User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 143

  1. #11
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    How to argue like an INTP:

    Let us define "God" as "that which exists". Therefore, God exists.
    The subject of God is far too superficial.
    A true 'intellectual' must engage in the analysis of a phrase in the English language which holds far greater meaning than God, and certainly greater depth.

    That phrase is: Just my opinion.

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...y-opinion.html

  2. #12
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I would like to taunt you.. but I like the list.

    *flexes*
    .
    Don't be a sad condom.

  3. #13
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sciguy90 View Post
    Your post oozes with seething anger and hate.
    Well, anger leads to hate.

    Hate leads to another thing.

    Also: RE: Let us define God as "that which exists" isn't that far off from a very simplified version of the "Necessary Being" argument.

    That said, I don't believe in God, and from what I've seen you'd find more INTPs defining God as that which does not exist.

  4. #14
    Dependable Skeleton Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    How to argue like an INTJ:

    (Insert multi-page histrionics peppered with similes and co-opted aphorisms). Therefore, whatever point it was I was trying to make. I'm pretty sure I had one.
    Removing the histrionics part, that's pretty much how I argue. Plus I project so much confidence in my conclusions that I usually intimidate the person I'm arguing with into believing me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

  5. #15
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    (Refute an example.) Therefore, there is at least one semantic quibble that can be construed as an exception to something you only mentioned tangentially, rendering every element of your argument false. (Flash a toothy grin. Yeah. This high school debate is all you. Mental high fives.)

    This is the tactic of several INTJ's on this board...

  6. #16
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Removing the histrionics part, that's pretty much how I argue. Plus I project so much confidence in my conclusions that I usually intimidate the person I'm arguing with into believing me.
    Hope you also don't do the below quoted. Most INTJs remain or will corral everyone else back to the point. Te doing its thing. Losing track of the point should be attributed to Ne users and short-term memory loss.
    Therefore, whatever point it was I was trying to make. I'm pretty sure I had one.

  7. #17
    Dependable Skeleton Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Hope you also don't do the below quoted. Most INTJs remain or will corral everyone else back to the point. Te doing its thing. Losing track of the point should be attributed to Ne users and short-term memory loss.
    Oh I definitely do not. That's one thing that annoys me about most of my arguments: I'll be winning on one front, then my opponent will introduce a non-sequitur point and start to argue about that. So of course, I'll have to hammer in the fact that it's tangential, and does not apply to the previous topic of discussion. Why can't people admit when they've lost?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

  8. #18
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    How to argue like an INTP:
    Let us define "God" as "that which exists". Therefore, God exists.
    Define "exists."

    Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    That said, I don't believe in God, and from what I've seen you'd find more INTPs defining God as that which does not exist.
    That is why I am dissatisfied with it.
    It's entirely an arbitrary statement.

    At core, the argument would have no meaning whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    (Refute an example.) Therefore, there is at least one semantic quibble that can be construed as an exception to something you only mentioned tangentially, rendering every element of your argument false. (Flash a toothy grin. Yeah. This high school debate is all you. Mental high fives.) This is the tactic of several INTJ's on this board...
    UGH, that strategy about gives me an aneurysm.

    If you want to see an INTP move right past cerebral strategies to option for the more viscerally pleasing ESTP "chop someone to death with a really big axe" strategy, that is the one to pick.

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    no
    Wait, isn't that the beginning of the infamous ISFJ defense against cold NT rationality? "No, I can't BELIEVE you would even suggest such a thing, considering it would expose you as a depraved cretin with no social decency whatsoever."

    (Although sometimes no words are actually uttered; there is just the slight widening of one eye as the other squints, and the mouth twists in what could suggest a hint of moral horror and disgusted surprise, as if one had suggested that pureed babies would make a fine creamy paste to spread on expensive sesame-seed crackers.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #19
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That is why I am dissatisfied with it.
    It's entirely an arbitrary statement.

    At core, the argument would have no meaning whatsoever.
    Ah, but that is precisely the beauty of it. It's neat in that it is a closed system. You expect it to be useful on top of that?

    Also, better to do this at the beginning of a discussion than after a few hours: "oh, well when I said x (3 hours ago!), I meant <insert bizarre unorthodox definition>, I thought that was a given"
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  10. #20
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    How the NTs argue, the real version:

    INTPs: Use calm headed pure logic in your back-and-forths and pretend to take what the other person is saying into consideration, until they inevitably come to agree with you. They just won't let you know they've changed their minds on the spot.

    INTJs: Use not-thought-through-enough logic based on your own rushed conclusions and biases about life and don't even pretend to take what the other person is saying into consideration.

    ENTJs
    : Just be an ass.

    ENTPs
    : Toss out whatever you can come up with, coherent or not, and see what sticks, until the other person walks away from you.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] How do I become more like an NT?
    By I Never Find Peace in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 03:47 PM
  2. [ISFJ] How to tell if an ISFJ likes you
    By DJAchtundvierzig in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
  3. [E8] How to argue with an 8w7
    By yenom in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 04:14 PM
  4. [NT] How to mess with an NT's head
    By Amargith in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 256
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 11:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO