User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The other thing too, for NTP's I think, is that if everything is all planned out, then it takes creativity out of the equation. It just becomes about following a list. About 3 days of that and I start to feel like a drone or a robot. I get off on reacting to things "on the fly", having to improvise. I make my best decisions when I have to react to something RIGHT NOW - not 4 days ahead of time.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Myself.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    As for the "one day at a time" maxim, the best way I can explain it (not sure if other NTP's relate), is that I like to see what the world brings my way rather than FORGING and forcing things to go my way. There are so many freakin' variables in life, that "planning stuff out" almost seems futile at times. Like, I have a J friend who plans his entire week. What he's going to wear, everything. On Sunday, he knows exactly what he'll be doing next Thursday. I can't live like that. I want to see all the variables of Thursday take shape first, and then I can decide on Thursday morning what I will be doing Thursday. It could rain Thursday, I might not feel well on Thursday, my grandpa might have to go back in the hospital on Thursday, I might have to work overtime on Thursday, I might feel like going to the gym Thursday (or maybe I'll just feel like relaxing instead).

Point is, I won't know any of these things until Thursday. And to think about all of the contingencies and how I'll react in each of the different scenarios - it might be mentally stimulating (like a puzzle of sorts) - but I'd rather just chill out and not think about it - until Thursday. Cuz I know that once Thursday rolls around, I'll have complete information, so I'll be able to make better decisions - decisions based on the context of that specific day and what is currently going on around me. Then I'm not stressed out when all my plans get ruined or sidetracked because all the variables changed. Just chill out and then decide that day what the best course of action is. For me it's just so much easier and simple that way. More time for other mental puzzles.

I'm not saying one way is right and the other is wrong. Just saying the way I think about it - P style. I think J's tend to get more stuff done in their lifetime, but I think P's tend to enjoy life a little more and to have more relaxation/leisure time. Obviously a good "balance" is the best way to go - but surely, your average J and your average P will disagree on where that balance is. Even a "balanced J" would probably seem anal and workaholic to an average P. And an balanced P would probably still seem laid back and passive to an average J.
    The opposite of what you just said is true for me.

Your friend's obsession with planning is identical to mine.

It just comes to show the difference between Ps and Js.

Ps are more relaxed and know how to enjoy life to the fullest, (most) Js shiver in freight at the though of not having an agenda.

I've got every minute of next week planned out perfectly. Every item of last week's agenda was executed perfectly, no interruptions.
    got chaos?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post
    The opposite of what you just said is true for me.

Your friend's obsession with planning is identical to mine.

It just comes to show the difference between Ps and Js.

Ps are more relaxed and know how to enjoy life to the fullest, (most) Js shiver in freight at the though of not having an agenda.

I've got every minute of next week planned out perfectly. Every item of last week's agenda was executed perfectly, no interruptions.
    I admire that ability in NTJ's. I really do. But, when you're executing your agenda perfectly, do you ever think, "Damn, this is boring"?

Or, to take it another direction, when you wake up on Friday morning with your pink shirt/grey slacks laid out and ironed, do you ever get a "wild hair" and go, "You know what? I don't feel like going with my plan today! I just feel like being a rebel and wearing a yellow shirt today"?

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ENTJ

I admire that ability in NTJ's. I really do. But, when you're executing your agenda perfectly, do you ever think, "Damn, this is boring"?

Or, to take it another direction, when you wake up on Friday morning with your pink shirt/grey slacks laid out and ironed, do you ever get a "wild hair" and go, "You know what? I don't feel like going with my plan today! I just feel like being a rebel and wearing a yellow shirt today"?
    Yes, I do get those wild hairs sometimes. Clothing is not a priority, so I'm not overly concerned about what I wear as long as I look spiffy and neat.

And yes, I plan for the breach my planning obsession - It's called vacation.

June 18 I'm going for a two day stayover in Reykjavik, Iceland and off for some fun to my cousins apartment in Nijmegen for a week.

My calendar reads: "Do whatever the fuck you want in this one week timeframe"

June 25 I'm flying back home, and thereafter every minute of my time is dictated by my agenda.

Some weekends are an exception, of course.
    got chaos?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post
    Yes, I do get those wild hairs sometimes. Clothing is not a priority, so I'm not overly concerned about what I wear as long as I look spiffy and neat.
    Yeah, I hear you - was just using clothing as a very simple example of J vs. P.

And yes, I plan for the breach my planning obsession - It's called vacation.

June 18 I'm going for a two day stayover in Reykjavik, Iceland and off for some fun to my cousins apartment in Nijmegen for a week.

My calendar reads: "Do whatever the fuck you want in this one week timeframe"
    That's what my calendar says every week of the year. No, seriously though, sounds like a fun trip! Have fun.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

I prefer just living for myself, not depending on people or things and just learning about things inside and outside of school. I guess at this point my life is about school, even though I struggle with deadlines and really dislike the structure, my parents have invested a lot on me and I can't let them down. It wouldn't bother me now, but I know it will later on. I want material comfort, not wealth, and I enjoy the search for intellectual stimulation in others. School forces me to schedule my life, and right now my day-to-day existence is based on my grades and keeping up. University has little to do with intellect, it has a lot to do with planning, and I am a shitty planner. All that school crap aside, at this very moment I live for the few people close to me and stuffy loud lecture halls.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

We do that. We just have to plan for it. I know that makes no sense but in general I think the J's say exactly that in their heads but it goes on the calendar or in their phone or whatever. It's never boring because the alternative is basically unthinkable to terrifying.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Knowledge, useful and trivial.

Altering perceptions, both for myself and others for the sake of understanding and acceptance.

Relationships. When you can connect intellectually and emotionally, and feel a little less alone.

Self improvement. I am on a constant quest of maximizing my human potential.