123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w3
    Socionics
    sx

Exclamation NTs with addictions?!

I've allways wondered if us NTs are more prone to addictions...

And I mean in any sort of way be it a consumable like sweets, alcohol, cigaretes, drugs (I might be banned for this!). Or diferent things like little rituals "I must have a coffe break at 3 pm or else!!"

For example I'm a regular smoker (4-6 cigs a day) but i realy turn hardcore when I'm over anxious about something or when a project starts to take too long to be acomplished...

Plz comment! This thread is no meant to be offensive it's just that i'm curious! If you have any kind of adiction plz share and tell us what triggers it!
    "Try and fail, try again and fail better!"

E67% N84% T67% P95% (Procastination FTW, begining next monday)

"It's not bad gammar, it's a sexy brasilian accent"

R12:21

MBTI
    INTP

I've always said I've a fairly addictive personality, and it's pretty much the main reason why I don't drink much and have never tried any recreational drugs (including tobacco). I'm addicted to food, and have been addicted to video games and certain tv shows in the past; in fact, one summer I spent most of my days in bed playing Monster Hunter, and avoiding meeting up with people so I could continue to play the game. I don't seem to have a trigger, or at least any I've identified, but it is a problem for me and one I'm always conscious to heed.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

ThatGirl

I don't have an addictive personality at all, and because of this I probably participate in more over indulgence than the average person. My history is that no matter how "addictive" the substance, the second I actually decide to quit, I walk away without giving it a second thought.

Of course I don't have any experience with most of the addictive substances in the world.

It would seem the worst of them all, so far, has been this forum. :p

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Mostly the Internet and forums for me. I used to be addicted to certain computer games and Ninetendo in my childhood.

It's not really the same as addiction I don't think, but maybe related. I'll get really obsessed with something for awhile and it can be hard to pull me away from it. In the past this could be certain TV shows- if I found one I liked, I'd want to watch every episode. Certain authors or musicians have that effect too.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I would say that I don't have that personality, but there are things that I would have trouble with without them. Caffeine is a big one, but that's possibly because I don't sleep very much, and if I have to stay away, but I physically can't, I get crabby.

Actually, other than that, I don't think I get very 'addicted' to things. I could say I'm addicted to the internet, but I'm not. I'm on it mostly because it calms me down after a busy day, lets me recollect my thoughts, and entertains me when I'm bored. If (for example, spring break) I'm being entertained most of the time, and have no internet access for a long time, then I'll be fine, just as long as there's people to hang out with and talk to, and something to do.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthtuk View Post

consumable like sweets, alcohol, cigaretes, drugs (I might be banned for this!).
    No you won't

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I think any mbti type can be prone to addictions. What I've noticed from personal experience though, is that my J friends are far more solid on kicking addictions when they finally set their mind to it. Next up would be NT's. THe most addictive friends I've had are SP's and NF's. And I think this makes sense in that SP's are very experience oriented, and NF's are strongly affected by emotion. So an SP might dabble in some serious drugs for the kick of it and get hooked, and the NF's might have dabbled in drugs and get hooked because of how it makes them FEEl. Again, addictions to do with drugs. I have also known quite a few NT's specifically INT's that really loved their booze. A way to get out of their mind and connect with a social/external environment.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w3
    Socionics
    sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    No you won't
    Hehe just cheking cause some forum moderators are realy touchy about some subjects
    "Try and fail, try again and fail better!"

E67% N84% T67% P95% (Procastination FTW, begining next monday)

"It's not bad gammar, it's a sexy brasilian accent"

R12:21

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/34/3/359.full

The above is a study that discusses forms of addiction broken out by type. Refer to the tables for executive summaries. NTs don't appear to lean towards addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthtuk View Post
    I've allways wondered if us NTs are more prone to addictions...

And I mean in any sort of way be it a consumable like sweets, alcohol, cigaretes, drugs (I might be banned for this!). Or diferent things like little rituals "I must have a coffe break at 3 pm or else!!"

For example I'm a regular smoker (4-6 cigs a day) but i realy turn hardcore when I'm over anxious about something or when a project starts to take too long to be acomplished...

Plz comment! This thread is no meant to be offensive it's just that i'm curious! If you have any kind of adiction plz share and tell us what triggers it!
    My ENTP brother never had any addictions I was aware of until he served in the Iraq War... twice. Suddenly, he was drinking a lot. I got really, really worried and now I'm really proud of him for having gotten that under control within the first year of returning. It hasn't been a problem since, but I think his family helps keep him self-aware.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to kick the chew habit.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke