User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Unhappy INTPs and Big Crowds/Concerts

Suppose.. an INTP person would like to go to a concert for the first time seeing their favourite band/artist.

But somehow, a small phobia, like social anxiety, or just not feeling like being among a large group of people, and being in a crowded place is stopping this person.

What shall this person do?

Is there any way around this?

Would being in a big crowd trying to enjoy a show be somewhat, uncomfortable for this person?

Do any of you have similar problems like this?

I myself would like to go to a concert show sometime, but I'm afraid I won't enjoy it as other people?

Would I be afraid of hearing tons of people cheering and just making noise?

I'm not sure if this is how it is for INTPs. Having a big meeting to look forward to, but feeling SO queasy about it and being felt all left out of the enjoyment.

I really don't know what to think of this.

I also don't want to make excuses anymore like thinking of going to a place with lots of people, then in the last minute plans, I'm just ~lazy, I don't have the time, I'd rather spend my money on other things.. I'd rather be having alone time..

So I don't know what to think. If I really want to go to a venue, should I just go for it? Stop thinking to introvertly? I'm getting tired of it.

Ay ay ay

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I've always avoided concerts myself. I have the same hang-ups.
    Besides, most musicians play better in the studio than they do live.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I detest crowds.

When unavoidable, I contingency plan in case of catastrophic emergency and/or wanton groping.

My internal barometer tends to flare a mixture of suffocation and social claustrophobia.

Avoid at all costs.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

You strange people However I respect that everyone is different
    I sometimes work as a roadie for a couple of bands I know, so i'm very much the opposite

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I think it's easier if you take someone with you? A friend. I'm always braver when I have a cohort for my adventures. I don't really mind being in non-intrusive crowds. As long as I'm not in the spotlight/ in an awkward position. And it can be quite welcoming to be in the anonymous masses.

What's the worst that can happen, right? You'll decide you don't care for concerts and you can enjoy music/socializing under other circumstances and you won't have to wonder any longer. The best- you PAR-TAY!

You could also choose a performance at a smaller venue? Fewer people, less pressure.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Getting drunk and bringing people works

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTP

There is power in the anonymity a crowd provides. Concerts are worth trying, but don't go out of your way for them.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    There is power in the anonymity a crowd provides.
    Yeah, I'd agree with this. I always enjoyed concerts. I'd like to look at what people would wear. Generally other concert T-shirts and see who had the coolest or rarest one. This was back in the 80's when people like made an effort.

What's the venue type? You might be better off in reserved seats. It's easy to get pushed around in gen adm standing areas but really most people kinda mind their own business until the show starts.

The cheering and yelling never bothered me. I hate when people start jumping around and bump into me. Smoke and pot smoke would be pretty strong. i'd always get some ass lighting up and no matter where I'd stand or move the smoke would zone in on my eyes. I remember wanting to wear my T-shirt to school the next morning and the thing reeking to high heaven.

One thing I'd recommend would be those little foam ear plugs. One thing I'd hate would be trying to get to sleep and having that stupid ringing "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in my head all night. I'd take the plugs out when they'd play a song I really liked but really, you can hear fine with them in. The shows can get pretty loud and if you're standing by the amps, forget it. I didn't start wearing them until I was in college and worked at some venues. Then I would be at a concert at least a couple of times a week and really didn't want long term ringing though I can't say I was actively worried about it.

There's always so much to process. If you have great seats you can check out all sorts of things going on on stage and just search for detail. Stuff like set lists taped to the floor, water bottles, people preparing guitars to be switched in between songs.

I've gone to shows w/people and alone. It only sux to go w/a large group when you have to follow their lead. Like say people want to get stoned in the parking lot during the warm up act and you'd rather check it out. Fine if you're there at the arena and can go in but sux if they'd rather do it at a Burger King parking lot 3 mi away so the cops won't see.

Try to park with a straight shot to the exit and back into your space if possible. Getting out can be the real pain, especially w/people who are a little buzzed and amped up. Overall, I wouldn't let anything scare you. It's cool to see your favorite group sing your favorite tunes. Of course, you may have that obscure song on the album you love that they may not play and it'll really piss you off but when they do - sheer bliss.

MBTI
    INTP

My motto is: Anywhere that there's other people cannot be fun.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by intpgirl View Post
    Suppose.. an INTP person would like to go to a concert for the first time seeing their favourite band/artist.

But somehow, a small phobia, like social anxiety, or just not feeling like being among a large group of people, and being in a crowded place is stopping this person.

What shall this person do?

Is there any way around this?

Would being in a big crowd trying to enjoy a show be somewhat, uncomfortable for this person?

Do any of you have similar problems like this?

I myself would like to go to a concert show sometime, but I'm afraid I won't enjoy it as other people?

Would I be afraid of hearing tons of people cheering and just making noise?

I'm not sure if this is how it is for INTPs. Having a big meeting to look forward to, but feeling SO queasy about it and being felt all left out of the enjoyment.

I really don't know what to think of this.

I also don't want to make excuses anymore like thinking of going to a place with lots of people, then in the last minute plans, I'm just ~lazy, I don't have the time, I'd rather spend my money on other things.. I'd rather be having alone time..

So I don't know what to think. If I really want to go to a venue, should I just go for it? Stop thinking to introvertly? I'm getting tired of it.

When I was in high school, I loved going to concerts.

I loved general admission (generally punk rock), probably been to 20-30 of these concerts all over southern California. General admission really brings out the true nature of anonymity.

This has already been said, but the anonymity is very powerful. Nobody knows who you are, nobody cares. If you think somebody cares, you're wrong. There is so much power in this.

Everyone is so closely squashed together, you and everyone else will get pushed, shoved, stepped on, elbowed, etc. This is so common that nobody even begins to take it personally if you bump, hit, shove another person. Actually, it's just the opposite. Many times, people around you offer helping hands if you fall down.

I really love the pit, for nothing more than the pure anonymity. I can yell, push, shove, do the creepiest, weirdest dance and nobody gives a shit. They are doing the same thing. Once you realize this, it becomes powerful, and that's how many people use it to have a good time. General admission concerts are by no means a fashion show, many use it as a way to release emotion and show true self expression.

I'm not sure if this is any help, but I'm trying to show how I used the anonymity for confidence within the concert. There is pretty much nothing you can do to get people around you mad aside from slugging them in the face. You can yell, scream, push (in the pit), whatever... you aren't affecting their experience in the slightest. You have no power, and thats where confidence can be built to have fun your own way... even if it's standing listening to the band.