User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your view on religion as an ENTP?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am Christian and very serious about it

14 29.79%
  • I'm Christian...whateva

1 2.13%
  • I was raised Christian and came to my senses

13 27.66%
  • Christians freak me the funk out, stay away!

4 8.51%
  • I'm down with the Buddha

5 10.64%
  • I'm Muslim

1 2.13%
  • Judaism is my thing

3 6.38%
  • Athists are better lovers

8 17.02%
  • Agnostics are fearless lovers

12 25.53%
  • Dude, what the hell, you forgot mine!

5 10.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 18262728

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    details an entp cannot be bothered with
    *drops the idea at an intj convention*
    *leaves with a contented smile and waits for publications*
    This is how all good ideas become reality. ENTP -> INTJ. And one of the reasons I married an INTJ.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, it's all about faith. Many ENTPs don't have a strong faith in supernatural, do they? If I don't see it happening, or don't get enough evidence of it, I don't believe it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Most of the "Rationals" I personally know are Christians. But I don't blame their lack of reason, it's the environment. The xNTJ's are more christian than the xNTP's. Something about personal connection with god and other mystical bullshit.

A window to the soul

It's interesting that Jung contributed a lot to God's presence in our lives. Jung didn't look at the conscious ego as the complete person; he also looked at the unconscious psyche and theorized that to be fully human we must be in dialog with the unknown. That our "central core" yearns for a life that's fully whole and integrated. The key assumption is that the conscious has to be open to the myriad of ways in which the unconscious manifests itself. Through the process of receiving and integrating the unconscious, we become more whole and individual.

As for ENTP's (Ne dom) having faith, lolz!, intuition by definition is the perception of the unseen. It's not surprising that some ENTP's put enough of the pieces together to form a wholeness of God. Jung called intuition the function closest to the unconscious and considered it necessary for individuation, which is what I briefly described in my previous paragraph. Me personally, I have a lot of faith. I think more than most.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by StrawMan View Post
    Well, it's all about faith. Many ENTPs don't have a strong faith in supernatural, do they? If I don't see it happening, or don't get enough evidence of it, I don't believe it.
    Actually my 4 ENTP friends are all Christian. My ex was not into religion at all.

I could be part of a strange N vortex though since I have far more N types in my life than statistics would have me believe is possible.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    But, without God there is no reason to love or admire anything... everything just is.
    Really? I admired my husband when he got out of the shower dripping wet this evening. The only "just is" about that is that it just is sexy. God had nothing to do with it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Really? I admired my husband when he got out of the shower dripping wet this evening. The only "just is" about that is that it just is sexy. God had nothing to do with it.
    Clearly God made him sexy and allowed you to have him and blessed you both with wet watery goodness. Praises!
    Likes AphroditeGoneAwry liked this post

I am an ENTP to the letter, and I am a Christian and very serious about it. I came to it by logical conclusion. That sounds like nonsense to those that don't want to believe it, but then again, I don't have to believe what you do, and no one is forcing you to believe what I do. Do I care if you believe it, to a degree yes. From two degrees in particular: logic and compassion. Logic because of the amount of evidence that has eliminated the impossibility of spontaneous generation (which violates many scientific laws), and to deny Intelligent Design (at its core, not necessarily Christianity) is to deny science. Compassion because of what I have learned, and the fact that if we live by the general principles of Christianity, and having Christ reign in our lives, we would be much better off in the long run (yes, eternal life as well).
    Do I believe in that eternally tormenting hellfire? Not a chance. It's not biblical, and to be a logical Christian is to go by what's in the Bible; otherwise, you're a liar and a hypocrite and the world blasphemes God because of you.
    Are you offended by this? It's okay. I'm not

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    Ell Fi

Belief in Christianity is not entirely positivistic, but that doesn't prove that it is irrational. Logic weighs many kinds of evidence, not just the physical. Whether or not a belief system is logical depends on how you reach conclusions to questions. Although Christians can not prove the existence of God empirically, they may still have valid beliefs which support their claim.

Perhaps you have not met many logically based Christians, but I would submit that many who rely on empirical evidence are not logically based either. Just because you believe what you read in a text book (or a Bible) does not automatically make you capable of logical thought. Furthermore, positivism (like Christianity) ultimately requires a faith (a belief built on incomplete evidence) that the scientific method is a 100% trustworthy system. Scientific theories also require this kind of faith. The major fallacy I notice in positivists is the same one I see in many Christians - their main response to burden of proof is appeal to authority, not logical reasoning.

There are two ways of arguing this - either you show that Christianity as a contained system has faulty premises or conclusions which don't follow (which you can also do with scientific theories), or you can say that Christianity does not follow from empiricism (which is what I think you're saying).

There are major gaps between Christianity and popular scientific theory. Fortunately, most of these gaps contain no empirical proof to debate (the existence of God, for instance). So now you ask, what about the big bang, evolution, etc? It is helpful that most of the discrepancies between Christianity and positivism exist in the form of scientific theories which can not be 100% proven, and which are still heavily debated within the scientific realm. Again, not much to debate.

Since a simple appeal to authority (either way) will not stand up to scrutiny, we might try to determine which system is most free from faulty premises. The burden of proof rests on the one willing to make that claim. I see no feasible way to make such a measurement, and I would certainly not leap to say positivism as a structure is entirely illogical (although a blind adherence to it would be).

If then, one were to come to the conclusion that both belief systems are equally plausible as self-contained structures, all that is left is to choose sides based on perceived truth. The answer to that question depends on what you're most focused on. Positivism falls greatly short on subjective experience and meaning, which most philosophers, neuroscientists and psychologists will tell you. Christianity falls short on scientific peer review and popular opinion.

Anyway, just trying to show that it IS possible to consider Christianity from a logical perspective.
    You and I compose reality - the sharing of human intimacy, a topic whose depth takes endless breath to understand, though the bravest try through books. Yeah. We are all fans of decadence, but do know: what you know is incidental. Who is speaking? The truth speaks.