User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your view on religion as an ENTP?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am Christian and very serious about it

14 29.79%
  • I'm Christian...whateva

1 2.13%
  • I was raised Christian and came to my senses

13 27.66%
  • Christians freak me the funk out, stay away!

4 8.51%
  • I'm down with the Buddha

5 10.64%
  • I'm Muslim

1 2.13%
  • Judaism is my thing

3 6.38%
  • Athists are better lovers

8 17.02%
  • Agnostics are fearless lovers

12 25.53%
  • Dude, what the hell, you forgot mine!

5 10.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    There was one. If you look back to the third page, Nerdgirl responded and said she's a Christian ENTP.
    Yeah, but you can't really trust anything crazy people say now, can you.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Do you believe there's nobody in Argentina named Robert because you haven't met him?
    With arguments like that you could argue the case for winged galaxy sized bees, living poo, zombies, unicorns, that my gardener is a triceratops, that ... if all your points do is to say that yes there's always a chance, in a perfect, infinite multiverse with an infinity of different physical properties that whatever you can think of will exist, then yep, it works.

When your arguments and beliefs about the universe defy all peer reviewable(not necessarily scientists, just something that can be checked) observations, why do you think it's the universe which's wrong. Yet science and reason is always, somehow, the arrogant one, for daring not agreeing with unsubstanciated delusions. If you need a dad-in-the-sky then of course i'll never treat you as an adult.

who told them something which you don't know?
    So.. hearing voices in your head then ?
    Or are you just arguing the case for all the saint and strait jacket wearing lunatics out there
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    With arguments like that you could argue the case for winged galaxy sized bees, living poo, zombies, unicorns, that my gardener is a triceratops, that ... if all your points do is to say that yes there's always a chance, in a perfect, infinite multiverse with an infinity of different physical properties that whatever you can think of will exist, then yep, it works.
    Nobody sane claims to know living poo, winged galaxy sized bees, unicorns, etc. If you're going to seriously try to claim that over a billion people are actually insane, you'd better get working on it.

When your arguments and beliefs about the universe defy all peer reviewable(not necessarily scientists, just something that can be checked) observations, why do you think it's the universe which's wrong.
    Do you really think I care who says what? Really?

So.. hearing voices in your head then ?
    Or are you just arguing the case for all the saint and strait jacket wearing lunatics out there
    Since you know what everybody else has experienced better than they do, you tell me what I'm hearing.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Matrix 1 was a real great "Christian-laden" story. A lot of allegory line up with the basic Christian philosophy.

Matrix 2 & 3 began to deviate from that.
    The focus of 2 was "cause and effect / casuality / determinism."
    The focus of 3 was essentially "balance/cycles."

I can see why a Christian might not be able to identify as much with 2 and 3, although conceptually I very much liked all the movies.

Well, my dissatisfactions with #2 & #3 did center around (a) Keanu Reeve's crappy acting ability and (b) in #3, the cut-and-dried closure/cut-scenes of the story, plus the cheesy Ewok "OMG we're all saved let's gush" ending.

let's face it, Christianity is linear in how the story is typically told today by the conservatives. There is a beginning, there is an ending, and everything is about following the through-line and reaching the happy ending. Balance? there is no balance. The world was good and supposed to be that way; then the world turned bad, and we have to restore the world to good.

The Matrix is far more eastern, with its overriding deterministic elements, the continual recycling/rebirth concept, and the need for good and evil to balance since they are just part of the same whole.... although I still think it merges those elements with Christian-style elements such as sacrifice / giving up control / accepting one's fate out of faith, etc. There were still many things i could identify with, Christianity-wise, in the latter two.
    What's ironic is that the Christian elements of the Matrix were specifically Gnostic Christian elements - something the various churches have frowned upon since the fourth century AD. The only aspect that really corresponds to modern Christianity is the whole "dying and coming back" thing, but that really doesn't, after all, since Jesus willingly went to Calvary, while Neo got unlucky.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I love this thread and it is going to have my babies.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    What's ironic is that the Christian elements of the Matrix were specifically Gnostic Christian elements - something the various churches have frowned upon since the fourth century AD. The only aspect that really corresponds to modern Christianity is the whole "dying and coming back" thing, but that really doesn't, after all, since Jesus willingly went to Calvary, while Neo got unlucky.
    While I typically agree with that (and it's one reason why I don't have much issue with it, because I'm probably more gnostic in my leanings), there's a lot of pragmatic rubber-meets-road stuff in there. If there is anything evangelicals love, it is pithy, individual bits of concrete symbolism, so you get one guy telling Neo that he's his own "personal Jesus Christ," you get someone named Trinity bringing "Jesus" back to life, you get what amounts to demons (agents) body-hopping, the speeches about how the world is an illusion and there is a deeper reality, about how the world is against the Elect (who happen to be anchored in Zion) because they are of the world but it's not their fault... they're just blind... comments about "walking the walk and talking the talk," etc. The list is kind of endless, but it's actually all stuff I have heard within evangelical circles in sermons and conferences during my time there. So the movie sort of swiped a lot of language used in that modern Christian circle, which let it resonate with that group.

I can't begin to tell you how many of the evangelical (not fundie, but evangelical + more liberal) churches have used this movie in study group settings. It was hip AND resonant.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Nobody sane claims to know living poo, winged galaxy sized bees, unicorns, etc. If you're going to seriously try to claim that over a billion people are actually insane, you'd better get working on it.
    Argumentum ad populum? Really?

Do you really think I care who says what? Really?
    Didn't you just say this:

Do you consider it absurd that a person may know somebody you don't, who told them something which you don't know?
    earlier? How about this parallel question: do you consider it absurd that a person may know something you don't, that explains something that you don't understand?

Since you know what everybody else has experienced better than they do, you tell me what I'm hearing.
    How the hell is he supposed to do that? No one's arguing over whether or not you're hearing something.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Do you believe there's nobody in Argentina named Robert because you haven't met him?
    No, because I've met people named Robert and know it's a common name amongst native English speakers. Even though I've never been to Argentina, I have no reason to believe it doesn't exist: there's millions of pictures, articles, books, and movies made in and about Argentina. I've never met anything close to God and I have no reason to believe God exists. There's no empirical evidence for his existence and there isn't any a priori reasons to believe in his existence.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    While I typically agree with that (and it's one reason why I don't have much issue with it, because I'm probably more gnostic in my leanings), there's a lot of pragmatic rubber-meets-road stuff in there. If there is anything evangelicals love, it is pithy, individual bits of concrete symbolism, so you get one guy telling Neo that he's his own "personal Jesus Christ," you get someone named Trinity bringing "Jesus" back to life, you get what amounts to demons (agents) body-hopping, the speeches about how the world is an illusion and there is a deeper reality, about how the world is against the Elect (who happen to be anchored in Zion) because they are of the world but it's not their fault... they're just blind... comments about "walking the walk and talking the talk," etc. The list is kind of endless, but it's actually all stuff I have heard within evangelical circles in sermons and conferences during my time there. So the movie sort of swiped a lot of language used in that modern Christian circle, which let it resonate with that group.
    Ah, yes. The same reasoning that takes Jesus from saying "if you want to enter the Kingdom, sell all your possessions, give the proceeds to the poor, and follow Me" to meaning that Jesus has no problem with rich people, and that God materially rewards the faithful on Earth. Riiiiiiiiight.

Essentially, the logic goes something like this - "I'm a Christian. I like X. Christians like Christian things. Therefore, X is Christian."

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Seriously? Is this the best you can do. The human mind is very susceptible to delusion.