User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Default Dealing with nihilism.

In the last year I've found myself becoming more and more of a nihilist.

One reason for this is the problem of arbitrariness. I can't pay chess because it just seems so, well, arbitrary; why can the rook do this and the bishop do this? There's no reason for these things. It's just made up.

Not just chess, but everything. I'm watching a movie and it's pretty good as far as movies go, but then I realize that, just like chess, the movie is arbitrary and imperfect.

I'm reading a book, Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's well-written and informative, but then it hits me that he could be totally wrong about what he's saying and I'm wasting my time. Sure, Guns, Germs, and Steel uses empirical facts to support its conclusions, but so did The Passing of the Great Race, or the Racial Basis of European History, but they both come to wildly different conclusions. So how do you know what to believe? Both seem correct when you read them, at least logically. Information, data, goes straight to conclusions in both books. So, again, who is right? How do you know what to believe in general if all belief is based on improvable information.

I'm reading about the Bosnian genocide and come across an internet link where a Serbian nationalist talks about how the Bosnians initiated the war by poisoning Serbian water supplies and raiding villages. Dammit! Even though there's much more data supporting the idea that the Serbs (Or at least their generals) were the ones mostly to blame, I can't discount what that guy said completely. The U.S. government has lied to people in the past, and it's possible that the truth about the Bosnian genocide isn't being told. I'm not saying I think that, but it's possible. So you can never be sure of anything at all??? The link between empirical data and inductive opinion-forming and conclusion-coming doesn't exist.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

My type is either INTJ or INTP, by the way. ( http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...1035-xxxx.html )

MBTI
    SEXY

Does it even really matter what is true and what isn't? 99% of the stuff that's going on in the world isn't even relevant to you as an individual. The Bosnian genocide for instance only had a very marginal effect on my life, hence, while the truth is nice, it is also irrelevant to my life.
    (removed)

MBTI
    EnfJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII

wow I started the book but realized it was almost 2,000 pages

Cliffsnotes?

It's a nihilist's suicide note. There are no cliffnotes yet, I'm afraid.

MBTI
    EnfJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII

go figure. Speaking of arbitrary do you ever watch Nick at Night?

No.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The problem with running a nihilistic program on a computer designed to steer us towards goals has been made painfully obvious to me through many clinical depressions.
    Though it may be arguably true that all value IS subjective, it's arguably stupid and self-defeating to thwart one's subjective values and instead to (mis)use the psychodynamics of self-fulfilling prophecy towards the ends your psyche automagically strives towards.
    Personally I'd rather steer towards happiness as SOMETHING than nothingness which results in a future version of me not being able to get there from here in way in which no-ONE ends up smack dab in the middle of No-PLACE (EG Utopia).
    Given nihilism or bliss to steer towards, I'll steer towards Bliss.
    I suggest you do the same.

MBTI
    iNfj

I thought INTP's just took in information for the sake of taking it in ...

But it seems like you are talking less about nihilism then with being frustrated at not being able to form a solid picture of the world and thus evolving a general skepticism which results in a sort of relativism? I don't feel like this leads to the conclusion (or feeling) that life and its aspects are meaningless.