• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and Big Crowds/Concerts

intpgirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Suppose.. an INTP person would like to go to a concert for the first time seeing their favourite band/artist.

But somehow, a small phobia, like social anxiety, or just not feeling like being among a large group of people, and being in a crowded place is stopping this person.

:shock: What shall this person do?

:huh: Is there any way around this?

Would being in a big crowd trying to enjoy a show be somewhat, uncomfortable for this person?

Do any of you have similar problems like this?

I myself would like to go to a concert show sometime, :cry: but I'm afraid I won't enjoy it as other people?

Would I be afraid of hearing tons of people cheering and just making noise?

:huh: I'm not sure if this is how it is for INTPs. Having a big meeting to look forward to, but feeling SO queasy about it and being felt all left out of the enjoyment.

I really don't know what to think of this.

I also don't want to make excuses anymore like thinking of going to a place with lots of people, then in the last minute plans, I'm just ~lazy, I don't have the time, I'd rather spend my money on other things.. I'd rather be having alone time..

:huh: So I don't know what to think. If I really want to go to a venue, should I just go for it? Stop thinking to introvertly? :cry: I'm getting tired of it.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always avoided concerts myself. I have the same hang-ups.
Besides, most musicians play better in the studio than they do live.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I detest crowds.

When unavoidable, I contingency plan in case of catastrophic emergency and/or wanton groping.

My internal barometer tends to flare a mixture of suffocation and social claustrophobia.

Avoid at all costs.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You strange people :smile: However I respect that everyone is different ;)
I sometimes work as a roadie for a couple of bands I know, so i'm very much the opposite :D

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it's easier if you take someone with you? A friend. I'm always braver when I have a cohort for my adventures. I don't really mind being in non-intrusive crowds. As long as I'm not in the spotlight/ in an awkward position. And it can be quite welcoming to be in the anonymous masses.

What's the worst that can happen, right? You'll decide you don't care for concerts and you can enjoy music/socializing under other circumstances and you won't have to wonder any longer. The best- you PAR-TAY!

You could also choose a performance at a smaller venue? Fewer people, less pressure.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Getting drunk and bringing people works :D

sandwich

MBTI Type
INTP
There is power in the anonymity a crowd provides. Concerts are worth trying, but don't go out of your way for them.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
There is power in the anonymity a crowd provides.
Yeah, I'd agree with this. I always enjoyed concerts. I'd like to look at what people would wear. Generally other concert T-shirts and see who had the coolest or rarest one. This was back in the 80's when people like made an effort.

What's the venue type? You might be better off in reserved seats. It's easy to get pushed around in gen adm standing areas but really most people kinda mind their own business until the show starts.

The cheering and yelling never bothered me. I hate when people start jumping around and bump into me. Smoke and pot smoke would be pretty strong. i'd always get some ass lighting up and no matter where I'd stand or move the smoke would zone in on my eyes. I remember wanting to wear my T-shirt to school the next morning and the thing reeking to high heaven.

One thing I'd recommend would be those little foam ear plugs. One thing I'd hate would be trying to get to sleep and having that stupid ringing "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in my head all night. I'd take the plugs out when they'd play a song I really liked but really, you can hear fine with them in. The shows can get pretty loud and if you're standing by the amps, forget it. I didn't start wearing them until I was in college and worked at some venues. Then I would be at a concert at least a couple of times a week and really didn't want long term ringing though I can't say I was actively worried about it.

There's always so much to process. If you have great seats you can check out all sorts of things going on on stage and just search for detail. Stuff like set lists taped to the floor, water bottles, people preparing guitars to be switched in between songs.

I've gone to shows w/people and alone. It only sux to go w/a large group when you have to follow their lead. Like say people want to get stoned in the parking lot during the warm up act and you'd rather check it out. Fine if you're there at the arena and can go in but sux if they'd rather do it at a Burger King parking lot 3 mi away so the cops won't see.

Try to park with a straight shot to the exit and back into your space if possible. Getting out can be the real pain, especially w/people who are a little buzzed and amped up. Overall, I wouldn't let anything scare you. It's cool to see your favorite group sing your favorite tunes. Of course, you may have that obscure song on the album you love that they may not play and it'll really piss you off but when they do - sheer bliss.:nice:

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
My motto is: Anywhere that there's other people cannot be fun.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
Suppose.. an INTP person would like to go to a concert for the first time seeing their favourite band/artist.

But somehow, a small phobia, like social anxiety, or just not feeling like being among a large group of people, and being in a crowded place is stopping this person.

:shock: What shall this person do?

:huh: Is there any way around this?

Would being in a big crowd trying to enjoy a show be somewhat, uncomfortable for this person?

Do any of you have similar problems like this?

I myself would like to go to a concert show sometime, :cry: but I'm afraid I won't enjoy it as other people?

Would I be afraid of hearing tons of people cheering and just making noise?

:huh: I'm not sure if this is how it is for INTPs. Having a big meeting to look forward to, but feeling SO queasy about it and being felt all left out of the enjoyment.

I really don't know what to think of this.

I also don't want to make excuses anymore like thinking of going to a place with lots of people, then in the last minute plans, I'm just ~lazy, I don't have the time, I'd rather spend my money on other things.. I'd rather be having alone time..

