• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs with addictions?!

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't been addicted to any substance, even those I've had more than a moderate helping in. I've smoked (cigars and cigarettes) and drank (liquor, beer, caffeine, the works), but I refuse to use drugs since doing so would void my contract with the Marines (and it's stupid anyway). None of these things got me hooked, despite my prolonged use of them. I could walk away whenever I wanted, and I have. Currently a straight edge kind of guy and have been for six months. Wouldn't mind a Guinness right now, however. Mmm dark.

Unique

I have at times not been able to resist something in certain situations but I've never had to rely on a substance and/or activity

quidtimeam

MBTI Type
INTP
I can testify that poorly developed Si and Fe can create major addiction problems for INTPs. Tertiary Si filters the world in a highly limited, selective way, which creates the potential to fixate on few sensory experiences we come to rely on and expect. My very narrow capacity to focus on my environment makes easily procured sensory comforts, like junk food that doesn't require preparation, extremely attractive. I don't want to have to prepare or worry about these things, and this tunnel vision can be especially bad if it becomes engaged with some Fe attachment. Just like how mature SJs live in habit without stepping back from it and considering the value of their cherished pastimes, the SJ shadow can attach us to routine, but in being less developed than that of our SJ counterparts, it is more likely to be a more primitive, unrefined routine that pops up to meet some urgent emotional contingency.

During stress, for instance, I'll stockpile a massive amount of my favorite snacks and just graze on them throughout the day. I think it is important to understand this in the context of the SJ shadow, since it seems that for other types with an SP shadow, like the INTJs I know, addiction manifests as more a process of liberation from boredom, while for SJ shadow manifests it as a way to externally regulate a powerful, chaotic inner process of thought.

As far as NTs in general, I doubt that we struggle with addiction more than other types on account of anything intrinsic in our typologies, but probably are more likely to be depressed than other types which manifests itself in addictive behavior. Plus, we are probably less likely to be aware of our addictions or their triggers due to a lower level of emotional consciousness than, say, our NF peers, thus making them more deeply entrenched. Sometimes I'll look back and only later understand that I went on an internet or food binge to avoid or comfort some emotional reality, while somebody with better developed F would probably at least be aware of the root of this compensatory behavior even if they still choose to indulge in it.

NickNaylor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8/SX
It seems that most NT people tend to categorically strategize their "addictions". Their 125 mg of caffeine at x:xx AM/PM gives them x amount of time at xx/100 performance, and without it, the master plan would fall apart. As for the fancy behind the experience (not only caffeine), I find that most NTs convince themselves that they are in some sort of heightened alertness or logical state of some sort. It must be due to the ridiculous ego that comes with figuring you're generally more intelligent than most people, and that having the one-up beats all odds on a good or bad day.

Sensors would refer to us as "whiny babies" when such things don't seem to fall into place.

Kuthtuk

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w3
I have been addicted to everything you could be on one world. Just quitted smoking for 2 weeks after being a regular smoker for 10 years with over 30 cigs per day.

Good thing is I have survived all unhealthy addictions and they wont come back now. I know am only a forum addict still. :)

Hehe! Lately I've been satisfied with lower nicotine cigaretes, wich i guess is a good sign XD!

WOW! I tought i was the only person that had a thing for chewing ice! Whenever I go to a McDonalds i dont consider the meal finished until I've chewed the ice left in the coke cup! Or when i go with my girl and ask her
"You done with your drink?"
"Why?"
"Cause I whant the ice!"
"?You crazy?"
"Wutttt you kiding me?! Its the best part!!!":solidarity:

But i guess for me the real "devil" is thoose little plastic coffee stirrers! Dude! I belive they have an invisible coat of heroin or something!
Same thing with toothpicks, I realy think that their boxes should come with a warning.

"Warning! The ministry of health adverts! Highly adictive objects"

Vorm Krieg

From time to time I take a one weeks brake from sugar, caffeine and nicotine to assure that I won't develop an addiction. These are substances I use almost excessively on a daily basis, though I would hate to depend on any of it to function properly.

I guess that I'm just pretty ravenous in most aspects of my life. :)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know.

I do think some NTs are more likely to kick addictions to the curb when the finally get around to doing it. My ENTJ sister was on crack for years and years. When she finally kicked, it went flying--it was pretty damn amazing to see. I don't know if I could duplicate something like that.

During stress, for instance, I'll stockpile a massive amount of my favorite snacks and just graze on them throughout the day. I think it is important to understand this in the context of the SJ shadow, since it seems that for other types with an SP shadow, like the INTJs I know, addiction manifests as more a process of liberation from boredom, while for SJ shadow manifests it as a way to externally regulate a powerful, chaotic inner process of thought.

I do this myself. And I see the same thing in my INTJ friend.