• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT values?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I value the truth first and foremost. As without this I cant know who I am or what I want from life. Out of this comes my value of honesty, first and foremost with myself and secondly with others. Without this I would not be able to achieve neither my inner goals nor be able to correspond with others to a satisfactory degree.

Secondly, I value autonomy, as this is what I need to guard my inner life as this is what I need in order to freely pursue my primary value.

Thirdly competence, as this is means to the end of securing my autonomy, that is what I need to stand firmly on my feet.

My Feeling works best after Thinking. Thus, I come to value these maxims after in my analysis I have deemed them worthwhile. For this reason I am usually able to explain why I value the above. This does not take away from the Feeling aspect itself, but only means that the Feeling requires Thinking for legitimation. I cannot accept any given entity as my personal values unless it would be approved by impersonal analysis. That, I believe is how the T value system is typically built.

What about the rest of you?

Feel free to contribute in any way you could think of on the subject of NT values.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Truth--which includes self honesty.

Independence--the concept of self reliance. That you take full responsibility for your own actions.

Fair play--that you know the world will never be a fair place, but that isn't going to stop me from trying to level the score, anyway.

Something perhaps not so NT: Art and Beauty. It's first nature to me.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You've pretty much got the ordering right for me, too. But justice is quite high up as well.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd also say truth and honesty but more in the sense of integrity than the traditional "always telling the truth" sense that people usually mean honesty. I've often found that integrity demands telling the odd lie, whilst always telling the truth can sometimes betray greater principles and make me feel as though I've compromised my integrity in order to self-indulgently tell the truth to make myself feel more righteous.

In people I value constancy, people with whom you know where you stand, who don't blow hot and cold or play head games, people who are direct and clear, and who keep their word. And trust. But somebody doesn't need to be always honest in order for me to trust them... it's not so much a person's actions, words or whatever that I need to be able to trust, but more their "position" with regard to me. Not sure if that makes any sense, but... *shrug*... it doesn't necessarily matter to me if I see a person capable of lying, stealing etc, that doesn't necessarily prevent me from being able to feel I can trust them.

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
Great post.
I am just curious about how the NT values play out at individual level when affected by other beliefs, for example Religion?
Would a Christians NT values differ from an agnostic or even a muslim? Can all these NT values be generalized? How do they differ intra INTP circle?

:) thanks

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Great post.
I am just curious about how the NT values play out at individual level when affected by other beliefs, for example Religion?
Would a Christians NT values differ from an agnostic or even a muslim? Can all these NT values be generalized? How do they differ intra INTP circle?

:) thanks

Interesting question, Butterfly!

I'm a free-thinker myself, although I was educated in a convent school. Let's see if we have sufficient NTs/INTPs responding to get a general idea. :yes:

My guess is no. INTPs, especially, value truth very highly. That has been the common theme so far, amongst all who responded. (note: truth not just in the abstract sense, but also in the sense of honesty/integrity etc)

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
Interesting question, Butterfly!

I'm a free-thinker myself, although I was educated in a convent school. Let's see if we have sufficient NTs/INTPs responding to get a general idea. :yes:

My guess is no. INTPs, especially, value truth very highly. That has been the common theme so far, amongst all who responded. (note: truth not just in the abstract sense, but also in the sense of honesty/integrity etc)

Thanks Elfinchilde :)

Thats what I wanted to get at....that each persons "Truth" is different because its affected by other beliefs. How is the NTs universal truth standardized???
:)

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Thats what I wanted to get at....that each persons "Truth" is different because its affected by other beliefs. How is the NTs universal truth standardized??? :)

i think it may be more accurate to say that NTs search for a universal truth; rather than that our truths are standardised...

(intp digression: i see from your spelling that you're american. :alttongue:)

Usehername

On a mission
(INTJ Christian speaking here)

1. Truth (although what that means more explicitly, do I really know?)
2. I value satiating my knowledge-hunger. I don't know if this is really a value, per se, but I suppose I value the opportunity to learn? Is this a byproduct of valuing autonomy?
3. I value when people are their own people. Because friends are better friends when you are not their whole world.
4. (more Christian-influenced values) Defaulting into respect for everyone until they give me a solid reason to not respect them, being slow to anger, honesty, putting others before yourself (in theory... in reality my actions show otherwise) and I really like the idea of living for today and not worrying about tomorrow's problems that you can't do anything about in the present. I have trouble following through with that.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Integrity, autonomy, patience, forgiveness, humility, wisdom.

Great thread.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NTs have values? I thought we were too unbiased to have values!

I'm actually not sure what my values are or if I even have them -- at least not on a conscious level. My values change practically every second. I'm often very apathetic about a lot of things, or if I do value something, it's usually a burst and then it goes away to a value that is in no way related to the previous. And the pattern continues...

My values also depend on my mood, which changes almost as fast.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Honesty
Liberty
Authenticity

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
i think it may be more accurate to say that NTs search for a universal truth; rather than that our truths are standardised...

(intp digression: i see from your spelling that you're american. :alttongue:)

Ahh, what I read that as is: It is a Subjective Universal Truth in the end? am i right? I am seeing the only constant here among INTPs as "The search for truth" rather than the Truth itself, as its turning out to be very subjective. :thinking:

My spelling..hahaha....Im not American, but this spell checker is :alttongue:

;)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
NTs have values? I thought we were too unbiased to have values!

Well, to be honest, I was a bit insulted by the thread, since it seemed to suggest that we do not have real values, whereas I think that we do have very strong values. Perhaps less than the SJ's or NF's but we feel at least as strong about them.
But this may well be personal projection... :huh:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The reasons for choosing our values will differ from those of the other temperaments, I'm sure.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
The reasons for choosing our values will differ from those of the other temperaments, I'm sure.

yes, as different as the nature of those values and how we deal with them, I suppose...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, to be honest, I was a bit insulted by the thread, since it seemed to suggest that we do not have real values, whereas I think that we do have very strong values. Perhaps less than the SJ's or NF's but we feel at least as strong about them.
But this may well be personal projection... :huh:

Sarcasm, I was being sarcastic.

A good percentage of the time, I am very detached from feeling, and when I have a strong feeling about something, it tends to go away...although sometimes it will come back, and then it goes away again.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Start a thread about it instead of derailing this one.

Edit: ty, uber. :)

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
I do believe NTs choose their values rationally, rather than emotively. As in, if you were to ask any of us why we chose that value, we'd be able to give a reason for it, rather than "i feel it is so."

and yea. I think for INTPs, we tend to express things in absolute terms, but it's with the acknowledgement that it is always subjective and a work in progress: i.e., it's fine with me if others think differently; i do not have to force my views on them to be 'right'.

just my opinion tho...

(digression: there's a spell check here? :huh: )

Edit: a common NT value thus far seems to be truth: in all its forms--honesty, integrity, personal responsibility. Is that right?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I choose my values based on how they will serve me.

The ones I've listed--integrity, autonomy, patience, forgiveness, humility, and wisdom--are all things I value in myself and those I keep in my life, because they make my life more rewarding.. I get great satisfaction from maintaining those values because they keep progress underway.

Not so much because patience is kind.. not because humility is right.. not because integrity is good.. just because they allow for personal growth.

Edit: But if you are referring to values in the sense of a moral compass.. I value justice. My moral compass has nothing to do with myself or serving myself.