:huh: So I don't know what to think. If I really want to go to a venue, should I just go for it? Stop thinking to introvertly? :cry: I'm getting tired of it.

When I was in high school, I loved going to concerts.

I loved general admission (generally punk rock), probably been to 20-30 of these concerts all over southern California. General admission really brings out the true nature of anonymity.

This has already been said, but the anonymity is very powerful. Nobody knows who you are, nobody cares. If you think somebody cares, you're wrong. There is so much power in this.

Everyone is so closely squashed together, you and everyone else will get pushed, shoved, stepped on, elbowed, etc. This is so common that nobody even begins to take it personally if you bump, hit, shove another person. Actually, it's just the opposite. Many times, people around you offer helping hands if you fall down.

I really love the pit, for nothing more than the pure anonymity. I can yell, push, shove, do the creepiest, weirdest dance and nobody gives a shit. They are doing the same thing. Once you realize this, it becomes powerful, and that's how many people use it to have a good time. General admission concerts are by no means a fashion show, many use it as a way to release emotion and show true self expression.

I'm not sure if this is any help, but I'm trying to show how I used the anonymity for confidence within the concert. There is pretty much nothing you can do to get people around you mad aside from slugging them in the face. You can yell, scream, push (in the pit), whatever... you aren't affecting their experience in the slightest. You have no power, and thats where confidence can be built to have fun your own way... even if it's standing listening to the band.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I love concerts, but hate crowds. Sure, it's annoying to be in a huge group of people you don't know, most of whom are drunk extraverted Ss. Just make sure for your first concert that a) it's a band that you're really, really into, and b) that you bring a cool, trusted friend with you. Preferably another introvert, b/c it's annoying to go to concerts with extraverts that are going to try to "get you out of your shell."

I will tell you that asking the drunk dudes behind you to stop whatever annoying thing they're doing will result in them doing it more/louder for the rest of the concert. :)

Go, and have fun! :nice:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6

Hm, I really hate to go to concerts, but when I go eventually I almost always find myself emotionally overwhelmed by the strong feeling of belonging to a crowd. Call it a catharsis.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not an INTP, but I've never gone to a concert in my life. I don't think I could handle all the noise. Plus, I'm not really a die-hard fan of loud music...I mostly like it to fit in with others. But if I sincerely like a loud song, then iTunes on my computer is good enough for me.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I love music and there are some artists that I would endure the pain of being in a somewhat crowded place for but for the most part I hate rubbing shoulders with strangers. People are icky. I am much more comfortable in an intimate setting such as a pub or small venue. Arenas no way not for anyone!

I am getting crankier as I get older and L and I will likely me the old couple shouting at the kids to get off our lawn! Oh wait, we already do that. :huh:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With that said, I wouldn't mind going to an orchestra concert. The audience is much less noisy there. Plus, I just love classical music.

Headstrong

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I was in high school, I loved going to concerts.

I loved general admission (generally punk rock), probably been to 20-30 of these concerts all over southern California. General admission really brings out the true nature of anonymity.

This has already been said, but the anonymity is very powerful. Nobody knows who you are, nobody cares. If you think somebody cares, you're wrong. There is so much power in this.

Everyone is so closely squashed together, you and everyone else will get pushed, shoved, stepped on, elbowed, etc. This is so common that nobody even begins to take it personally if you bump, hit, shove another person. Actually, it's just the opposite. Many times, people around you offer helping hands if you fall down.

I really love the pit, for nothing more than the pure anonymity. I can yell, push, shove, do the creepiest, weirdest dance and nobody gives a shit. They are doing the same thing. Once you realize this, it becomes powerful, and that's how many people use it to have a good time. General admission concerts are by no means a fashion show, many use it as a way to release emotion and show true self expression.

I'm not sure if this is any help, but I'm trying to show how I used the anonymity for confidence within the concert. There is pretty much nothing you can do to get people around you mad aside from slugging them in the face. You can yell, scream, push (in the pit), whatever... you aren't affecting their experience in the slightest. You have no power, and thats where confidence can be built to have fun your own way... even if it's standing listening to the band.

I am an INTJ, but I completely agree. An INTP friend and I are attending a Chevelle concert next week, so I think it is safe to say he does not mind the crowds at all. For him, it's not the anonymity that is comforting, he just "doesn't give a sh*t!"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Try to look at it as an "experience" to analyze and observe... that might help you stay detached from the crowd and also gives you motivation to try it.

Honestly, while the studio might be more "perfect," there is just something amazing being totally immersed (physically) in sound. Feeling your body drown and vibrate in it. Just amazing. I love it!

I don't like the crowds. I try to get seats close to exits or at least walk corridors so I can leave if I need to and don't feel so trapped. But you are there for the energy and music, not for the crowds, and can sometimes absorb yourself in the first two things and thus forget the latter.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like concerts, I also like sitting in the seats closest to the exit(s) at concerts. Hope that helps. ^_^

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The only time I went to a concert, someone had the audacity to grab my ass. Not the end of the world, but what frightens me is that something changes a person when he is in a crowd.. People become more sinister.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
The only time I went to a concert, someone had the audacity to grab my ass. Not the end of the world, but what frightens me is that something changes a person when he is in a crowd.. People become more sinister.

anonymity brings out personality traits and motives in people that would normally result in some sort of detrimental consequence were it done in an unambiguous environment :yes: