User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    NICE

When I am stressed I have a tendency to indulge in excessive sensate behaviour - too much wine, cigarettes, internet, etc. Not typical NT behaviour - quite the opposite.

However, more than one person has commented that I look extremely calm under pressure and seldom if ever flake out, although they don't get that I might be just as upset but just don't look it. Usually I only get angry when my Time Out is "rudely" interrupted. I don't get much of it these days and hanker for a quiet place to skulk. It's problematic when someone does not get the leave-me-alone hints - tantamount to a slap in the face - and I'm liable to lapse into biting sarcasm, something, I am not proud to say, that I can be very good at. One thing I have noticed at work when I'm stressed out: I tend to try to accumulate and manage lots of detailed information that is probably irrelevant to a project. It can be quite compulsive and probably indicates some time out is required, with a glass of wine and a cigarette of course.

The biggest problem is overwhelmingly trying to plan and control future events (obviously impossible) this often gets me in a bind and I end up thinking about the same thing over and over. This can be compulsive and leaves friends exasperated.

Thanks for your posts Uberfuhrer - always interesting to hear your views.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?

I tend to not show any outward signs of stress. When I'm stressed, I usually end up clenching my teeth together in my sleep (which results in a hellish migraine in the morning...I wear a night guard in my mouth nowadays)

How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?

It isn't much altered. I will have the thing that's stressing me in the back of my mind at all times, but I'm always thinking about something anyway, so it's not that different.

What kinds of things stress you out?

Uncompleted schoolwork. I procrastinate a lot (hehe) and end up stressing myself out because of it.

How do you deal with stress?

The only way to deal with the stress is by working on the project in a way that satisfies my feeling of accomplishment.

MBTI
    JIxT

My annoyance meter shrinks.

How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?

Speed and performance jumps up, but accuracy goes down slightly.

What kinds of things stress you out?

Procrastination with unfinished work. When things do not go the way I plan, like in failure.

How do you deal with stress?

I try to calm myself through recreational means or leisurely means. Recreation - forums, learning, books, video games. Leisure - TV, sleep, easy read books.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed? I don't show much outward signs to most people. Night time teeth clenching/grinding. I shred right through some mouthguards at times.

How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed? I'm much more aware of any and all irritants and they are magnified.

How do you deal with stress? Being alone. Laying down. Listening to music, working out and walking. Indulging in more physical pleasures like sex or eating.

What kind of things stress you out? Inconsistency at work that effects me (as in I have to fix or deal with it). Things at home. Things that are beyond my control but I still want to control anyway, although that's improved significantly.

MBTI
    eNTj
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer
    • What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?
    Depending on the level of stress, I will have my initial venting to whomever is around that can stomach it, then followed by a whole lot of silence. I tend to hide from people and just keep my headphones in. At home, I will lock myself in my room or find somewhere I can be alone.

If the stress hits me really hard initially, I won't be able to talk about it at all until I calm down. I have to remove myself from everyone and work things out in my mind to a point where I can handle them. Alcohol usually gets involved if it's the weekend. Eventaully, I will be able to talk about things, but it may take a couple of days.

• How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?
    Usually, I work things out in my head by talking through them. However, when I'm majorly stressed, I really can't talk about it rationally. Therefore, I will write out all of my thoughts to get them more oraganized. I go as far as to make venn diagrams and timelines to see how things have progrossed. Again, I have to be completely alone and I have to keep my thoughts well-hidden after they've been put on paper.

• How do you deal with stress?
    See above. Hionestly, I don't deal well.
    • What kinds of things stress you out?
    Usually, it stems from a lack of understanding in some area (especially work-related) when I am expected to make something work. If there is too much emotional drama involved where there is miscommunication on my part, it stresses me out. It really gets to me when I can't seem to make myself clear or people take things that I say the wrong way. Major financial issues coupled with other junk can stress me out (I can usually handle it alone).

Hostility followed by periods of withdrawal, depending on the intensity. It's either A) I freak out and withdraw or B)Withdraw and shutdown.

Gee, stress is fun.