• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP after breakup

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
That sucks and it's normal to grieve and hurt. It's really good that you have your life on a better path and I think that if you keep plugging along things will start to feel better in the not too distant future. If you need to talk through things with a therapist, cognitive therapy is a pretty good style for something like this, IMO.

I don't think you are the one to help or be with your ex-gf. It could too easily result in her dragging you down rather than you pulling her up. She needs to find her path herself. I would put as much distance there as you can stand.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think you are the one to help or be with your ex-gf. It could too easily result in her dragging you down rather than you pulling her up. She needs to find her path herself. I would put as much distance there as you can stand.

+1

Rip off that plaster. Fast.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP

I know that it's easy for a stranger to say, but I think that Cafe is completely right here, Dactyl. I know that 2009 wasn't a great year for you happiness-wise, but it sounds like it was a very good year in almost every other way. I think you need to try to focus on your new life and the good position you've put yourself into (and let happiness come from that -- it sounds like it will) -- distance is warranted, here.

dactyl

MBTI Type
INTP

It's amazing how easily swayed I am. Right now, I feel that you are 100% right.. and it feels good, thank you. I hope I still feel this way tomorrow.

I know that it's easy for a stranger to say, but I think that Cafe is completely right here, Dactyl. I know that 2009 wasn't a great year for you happiness-wise, but it sounds like it was a very good year in almost every other way. I think you need to try to focus on your new life and the good position you've put yourself into (and let happiness come from that -- it sounds like it will) -- distance is warranted, here.

I'll definitely try. thanks

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with Cafe and the others. Although it's extremely hard to do, because you are lonely and still love her, you probably won't be able to move on with your life very well while you are still hearing from her. I would encourage you to put some boundaries into place, and tell her as forthrightly as you can the next time she calls you that while you care very much for her, it is just to hard to hear from her, that she needs professional help, and you've done all you can do; as mean as that might make you feel. People with addictions just don't make good friends, and definitely don't have enough love for themselves, much less you, to make good relationships. She will only bring others down with her, as horrible as that sounds. Perhaps some day when she is clean you guys can reconnect, and if it's meant to be...............

And know that it probably wasn't anything you did. Addiction sucks the life out of everything around it, and makes people other than who they truly are. It is a real travesty, not just for the user, but for their friends and family and intimates.

:hug:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Break ups are a bitch and not easy at all. I always had a difficulty with closure even though most of the battles are within. Think it would be easier if I was a J.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Break ups are a bitch and not easy at all. I always had a difficulty with closure even though most of the battles are within. Think it would be easier if I was a J.

Bullshit. Much harder to need 'closure' and not get it, than not really need it.

HomerSoprano

MBTI Type
INTP
She called me one day while I was in the pool with a friend and said to me those fateful words "I started seeing someone else" ..... "but I don't want you to stop talking to me".....

She's an ENFJ

thank you for anything

If I had heard those words from a girlfriend I´d dump her and cut all strings immediately. She´s no good. It´s sad to say but you´re probably just a cuddlebitch for her. And if she´s addicted to heroin it should be so much easier for you to cut her off. It doesn´t sound to me like she´s the love of your life.

Look at it from the bright side. You´re young and got all the good things in life sorted out. Except for a girlfriend. Just get off your computer and go to the gym or whatever and socialize with all the hot chicks there. It will help you forget her.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Bullshit. Much harder to need 'closure' and not get it, than not really need it.

Well perhaps more so with an FJ. Perhaps an xxTJ could give their opinion on the bullshit to the ladies and gentlemen of the motherfucking jury. ;)

PS. spell check corrected a misspelling of the word 'motherfucking'. Well well isn't that the modern word.

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
First of all, congratu_freaking-lations for getting your life on track! That's no small feat!

Now, from the *other side* perspective…
I was once kicked to the curb by an INTP crutch. It was the absolute best thing he could have done for me (and I'm sure It was good for him, as well.).
We met when we were both going through a really unhealthy time and we were both spinning out of control...drinking a lot and just being self-destructive in general. So we formed this very volatile, tense friendship that one of us (usually me) ended over and over and over again.
Anyway, he started to move on witty his life and heal and put more focus into his business and his children and being happy and healthy and general, and I kind of got stuck where I was. But I was so used to having someone to rely on and wallow with when he was low, that I just automatically switched from providing mutual *support* to sucking the poor man dry. I was drinking a LOT at the point, but when my normal attempts at friendship started going unreturned, I started relying on the one thing that would ALWAYS bring him running...my need for his *help.* I'm fairly sure things were exaggerated, maybe even manufactured, just out of desperation to have this person in my life to rely on. He would ignore me, and I would KNOW he was ignoring me and that I should leave him alone, but I was so flipping out of my mind, and scared, I couldn't.
In the end, this is what he told me:
"You remind me of the absolute worst part of myself and the worst time in my life and the pain and destruction I caused to the people around me. I can't watch that again, which is why I need to be as far away from you as humanly possible - once and for all."

It felt like he stabbed me in the heart, I didn't eat for weeks, and I was just generally miserable for a while, but lemme tell you...the pain I was dealing with had NOTHING to do with him and it couldn't be dealt with properly when I was in the middle of being a psychopathic codependent nutcase. And once I realized that, life only got better. For both of us.
Down the road, we're friends again, but nowhere near where we were before and we never will be, simply because we tend to bring out the best and the worst in each other, but the best isn't worth the worst. But I still consider him one of my best friends, always.

Anyway, I rambled on about a part of my life I don't even like to remember, much less talk abut because I wanted you to know that your *help* could be doing more harm than good to the BOTH of you, especially if she's still using. There's no way an addict can *truly* get their life on track, so your efforts are in vain, anyway. Your responsibility is to your own mental health, first in foremost....so just make sure t\o guard it so you don't put everything you've worked so hard for at risk.

Best of luck to ya!

By the way, I don't recommend just deleting and ignoring. An ENFJs need for closure is no less than an INTPs...but we're much more proactive and willing to hang around and bother you until we get it. Personally, leaving a relationship in a confused, unresolved state is far more damaging than leaving a relationship with closure. Explaining your thought processes now could save you a lot of grief in the future. Then deleting without reading is a great idea. Addicts are master manipulators. An ENFJ addict is downright scary.

marquix

MBTI Type
INTP
I think its best when you put your heart to the flame and just tell her you love her without knowing what will happen. I broke up about a month or so ago and send her an email every now and then when I feel like it. I feel much better after and then just go about my business.

To me, it seems logical to have a feeling in your heart that needs to have something done with it. I look at my options, I ignore it, or do something with it. Since I regard directing "her" feeling as "hers", I simply let her know.

I'm never one to really do this, but I happened to have her email password and said, "oh what the heck, one peep to see if she even reads my emails won't hurt"...

I checked the email and found out she had created a filter that sent them straight to the Deleted bin. This really gave me a wake up call because to some extent I was hoping we could patch it up and continue "again". The wake up call sort of left me there feeling like it was serious so I respected it.

A week later, I felt like expressing myself with a simple "thinking of you" in the subject line... (from a different email that is) and felt good with that.

I find it logical to take actions that purge or move the emotional burns or glows we feel develop in our chest. If you feel it, do something with it.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Well perhaps more so with an FJ. Perhaps an xxTJ could give their opinion on the bullshit to the ladies and gentlemen of the motherfucking jury. ;)

PS. spell check corrected a misspelling of the word 'motherfucking'. Well well isn't that the modern word.

TJ are Fi users, so I doubt this is true.

I think its best when you put your heart to the flame and just tell her you love her without knowing what will happen. I broke up about a month or so ago and send her an email every now and then when I feel like it. I feel much better after and then just go about my business.

To me, it seems logical to have a feeling in your heart that needs to have something done with it. I look at my options, I ignore it, or do something with it. Since I regard directing "her" feeling as "hers", I simply let her know.

I'm never one to really do this, but I happened to have her email password and said, "oh what the heck, one peep to see if she even reads my emails won't hurt"...

I checked the email and found out she had created a filter that sent them straight to the Deleted bin. This really gave me a wake up call because to some extent I was hoping we could patch it up and continue "again". The wake up call sort of left me there feeling like it was serious so I respected it.

A week later, I felt like expressing myself with a simple "thinking of you" in the subject line... (from a different email that is) and felt good with that.

I find it logical to take actions that purge or move the emotional burns or glows we feel develop in our chest. If you feel it, do something with it.

That's just horrible, breaking in someone else's emailaccount is illegal, even if you do have the password. Take the wake up call as it is and stop contacting her. You're rationalising it by saying it makes you feel better, while in fact it will only prologue the time you are not going to be able to get over her. Worse yet, you are, probably subconsciously, trying to manipulate her into realizing what a nice guy you are and how vulnerable you are, and that you want her. And women just don't work that way.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ

Yes, I still find it amazing that you consider yourself an INTP. Did you even take the test? A lot of the stuff you say seems a fair bit deluded too. Maybe you think you're an INTP because you've convinced yourself everything you do is logical and rational, despite how much others here disagree.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Well, it depends on who did the breaking up.

