User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I think sadism is more about power than about pain in itself, they still get the dominance and the behavior of inflincting pain and it is part of a set of emotionaly tied associations expressed as a sexual behavior.
    Yeah I see what you mean. The other person may not receive the pain as such, but simply the act of doing something that would normally inflict pain (and the domination involved) elicits the same sexual arousal response in the sadist as if they were truly inflicting pain. After all, sex seems to be all about the mental mindset, not necessarily the reality.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Yeah I see what you mean. The other person may not receive the pain as such, but simply the act of doing something that would normally inflict pain (and the domination involved) elicits the same sexual arousal response in the sadist as if they were truly inflicting pain. After all, sex seems to be all about the mental mindset, not necessarily the reality.
    The way i see it reality is not about reality.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I guess that the human capacity for empathy might come into play too (not necessary though). The fact that pain is pleasure for the other party might be part of the experience\pleasure for the sadist.
    The SM relationship is already a case of people association pain and pleasure, wether actively (sadism) or passively (masochism)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

I guess that the human capacity for empathy might come into play too (not necessary though). The fact that pain is pleasure for the other party might be part of the experience\pleasure for the sadist.
    The SM relationship is already a case of people association pain and pleasure, wether actively (sadism) or passively (masochism)
    So would a sadist who gets pleasure from inflicting pain on a masochist be a different sadist from the sadist who gets pleasure from inflicting pain on someone who doesn't derive pleasure from it? Like the "empathetic sadist" vs. the "sociopathic sadist?" The former would be more int he S&M category and the latter in the, well, sociopath category.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

So would a sadist who gets pleasure from inflicting pain on a masochist be a different sadist from the sadist who gets pleasure from inflicting pain on someone who doesn't derive pleasure from it? Like the "empathetic sadist" vs. the "sociopathic sadist?" The former would be more int he S&M category and the latter in the, well, sociopath category.
    That's actually EXACTLY what I thought.

... In theory.

The way i see it reality is not about reality.
    Ha, yes, speaking of vague subjects. Reality (and it's nature) is one of the biggest ones for me.

That's actually EXACTLY what I thought.
    It totally makes sense.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

It totally makes sense.
    Does
    That and the bit about great minds

Ha, yes, speaking of vague subjects. Reality (and it's nature) is one of the biggest ones for me.
    One possible first step would be to identify the filters, so say, the sort of perception evolution and macro/human scale experience for a being living in our biosphere would wetwire. For example the way in which we define objects and properties when they're all part of the same system, apparently subjected to the same 'rules' and interconnected.
    There's no evolutionary advantage in seeing individual atoms for example, or percieving matter as 'mostly made of void' when if you try to get into a wall the complexity of the systems renders tunneling so unlikely as to be irrelevant in terms of reproductive and survival value. (survival is secondary, it just 'helps' to make it more likely to reproduce, which is the real selector)
    Also the complexity of life would make it difficult for us to see stuff like that, since our "atoms" are orders of magnitude bigger than actual atoms and all their little friends.

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

And the whole theme of 'we can't see what we can't see if we don't have the tools to see that blind spot'
    The brain creates a 'whole' with the data it has.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo"]attention test[/YOUTUBE]

What it means is that things are 'edited out'.
    For example there's a dark spot in your sight because of the visual nerve, yet you don't percieve a dark spot in the middle of our sight. We wouldn't really 'notice' that our peripheral vision is way blurier than our foveal vision either.

... In theory.

MBTI
    SEXY

Too vague! Vagueness alert *sounds sirens*

My first inclination is to say he means exactly what he says. But to go further, it could mean that something recently has tested that idea within him (that family and friends come first) and he keeps throwing it out there to see if it it's still a pertinent part of the social structure he's constructed in his mind. I know if I'm uncertain of something I will throw it into the mix of things and see how it stands up.

But give us more information and we might be able to help you more.
    This was my first thought as well.
    (removed)