Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Scattered INTJs...

Are any other INTJs here scatter-brained? Do you have random thoughts in your head that race so fast that you have trouble expressing them clearly? Do you sometimes use the wrong words in a statement because your mind thought a word meant something other than what it really means? I try to choose my words as carefully as possible but when I have thoughts just racing through my head, I can't stop to look at a dictionary because then I lose my train of thought. And this is tough enough to keep when I always have a compulsion to correct my spelling and punctuation errors as they happen.

I also have a habit of changing my words after I'm done writing something and it will sometimes contradict with what I said before. Perhaps because maybe I can understand multiple ends, particularly if my opinions on things are not that strong, or maybe I just came up with another viewpoint that contradicts with the one I said.

MBTI
    INFJ

I ain't no INTJ, but I found myself nodding in agreement almost throughout your post

My mind is constantly racing. That's the reason why I speak so fast, for example. People are always telling me to slow down, but I can't, because if I did, I would literally lose my train of thought !

And making up both sides of a discussion (or more, because having just two sides to any discussion is boring, really, ) is something I do so easily I could almost do it in my sleep. I constantly have those debates in my head, with different "voices" defending different positions, and I push and I push and I push, to see just how far each position can be taken, whether one or more will eventually fall apart, or whether maybe they can all be reconciled. (People are usually not privy to those debates, though: when I speak, I usually present only one position at a time.)

The one part of your post I really don't relate to is the "checking words" one. I'm almost obsessive about making sure I'm using the exact right word to describe what I mean, and few things shame me as much as being told that I used the wrong word to say something. On internet boards in particular, I tend to check the meaning of any word I'm not 100% sure of - though my intellectual ego gets in the way sometimes and I just assume that I know exactly what a word means But yeah, quite often when I'm posting on internet forums, there is a "dictionary.com" tab open somewhere But I only consult it during the "edit" phase of my posting, ie *after* I've written out my post - first get the ideas down, then check the vocabulary, consistency and whatnot :rolli:

MBTI
    INTJ

Are any other INTJs here scatter-brained?
    Yes. I often feel scatterbrained.

Do you have random thoughts in your head that race so fast that you have trouble expressing them clearly?
    Yes, though I have seen other people who are worse than me.

Do you sometimes use the wrong words in a statement because your mind thought a word meant something other than what it really means?
    Yes, more often when I'm stressed.

I try to choose my words as carefully as possible but when I have thoughts just racing through my head, I can't stop to look at a dictionary because then I lose my train of thought. And this is tough enough to keep when I always have a compulsion to correct my spelling and punctuation errors as they happen.
    I try to write what I'm thinking till the train slows down, then I go to the thesaurus in Word, and figure out the alternate word I wanted. I have learned that if I don't get the whole thought down, I might forget it and not be able to remember it again.

I also have a habit of changing my words after I'm done writing something and it will sometimes contradict with what I said before. Perhaps because maybe I can understand multiple ends, particularly if my opinions on things are not that strong, or maybe I just came up with another viewpoint that contradicts with the one I said.
    I have been known to change my mind. I don't recall contradicting myself. Maybe I do it but don't think of it as contradicting.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I believe it's a typical trait for INXJs... spend too much time in our heads, not pay enough attention to our surroundings. Making connections between concepts and ideas so quickly that they barely register as being there before being replaced with another. It's no surprise that we're scattered minded.

It happens to me far too often. Distracted for a second and couldn't for the life of me remember where I last left off.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I believe it's a typical trait for INXJs... spend too much time in our heads, not pay enough attention to our surroundings.
    "Too much", "not enough"... Says who ?

Distracted for a second and couldn't for the life of me remember where I last left off.
    Which reminds me: am I the only one who does the "reverse thinking" stuff? Like there is this idea I want to examine, but before I know it, I've jumped through half a dozen intuitive leaps, and I can't remember where I started off, but I really want to, so I start from the final thought, and I try to remember how I got there, and so on till I finally remember the initial idea I wanted to examine? (That's assuming I don't go off on another tangent somewhere along the way, of course, in which case I just have to trust that my mind will remember that initial idea I wanted to examine, some time later :rolli: )

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Are any other INTJs here scatter-brained? Do you have random thoughts in your head that race so fast that you have trouble expressing them clearly? Do you sometimes use the wrong words in a statement because your mind thought a word meant something other than what it really means? I try to choose my words as carefully as possible but when I have thoughts just racing through my head, I can't stop to look at a dictionary because then I lose my train of thought. And this is tough enough to keep when I always have a compulsion to correct my spelling and punctuation errors as they happen.

Not sure about random thoughts. Things do pop into my head, but I can trace them to something I have been thinking about in past etc.

To me, random thoughts would be the P thing. With low T.

My observation of the world is like looking through the view finder on a tank. Everything is cool calm and collected, I'm just waiting to smoke something that gets in my sights. Even when I'm completely drunk... I'm still very focused and retained in my mind... perhaps it feels like I stepped a bit further into my mind though.

Dunno, by I rarely change my mind or viewpoint on an arguement. If you think and think over your whole lifetime (and constantly learn) you have a lot to bring to bear on the target.

The self doubt in arguements etc is supposedly more of a P thing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    Not sure about random thoughts. Things do pop into my head, but I can trace them to something I have been thinking about in past etc.

To me, random thoughts would be the P thing. With low T.

My observation of the world is like looking through the view finder on a tank. Everything is cool calm and collected, I'm just waiting to smoke something that gets in my sights. Even when I'm completely drunk... I'm still very focused and retained in my mind... perhaps it feels like I stepped a bit further into my mind though.

Dunno, by I rarely change my mind or viewpoint on an arguement. If you think and think over your whole lifetime (and constantly learn) you have a lot to bring to bear on the target.

Well, I don't know if my thoughts are random, because I can normally pinpoint what inspired the thought, too, but my way of expressing it is highly random. Or sometimes I'll obsess about an idea, but somehow, I find it difficult to get it in the open in a coherent manner that will make perfect sense to others. The idea is racing through my head, but when I try to get it out, I often can't concentrate on the thought and the expression of it at the same time.

Internally, I'm disorganized and random, but externally, I'm the kind of person that has a hard time trying to justify my thoughts to other people. Truthfully, I wish that I could just say "Because I said so" when I express an opinion or an idea to which everyone else asks "Why?"

Fanciful thoughts, though they may be, my ideas are make sense in my mind, but they're hard for others to make sense out of them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post

Confident self-doubt is one of the most valuable intellectual traits one can hope to experience.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Are any other INTJs here scatter-brained?

I don't see myself that way but others do... it tends to confuse them too. But, I guess I am since I often find myself in a room wondering what I'm there for... I just call it "forgetful."

Do you have random thoughts in your head that race so fast that you have trouble expressing them clearly?

Yes, especially when writing... not my forte. I'll be writing something.. maybe a post here... and something I say makes my mind go off on a tangent and I have to find my way back to the subject at hand.

Do you sometimes use the wrong words in a statement because your mind thought a word meant something other than what it really means?

Not often but sometimes and when it happens I usually find the correct meaning curious. Language is so arbitrary. I mean get one little symbol wrong and.... rose (beautiful) sore (ouch) eros (well )

I try to choose my words as carefully as possible but when I have thoughts just racing through my head, I can't stop to look at a dictionary because then I lose my train of thought.

Me too.

And this is tough enough to keep when I always have a compulsion to correct my spelling and punctuation errors as they happen.

Yeh... one little comma changed can change the whole meaning.

I also have a habit of changing my words after I'm done writing something and it will sometimes contradict with what I said before. Perhaps because maybe I can understand multiple ends,

I just went through that on, what for me is, a long post.

[/COLOR="Blue"]particularly if my opinions on things are not that strong, or maybe I just came up with another viewpoint that contradicts with the one I said.[/COLOR]

Even when mine are strong, it happens. I'm seeing a different angle or perspective as I write... having a wow! moment... sometimes I'm just learning as I write experiencing a revelation or inspiration. I think its because of the way I think. I've never been able to explain it. Some people think I'm psychic but I know I've been accumulating bits of info here and there and then, one day, they congeal and I come out with a prediction... (which happens of course) I know its based in fact but no one else can ever see it because I can't give them all that's gone into it.

All in all, I hate writing... I'm better with a brush

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I'm seeing a different angle or perspective as I write... having a wow! moment... sometimes I'm just learning as I write experiencing a revelation or inspiration. I think its because of the way I think. I've never been able to explain it. Some people think I'm psychic but I know I've been accumulating bits of info here and there and then, one day, they congeal and I come out with a prediction... (which happens of course) I know its based in fact but no one else can ever see it because I can't give them all that's gone into it.
    Sounds very much like Ni