• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Is there such thing as infinity?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Multiply zero by anything and you get zero. Multiply infinity by anything and you get infinity. Dividing a number by zero yields infinity; dividing a number by infinity yields zero. Adding zero to a number leaves the number unchanged. Adding a number to infinity leaves infinity unchanged.

Zero is equal to infinity .. therefore if the universe is infinite , nothing exists :laugh:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
As I was saying to thatgirl on vent, infinity is a direction, not a destination

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Multiply zero by anything and you get zero. Multiply infinity by anything and you get infinity. Dividing a number by zero yields infinity; dividing a number by infinity yields zero. Adding zero to a number leaves the number unchanged. Adding a number to infinity leaves infinity unchanged.

Zero is equal to infinity .. therefore if the universe is infinite , nothing exists :laugh:

its more like 0 is to ∞ as -1 is to +1

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1

No.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Dividing a number by zero yields infinity

This is wrong. When you divide a number by another one, by definition the answer of that division multiplied by the number you divided with is the number you are dividing. When you divide by zero this is not the case as multiplying something by zero always gives you zero. Dividing by zero is mathematically impossible, and does not equal infinity.

30/6=5 gives 5*6=30
30/0=infinity does not give infinty*0=30

[YOUTUBE="yBdaumeA254"]To infinity and beyond[/YOUTUBE]

BTW. The shape of the universe is most likely a multi-dimensional (more than 3 dimensions) donut.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
This is wrong. When you divide a number by another one, by definition the answer of that division multiplied by the number you divided with is the number you are dividing. When you divide by zero this is not the case as multiplying something by zero always gives you zero. Dividing by zero is mathematically impossible, and does not equal infinity.

30/6=5 gives 5*6=30
30/0=infinity does not give infinty*0=30

Right.

And that's an excellent video. In Part 2, the second man (not Graham) says it perfectly:
"You have to be very careful dealing with infinity, it's a very slippery concept."

But that's exactly what makes it so much fun to play with.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Infinity was invented to stop pissing contests going on for an infinitely long time.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
1/-0 = ?

Overnumerousness.

I'm not entirely sure if it applies to the concept of the universe though. I haven't been that far.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Argue with my High School math teacher guys.. not me please??..

PM me for her details, if you feel that strongly about what she taught me.

It's a pretty abstract concept.. therefore I am sure no answer is correct, nor can we use math to explain something abstract.
It's fun trying though.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
for those interested in mathematics history and philosophy, David Foster Wallace's book, on the history of infinity is fascinating! and, of course b/c it's DFW, extremely witty and well-written. highly highly recommend.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Infinity may exist in reality, but we will never be able to prove its existence.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Argue with my High School math teacher guys.. not me please??..

PM me for her details, if you feel that strongly about what she taught me.

It's a pretty abstract concept.. therefore I am sure no answer is correct, nor can we use math to explain something abstract.
It's fun trying though.

Your math is neither correct, nor not correct. It's complicated. Think of it this way:

There's a sequence of numbers (1/2),(1/3),(1/4),(1/5)...(1/0)
and then you've got 1/(1/2), 1/(1/3), 1(1/4)...+∞ (ie. 2,3,4...+∞)

On the other hand you have (-1/2),(-1/3),(-1/4),(-1/5)...(-1/0)
and 1/(-1/2), 1/(-1/3), 1(-1/4)...-∞ (ie. -2,-3,-4...-∞)

So you want to "define" (1/0) as infinity (you want to give it that value). Despite the fact that ∞ isn't a real number, we'll call it a real number here for argument's sake.

So we've got our whole numbers increasing until positive infinity and we have our fractions going down further towards our limit of (1/0). But wait, now we've named that number ∞. Is it +∞ or -∞ if the other numbers are all increasing towards +∞?

Ok, well, let's look at it from the other side. We have our negative integers decreasing towards -∞ and our negative fractions going up towards....what? +∞? -∞? Oh no what do we call it??

We can't just call it negative or positive based on how we feel about it at that time (or based on which direction we're approaching it from - whether from the positive integer's viewpoint or the negative integer's viewpoint). So we say that (1/0) is undefined and infinity isn't a number.

It makes things much less messy and our mathematical axioms remain flowery and virginal.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok, let's think in 2nd grade math.

If we give 1 apple to 0 people, will it result in an infinity of apples per person?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

We're infinite aren't we? Our physical body is at least, because it can't be destroyed. Energy is infinite. It's not really a time, and it isn't space, it's what occupies that space. Anything that occupies space is a form of energy and therefore is infinite. Mathematically infinity can't really have a -/+ because it's everywhere and doesn't travel anywhere. It just is.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Subatomic particles (quarks and electrons) are the smallest thing we know of that matter and energy are made of:

scale.gif

That's why we built a particle collider.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I believe infinity is highly plausible.

In the context of quantum physics, an electron cannot be cut in half - but mathematically it can.

So mathematically - you can have 1/2 of an electron, then cut that half by another half, and that half by another half, and that half by another half ...

In reality, an electron is the smallest form of matter in existence and cannot be broken down further.

However, given that there is a LIMIT as to how small matter can get, there is no limit as to how MUCH matter exists. Therefore, the theory of infinity is plausible.