If the INTP does the dumping, well... it is over and done with. Kaput. And the INTP will get really irked if the dumped person keeps asking around about them or hanging about or pestering them. (They want to avoid the awkward emotions, they want to avoid clinginess, they want to avoid being stalked.)

Not sure I would be the best neutral INTP to comment, but if an INTP were to do the breaking. It's done, no questions. That means he/she has spent a huge amount of time, and finally came over their laziness to end it :p

I can echo these, from this perspective. After the internal decision is made, it almost doesn't like feel like a decision. Almost seems like an inevitability. Something that must happen. I think it helps being the breaker-upper, simply because you have control, and determinacy which keeps the stress under control.

I am having a problem determining what the relationship should be like afterwards. I don't know how that's supposed to work. Fe blindness, perhaps?

The weakness, is if she makes a sound argument as why we should stay together. I'm such a slave to sense. The whole, "on the gripping hand" thing begins...

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
When an INTP is dumped? This could be somewhat bad, if the INTP does not really understand why the dumping occurred..

Without a doubt. In fact, this can go on for years, depending on what stage of development it occurred in. *sigh*

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I've had girlfriends that I've broken up with. I have had no problem with them. But there is one girl who broke up with me. Her, I've had problems with. We broke up 3 years ago now but I still feel strange whenever I see her. That relationship was also the only one I've had that I would consider a truly fulfilling relationship and I have nothing but good memories from it. So maybe I'm just seeking another relationship just like that one and because it's the only experience I've had I find myself yearning for her again when it doesn't necessarily have to be her that gives me what I want. I'm not sure though.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
So maybe I'm just seeking another relationship just like that one and because it's the only experience I've had I find myself yearning for her again when it doesn't necessarily have to be her that gives me what I want. I'm not sure though.

I don't know how it works for others, but I do find myself attracted to connections, and types [not in the typology sense of the word] of people rather than individuals. I think you might be describing the same thing here. She is the only existence of the connection you desire, so you keep going back to it in your mind, but if you found someone else that gave you that, I'm sure you could get over it quickly.

Took me forever to discover there was another kind of connection than the one I had. At least you know what to look for.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I don't know how it works for others, but I do find myself attracted to connections, and types [not in the typology sense of the word] of people rather than individuals. I think you might be describing the same thing here. She is the only existence of the connection you desire, so you keep going back to it in your mind, but if you found someone else that gave you that, I'm sure you could get over it quickly.

Took me forever to discover there was another kind of connection than the one I had. At least you know what to look for.

This. Especially the last part of the first paragraph.

dovet

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Help!

As I understand the INTP, once it's over, it's over. Please consider this and help me figure out what to do and what not to do:

My bf (INTP) broke up with me out of the blue. In the process, I asked him "do you really want to do this?" He replied that he didn't want to but felt like he had to and cried a lot.

A week later, he agreed to meet with me to logically go through the "problems" we had (we didn't really have problems), and come to a mutual agreement about what to do. It was decided that we would take a temporary break. A few months. He absolutely promised that we'd meet up and we set a date, time and location, and he also said "people get back together all the time." He also requested that I not tell anyone, in case we get back together, it not be complicated. We also remained friends and "in a relationship" on facebook (though it has been hidden from everyone, and after, he didn't trust that, so he did end up changing it to "single"). We set expectations for the time of no-talking, which included no contact, that we both could/should date (but if we get back together, we will never discuss our time apart), and (my expectation of him) that he would BE OPEN-MINDED to the possibility, especially after such a long discussion of the non-dealbreakers in our relationship.

What am I to think now? It hasn't been much time (3 weeks) and I'm going mad - that's the scientist and ENFJ in me. I can't help but fear that he's already forgotten all about me, and, thus, isn't being open-minded. I also can't help but fear that if he IS still thinking of me, he's intentionally squashing all of his feelings and focusing on "bad" things so as to get over me. Do you suppose this is accurate? Dare I write him an email reminder? Advice?

PS - I HIGHLY doubt he will date anyone new. He fits the mold of a "recluse". And I love him!

F

figsfiggyfigs

tl;dr

He's definitely forgotten about you, esp after Skyrim came out.

I'd give up anyways, he probably looks like this now.
southparkwow.jpg