User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your view on religion as an ENTP?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am Christian and very serious about it

14 29.79%
  • I'm Christian...whateva

1 2.13%
  • I was raised Christian and came to my senses

13 27.66%
  • Christians freak me the funk out, stay away!

4 8.51%
  • I'm down with the Buddha

5 10.64%
  • I'm Muslim

1 2.13%
  • Judaism is my thing

3 6.38%
  • Athists are better lovers

8 17.02%
  • Agnostics are fearless lovers

12 25.53%
  • Dude, what the hell, you forgot mine!

5 10.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234513 Last

A window to the soul

Thumbs up

God is with me in all that I do. I owe every success, every joy, every teary-eyed moment of genius, everything! Everything I owe to God!! I have a deep assurance and happiness that remains steady, that would make me rich if I could bottle these special feelings and sell them. Rational? Look around you. Is it rational to say that everything came together just perfectly without a divine creator and poof there you are? God is with us. God is with the baby taking its first breath and the old man taking his last. God is right there outside your window: from the birds & bees, to the beautiful flowers & trees, the mountains, and the stars in the night sky. So if one of us is wrong,... if I'm wrong, I still leave this world happy with faith in something, having lost nothing.

What happens if you're wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    A rational person can't believe in an irrational thing. Christianity is irrational, so therefore all Christians are not rational.
    Who's saying that there are people who are completely, 100% rational? Is that even possible? And Christianity probably has some parts of it that are rational in an insular way (ie. are logical, but not especially so in regard to other theories like those that science provides).

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but I do have qualms with your argument. It makes a lot of assumptions and tries to simplify something that isn't so black and white.
    Likes Florence Atley liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Is it rational to say that everything came together just perfectly and poof there you were?
    Yes, because the notion that it is perfect or beautiful is nothing but your quite arbitrary interpretation of things that just are.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

God is with me in all that I do. I owe every success, every joy, every teary-eyed moment of genius, everything! Everything I owe to God!! I have a deep assurance and happiness that remains steady, that would make me rich if I could bottle these special feelings and sell them. Rational? Look around you. Is it rational to say that everything came together just perfectly and poof there you were? God is right outside of your front door from the birds & bees, to the beautiful flowers, trees, mountains, the baby taking it's first breath, and the stars in the night sky. So if one of us is wrong, I'll go out of this world happy with faith in something, and risk nothing.
    That was a joke right?!
    I mean, I couldn't have constructed an ironic counter argument to the sheer short sightedness, close mindedness and complete disregard of the current sum of human knowledge necessary to actively believe in these things any better if I had tried.
    it WAS a joke. Must have been.
    I can't tell without the tone of voice.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    it WAS a joke. Must have been.
    O no! She has a history of ... being so.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    O no! She has a history of ... being so.
    maybe she's training to become a stand up comedian
    I mean cmon, at a glance I could fill a book with all the inconsistencies the sentences hint at. I mean it, I couldn't have condensed an ironic counter argument to western monotheism any better.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

God is right outside of your front door from the birds & bees, to the beautiful flowers, trees, mountains, the baby taking it's first breath, and the stars in the night sky. So if one of us is wrong, I'll go out of this world happy with faith in something, and risk nothing.
    Isn't it enough to love and admire the complexity of the universe for all these things? Why does God have to be a part of it?

I've thought about how the idea of God makes a lot of people happy and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but God isn't necessary to illicit such an emotion.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    A rational person can't believe in an irrational thing. Christianity is irrational, so therefore all Christians are not rational.
    Stating a thing does not make it so. Explain your position.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window
    Likes Florence Atley liked this post

ReflecTcelfeR

I would also point out that believing in the unknown is not irrational, it's simply seen as ignorant, which in itself is way too subjective to actually qualify. No one knows and as of such no one (I am aware of my hypocrisy) can say that the others argument is inherently wrong. Agnosticism does seem to be the best way to handle these situations whether you are atheistic or theistic.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

God is with me in all that I do
    pretty but unsubstanciated. Also if god is with everyone and that explains why nobody sees every damn effect to It\Him\Her then there's no point in thinking 'he' makes you special or should feel special for not getting any particular attention.
    I owe every success, every joy, every teary-eyed moment of genius, everything! Everything I owe to God!!
    unsubstanciated, again. And it'd also mean that you and humanity owes it all the pain, death and suffering. I'm not sure why It should be thanked for 'good things' and never blamed for all the 'bad'.

I have a deep assurance and happiness that remains steady, that would make me rich if I could bottle these special feelings and sell them.
    I don't see how the way you feel is supposed to prove anything about your supposed Dad-In-The-Sky anymore than the allucinations of a madman prove that there are really ants crawling under his skin.

Rational? Look around you. Is it rational to say that everything came together just perfectly and poof there you were?
    Not if you don't understand statistics I guess.
    God is right outside of your front door from the birds & bees, to the beautiful flowers, trees, mountains, the baby taking it's first breath, and the stars in the night sky.
    Agaain. Unsubstanciated. That's not worth any more than claiming random things about people you don't know. It's pure noise and no data hint at any 'God' in any of the places you mentioned. Also it'd mean that god is in poo and gang rapers and murderers and the Iroshima Bomb...
    So if one of us is wrong, I'll go out of this world happy with faith in something, and risk nothing.
    Given that nobody ever found any substanciable data for life after death or any kind of 'supernatural' realm and that I'd assume that, living in the same human world and universe you and I should have access to roughly the same data it's far more likely that you'll die, and rot and your carbon will cycle through earth if it's not confined and so on. Also 'risk nothing' is silly. Whenever you have two choices and base your action on the fact that you expect to get one face of the coin rather than another you take a risk. Whenever there is choice there is risk, it's a consequence of any system in which the possible states are >1 assuming free will and awareness exist.

Also, you don't take into account the fact that the possibilities are not balanced. It's like saying 'I'm going to go live in a cave for all my life in the eventuality that a hypothetical god will eventually bring me back to youth and make me the richest man on earth on the eve of my death! I risk nothing'
    Or "why work when there's a Lottery ?"
    Which leads me back to the point about a poor understanding of statistics.

... In theory.