• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Types that make you "shut down"?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
in order:
1) ESTJ (ugh, they bother me so much)
2) ESFJ
3) ENFJ
4) ESTP
5) ISFJ
6) ISTJ
7) ISTP
8) INFJ (on occassion)
essentialy STs and FJs

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So pretty much half of the people you know ;)

actually, I listed all the SJs, so that's 45% already and STPs, that's another 15%, plus NFJs which is another 5% or so, so we're looking at, eh 65% of people. I think I'll move ENFJ down on the list though. lots of them are cool and they're cool as long as they don't guilt trip (I can't stand it when FJs try to guilt trip me. it never works, but it annoys the hell out of me). I mean, there are cool people of every type, but these are the ones who bother me the most frequently

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
SFJs and ENTPs...Fe just makes me recoil when it reaches for the guilt-button.

:solidarity:

I generally get along with most people, but some SFJ's make me extremely wary in a way that other types don't. Especially ISFJ's... I feel simultaneously like I'm solely responsible for driving social interaction (which is uncomfortable), and that no matter how careful I am that I'll do *something* "wrong", and out comes the guilt-hammer (which just rips me apart like nothing else). So I'm always on edge. Admittedly, there's history there -- I know that most ISFJ's are very nice people, but I'm always tip-toeing around them waiting for the other shoe to drop (whether it will or not).

ESFJ's to a lesser extent -- but I've not gotten the same feeling from ENTP's, like Satine says. Usually I have enough in common with ENTP's that there are few issues that way.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTJ's. I usually don't share their values, beliefs, way of looking at things. And they hardly ever understand a word of what I'm saying. Well, they understand the words, they're not all stupid, but they often don't get the actual meaning I try to convey.

^10

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
kelric said:
Satine said:
Fe just makes me recoil when it reaches for the guilt-button.

the only thing a guilt trip does to me is make me want to punch someone.

i shut down around ISTPs, in the sense that i just feel awk around them. i don't know what to say. i find them attractive fairly often too, which really doesn't help things
:blushing:

Barlwooh

ISTJ's. I usually don't share their values, beliefs, way of looking at things. And they hardly ever understand a word of what I'm saying. Well, they understand the words, they're not all stupid, but they often don't get the actual meaning I try to convey.

Strange, ive been friends with an ISTJ since i was a kid. All the other ISTJ's i dont get, its mutual dislike. BUT i very much enjoy the company of that one ISTJ? But it might have something to do with the fact that ive had years and years to poison his mind with strange stuff. He doesnt even seem like an ISTJ. :shrug:

F

figsfiggyfigs

Boring ISTJS, and any SFs... urgh.
ESTJs also, I want to smack them.

/stereotyping

bcubchgo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
no type makes me shut down completely - however, certain *STJ's make me really angry, to the point where I am avoidant of them to prevent myself from seething internally. it's the few, the proud, the pains in the asses that attempt to shove rhetoric down your throat that make me want to scream bloody murder. That is really the only issue I have with them. if they weren't so gosh darned sure of their rightness all the time it would be so much easier to handle. Pure logic isn't everything guys and gals.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's certain behaviors that make me shut down, not types.

Examples of behaviors that will make me shut down:

*Be smothering or overprotective
*Be overly effusive to the point of being insincere
*Insult my intelligence or competence
*Insist you are right and not be willing to consider another viewpoint
*Be overly rigid about rules and not have common sense about when exceptions should be made
*Be too talkative. Ask me too many questions and expect me to have answers immediately and not allow me to think things through.
*Being more angry than the situation warrants
*Being too nosy.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
People who don't laugh when I want to make them laugh or who take what I say waaaay to serious. These are often people with strong S and/or strong J, but not only.

gromit

likes this
I shut down when somebody is really mean or hurtful and I don't have words to fight back.

93JC

It's certain behaviors that make me shut down, not types.

Examples of behaviors that will make me shut down:

*Be smothering or overprotective
*Be overly effusive to the point of being insincere
*Insult my intelligence or competence
*Insist you are right and not be willing to consider another viewpoint
*Be overly rigid about rules and not have common sense about when exceptions should be made
*Be too talkative. Ask me too many questions and expect me to have answers immediately and not allow me to think things through.
*Being more angry than the situation warrants
*Being too nosy.

These also bother me, but I admit I am sometimes guilty of the ones I bolded. Especially insisting I'm right all the time. I'm sure it drives other people crazy so for the most part I just let it go.

Another behaviour that causes me to "shut down" is other people giving me unsolicited 'advice'. I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions. Most of the time I ignore what these people tell me and don't bring the issue up again ("shut down"), but every once in a while it will lead to a blow-up depending on how offensive or stupid I find the advice or how persistent the other person is.

If there's one behaviour that drives me up the wall and will cause me to "shut down" more than any other, it is insincerity. I don't lie. I'm not a convincing liar. In general don't think lies are really worth being said. I expect the same behaviour in return. "White lies" aren't a big deal, I'll let them go quite easily, but if I find out someone more profoundly lied to me I will not be speaking to that person for a while. A particularly big lie? Forget it, I'm done, the proverbial door is closed, and I'm never talking to that person again. Ever.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I often don't mix well with Fe-tertiary types or people who take conventional social graces to an extreme. When I'm in an adversarial exchange, it is interesting to be able to throw off types reliant on facial expressions and other emotional cues with a poker face, though.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
EJ's tend to shut me down as well as judgmental people in general. Stop harshing my mellow! *snickers at the irony of me judging the judgers*

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Extreme extroverts who require a response to everything they say. I can't even.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Extreme extroverts who require a response to everything they say. I can't even.

my ESFJ coworker wants to know 'what's wrong' or 'what you say' every time I sigh or say something to myself. That's annoying.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
People who take my words too seriously/literally. I can get very flippant with (spoken) words, and those who can't take that make me feel like I'm walking on eggshells.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Another behaviour that causes me to "shut down" is other people giving me unsolicited 'advice'. I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions. Most of the time I ignore what these people tell me and don't bring the issue up again ("shut down"), but every once in a while it will lead to a blow-up depending on how offensive or stupid I find the advice or how persistent the other person is.

If there's one behaviour that drives me up the wall and will cause me to "shut down" more than any other, it is insincerity. I don't lie. I'm not a convincing liar. In general don't think lies are really worth being said. I expect the same behaviour in return. "White lies" aren't a big deal, I'll let them go quite easily, but if I find out someone more profoundly lied to me I will not be speaking to that person for a while. A particularly big lie? Forget it, I'm done, the proverbial door is closed, and I'm never talking to that person again. Ever.

I can't believe I neglected to mention these two things. Big problem for me as well.