today to ask her when I started talking.
"He never calls ...and when he calls...he asks weird questions :laugh:"

G

garbage

I don't make for a good ENTP, either. I find it hard to bold the "advantages" to ENTP in the type descriptions because I don't want to feel arrogant :doh:

typelogic said:
"Clever" is the word that perhaps describes ENTPs best. The professor who juggles half a dozen ideas for research papers and grant proposals in his mind while giving a highly entertaining lecture on an abstruse subject is a classic example of the type. So is the stand-up comedian whose lampoons are not only funny, but incisively accurate.

ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport.

ENTPs are as innovative and ingenious at problem-solving as they are at verbal gymnastics; on occasion, however, they manage to outsmart themselves. This can take the form of getting found out at "sharp practice"--ENTPs have been known to cut corners without regard to the rules if it's expedient -- or simply in the collapse of an over-ambitious juggling act. Both at work and at home, ENTPs are very fond of "toys"--physical or intellectual, the more sophisticated the better. They tend to tire of these quickly, however, and move on to new ones.

ENTPs are basically optimists, but in spite of this (perhaps because of it?), they tend to become extremely petulant about small setbacks and inconveniences. (Major setbacks they tend to regard as challenges, and tackle with determin- ation.) ENTPs have little patience with those they consider wrongheaded or unintelligent, and show little restraint in demonstrating this. However, they do tend to be extremely genial, if not charming, when not being harassed by life in general.

In terms of their relationships with others, ENTPs are capable of bonding very closely and, initially, suddenly, with their loved ones. Some appear to be deceptively offhand with their nearest and dearest; others are so demonstrative that they succeed in shocking co-workers who've only seen their professional side. ENTPs are also good at acquiring friends who are as clever and entertaining as they are. Aside from those two areas, ENTPs tend to be oblivious of the rest of humanity, except as an audience -- good, bad, or potential.

PersonalityPage said:
As an ENTP, your primary mode of living is focused externally, where you take things in primarily via your intuition. Your secondary mode is internal, where you deal with things rationally and logically.

With Extraverted Intuition dominating their personality, the ENTP's primary interest in life is understanding the world that they live in. They are constantly absorbing ideas and images about the situations they are presented in their lives. Using their intuition to process this information, they are usually extremely quick and accurate in their ability to size up a situation. With the exception of their ENFP cousin, the ENTP has a deeper understanding of their environment than any of the other types.

This ability to intuitively understand people and situations puts the ENTP at a distinct advantage in their lives. They generally understand things quickly and with great depth. Accordingly, they are quite flexible and adapt well to a wide range of tasks. They are good at most anything that interests them. As they grow and further develop their intuitive abilities and insights, they become very aware of possibilities, and this makes them quite resourceful when solving problems.

ENTPs are idea people. Their perceptive abilities cause them to see possibilities everywhere. They get excited and enthusiastic about their ideas, and are able to spread their enthusiasm to others. In this way, they get the support that they need to fulfill their visions.

ENTPs are less interested in developing plans of actions or making decisions than they are in generating possibilities and ideas. Following through on the implementation of an idea is usually a chore to the ENTP. For some ENTPs, this results in the habit of never finishing what they start. The ENTP who has not developed their Thinking process will have problems with jumping enthusiastically from idea to idea, without following through on their plans. The ENTP needs to take care to think through their ideas fully in order to take advantage of them.

The ENTP's auxiliary process of Introverted Thinking drives their decision making process. Although the ENTP is more interested in absorbing information than in making decisions, they are quite rational and logical in reaching conclusions. When they apply Thinking to their Intuitive perceptions, the outcome can be very powerful indeed. A well-developed ENTP is extremely visionary, inventive, and enterprising.

ENTPs are fluent conversationalists, mentally quick, and enjoy verbal sparring with others. They love to debate issues, and may even switch sides sometimes just for the love of the debate. When they express their underlying principles, however, they may feel awkward and speak abruptly and intensely.

The ENTP personality type is sometimes referred to the "Lawyer" type. The ENTP "lawyer" quickly and accurately understands a situation, and objectively and logically acts upon the situation. Their Thinking side makes their actions and decisions based on an objective list of rules or laws. If the ENTP was defending someone who had actually committed a crime, they are likely to take advantage of quirks in the law that will get their client off the hook. If they were to actually win the case, they would see their actions as completely fair and proper to the situation, because their actions were lawful. The guilt or innocence of their client would not be as relevant. If this type of reasoning goes uncompletely unchecked by the ENTP, it could result in a character that is perceived by others as unethical or even dishonest. The ENTP, who does not naturally consider the more personal or human element in decision making, should take care to notice the subjective, personal side of situations. This is a potential problem are for ENTPs. Although their logical abilities lend strength and purpose to the ENTP, they may also isolate them from their feelings and from other people.

The least developed area for the ENTP is the Sensing-Feeling arena. If the Sensing areas are neglected, the ENTP may tend to not take care of details in their life. If the Feeling part of themself is neglected, the ENTP may not value other people's input enough, or may become overly harsh and aggressive.

Under stress, the ENTP may lose their ability to generate possibilities, and become obsessed with minor details. These details may seem to be extremely important to the ENTP, but in reality are usually not important to the big picture.

In general, ENTPs are upbeat visionaries. They highly value knowledge, and spend much of their lives seeking a higher understanding. They live in the world of possibilities, and become excited about concepts, challenges and difficulties. When presented with a problem, they're good at improvising and quickly come up with a creative solution. Creative, clever, curious, and theoretical, ENTPs have a broad range of possibilities in their lives.

Also:

I generally hate conflicts...well..unless I'm provoked, but I usually don't cause much conflict, since where there's conflict there's no fun. And fun is always more important than conflict for me.

Thus the : "Why can't we all get along and do something interesting" attitude.

I usually feel bad when I say inappropriate things and hurt others without wanting...and feel bad if I hurt other people's feelings. I take them into consideration.

This, yes, definitely true for me.

A

A window to the soul

Myers-Briggs description
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENTP)
Using their primary function-attitude of extraverted intuition (Ne), ENTPs are quick to see complex interrelationships between people, things, and ideas. These interrelationships are analyzed in profound detail through the ENTPs auxiliary function, introverted thinking (Ti). The result is an in-depth understanding of the way things and relationships work, and how they can be improved. To the ENTP, competence and intelligence are particularly prized, both in themselves and in other people. ENTPs are frequently described as clever, cerebrally and verbally quick, enthusiastic, outgoing, innovative, flexible, loyal and resourceful. ENTPs are motivated by a desire to understand and improve the world they live in. They are usually accurate in sizing up a situation. They may have a perverse sense of humor and sometimes play devil's advocate, which can create misunderstandings with friends, coworkers, and family. ENTPs are ingenious and adept at directing relationships between means and ends. ENTPs devise fresh, unexpected solutions to difficult problems. However, they are less interested in generating and following through with detailed plans than in generating ideas and possibilities. In a team environment, ENTPs are most effective in a role where they can draw on their abilities to offer deep understanding, a high degree of flexibility, and innovative solutions to problems. The ENTP regards a comment like "it can't be done" as a personal challenge, and, if properly motivated, will spare no effort to discover a solution.

Keirsey descriptions
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENTP)
Inventors are introspective, pragmatic, informative, and expressive. They can become highly skilled in functional engineering and invention. Of all the role variants, Inventors are the most resistant to doing things a certain way just because it was done that way in the past. Intensely curious, Inventors are always looking for new projects to work on, and they have an entrepreneurial character. Designing and improving mechanisms and products is a constant goal of Inventors.
Though full of ideas, Inventors are primarily interested in those that can be put into action or used to make products.:happy0065: For example, they see product design as a means to an end, the goal being a marketable prototype. When beginning a project, they rarely start with a blueprint. Rather they are confident in their ability to find effective and pragmatic solutions during the design process.
Inventors tend to be laid back, nonjudgmental, and good conversationalists. They are often nonconformists who attract a circle of friends interested in their ideas or activities. Generally informative rather than directive in their social exchanges, Inventors are often able to explain their own complicated ideas well, and to comprehend the complex ideas of others. In arguments they may use debating skills, often to the significant disadvantage of their opponent.[2] This strategy can backfire, however, by alienating those seeking a cooperative relationship rather than a combative one.[17]
Inventors are usually ingenious individuals who are capable of rising to meet the demands of challenging situations. In work, they tend to be good leaders of pilot products that test their abilities. Constantly looking for new ways to do things, Inventors usually have the drive and the social skills to implement their ideas.[2]

I would add: INDEPENDANT, SELF-ASSURED, FLEXIBLE, GENEROUS, OPTIMISTIC, ASSERTIVE, UNPREDICTABLE, quirky, not easily disturbed, not easily defeated, and NOT arrogant...

The world needs more ENTP's and more purple. :yay:

Key:
  1. Bold - true for me
  2. strikethrough - not true for me
  3. blue - things I think are true "in general" for ENTP
  4. green - type-specific, but not exclusive to ENTP (NTP traits)
  5. purple - my general comments.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Flying helicopter turtles with 2 heads and 10 eyes.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Helicopter turtles are so old school. Turtles with jet packs and 5 goggles to cover the 10 eyes is the way to go. Perhaps we should just move on to discussing the coolness that space traveling reptiles would be.

What were we talking about again?

Ohhh, I should probably sneak out of here for now...