• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How to argue like an NT

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
How the NTs argue, the real version:

INTPs: Use calm headed pure logic in your back-and-forths and pretend to take what the other person is saying into consideration, until they inevitably come to agree with you. They just won't let you know they've changed their minds on the spot.

if that doesent work, try to confuse them with things that dont really address to question in hand, but are so logical that they can see that these things you now say makes sense, but feel that they are just too stupid to realize what it has to do with this

INTJs: Use not-thought-through-enough logic based on your own rushed conclusions and biases about life and don't even pretend to take what the other person is saying into consideration.

and repeat

ENTPs
: Toss out whatever you can come up with, coherent or not, and see what sticks, until the other person walks away from you.

and if they wont walk away, try to hit them with Fe on their weak point just to hurt them so much that they dont want to talk to you anymore, if they still wont shut up threaten with violence

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Your post oozes with seething anger and hate.

That's called projection.. I was being rather playful when I posted.
Maybe the truth hurts you and in return the hurt causes you to seethe with hatred and anger at yourself??.
Those are your words, not mine..

I feel quite chipper today .. :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Since argumentation has standards which everyone must follow, making it such that perfect arguments could come from the mouths of any type, the real question of this thread, then, is "how do NTs go wrong in argument?"

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ti:

Truth.

Te:

I win.

Jaguar

Too many ENTPs have admitted they'll do anything to win a debate. So much for seeking the "truth" . . .

rav3n

Ti is more like a rapier and Te, more like a sabre, although in both, only the health of the underlying databases and the accuracy of the data sourced externally will define which is the more positive "thinking" function.

Arrogance knows no function boundaries.

F

figsfiggyfigs

INTPs: Use calm headed pure logic in your back-and-forths and pretend to take what the other person is saying into consideration, until they inevitably come to agree with you. They just won't let you know they've changed their minds on the spot.

INTJs: Use not-thought-through-enough logic based on your own rushed conclusions and biases about life and don't even pretend to take what the other person is saying into consideration.

ENTJs
: Just be a ass BOSSSSSS!!!!

ENTPs
: Toss out whatever you can come up with, coherent or not, and see what sticks, until the other person walks away from you.Just be an ass

Fixed :D

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Dale Carnegie told me that arguing is bad. We should prove him wrong.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP arguing:

Why would you believe that??? IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

--

Why do people believe in things that don't make any sense anyway?! I don't understand. It's like believing that cats lay eggs. A smaller nonsense is kind of the same as a big nonsense.

If you go to someone and say..
Hey have you heard the new shit? Cats started laying eggs today at 3PM.
The person who's listening will probably think you're crazy.

But for instance if you say.
The weather is directed by God....you might actually get away with that. You'll find someone who'll say...oh man...god throws tornadoes to punish people for their sins. (somebody actually said that, and we argued for like ...an hour until I refused to talk )

xisnotx

Permabanned
In my experience

intp: Damn it, he might be right. Run.
intj: Damn it, I'm right.
entj: Damn it, just believe me. Who cares if I'm right?
entp: Damn it, I'm wrong. But who cares?

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao

ENTJs
: Just be an ass.

ENTPs
: Toss out whatever you can come up with, coherent or not, and see what sticks, until the other person walks away from you.

I like what you did here. INTPs come out looking prettty good! Nice work Mr. INTP. ;)

ENTP arguing:

Why would you believe that??? IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

It is ridiculous how many times a day I want to shout this at people. :laugh: But I just have to tell myself that most people find my train of thought bizarre and not easily understood so I should probably cut them some slack.

xisnotx

Permabanned
It is ridiculous how many times a day I want to shout this at people. But I just have to tell myself that most people find my train of thought bizarre and not easily understood so I should probably cut them some slack.

Ha yup. I definitely go through stages of where in my head I'm like "stop thinking stupidly people". I just have to remind myself that other people "think" (or rather, exist) in totally different ways.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Dale Carnegie told me that arguing is bad. We should prove him wrong.

We could put a probe in the part of the brain that controls orgasms and just press it every time he argues. Eventually he'd loooove it!

Except he's dead. So we could do it theoretically and enjoy the thought of it.

sciguy90

That's called projection.. I was being rather playful when I posted.
Maybe the truth hurts you and in return the hurt causes you to seethe with hatred and anger at yourself??.
Those are your words, not mine..

I feel quite chipper today .. :)

You assume I also wasn't being playful.

Use your hate, and strike me down.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JyoK8RVPE"][/YOUTUBE]

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Use your hate, and strike me down.

yeessssss...... that's it......
(there can only be two of us)

Also, better to do this at the beginning of a discussion than after a few hours: "oh, well when I said x (3 hours ago!), I meant <insert bizarre unorthodox definition>, I thought that was a given"

No no, actually, that's PERFECT to do it after three hours.
(as long as you are standing behind a bulletproof sheet of plexiglass)

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Q: Why didn't the INTP want to go on vacation?
A: He's already tired out from too many definitional retreats!

(taken from the hypothetical world's nerdiest children's menu)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
How NTs argue, the athenian200 version:

INTP: Your principles are not logically consistent with themselves. Just because both of those things seem desirable, doesn't mean they're not mutually exclusive. What do I suggest then? Well, I don't know, you could do X, Y, or Z... maybe? I believe that this might work. No, no I'm not sure. You can never be sure. What, you say I haven't made an argument, I've just thrown out possibilities? Well, I'm probably better at tearing down arguments than making them. Solutions aren't that interesting to me, they're so limiting and arbitrary to one specific context.

INTJ: If our goal is X, then the best way to there is Y. What, how will Y impact Z factor? That's irrelevant, unless your goal is A. Is your goal A or X? What, you say that you want X AND some of A? Why didn't you say so in the first place? That's not what you asked me. The most efficient way to get there is still Y, but without doing G... unless you still haven't decided on your goals adequately! Can't you just tell me what you're really trying to achieve here?!

ENTP: I think we could do X, and it would be good because it might do A, B, and C. How should we do X? I don't know, we'll just figure out as we go along, but there's always D, E, F ways of doing it. Which one? Man, you are cramping my style! I won't know which one is best until I get started. What, you say my idea isn't logical or practical? Psych! I knew that, I was just messing with you. :wink:

ENTJ: Our goal is X, so the best way to get there is Y. Why? Well, why not? It's a worthwhile goal, and my plan will work, so let's do it! What, you say there's another goal we could pursue? That's nice, but I've already decided on this goal. I'll take that other idea of yours under consideration later, because it's not relevant to what I want to achieve right now. What? Y won't work because of factor Z? Then we'll do Y without doing G, which takes care of factor Z, but we're still doing Y.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Too many ENTPs have admitted they'll do anything to win a debate. So much for seeking the "truth" . . .

Try INTP's.