• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Sport & The NT

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have a continuing interest in MBTI and its relation to sport, so I thought I'd ask in the NT forum since I know a couple of "Thinkers".

My main questions are:
  • Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
  • Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
  • In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

I know an INTJ and an ENTP; I'll give an overview of my thoughts on them and their relation to sport:

INTJ

His main sport is football (soccer). He, like me, enjoys tactical analysis and prefers to play the game from such a standpoint. Neither of us tend to run very much, preferring to get into a good position and wait to receive the ball. Whereas I am more creative in the way I play, he is more consistent, having solid skills in key areas (good passer; good tackler). I am more "flakey", and can be a dynamic force in one match but be utterly useless in the next.

He seems happy to play with people who may be worse than him, appearing to care more about what he is doing, ensuring he has a good game. He is good at beginning an attacking move, for example, but is rarely at its heart. Whereas I, for example, enjoy contributing to such an attack using flair and skill (a backheel; a Cruyff turn), he prefers a certain solidity following a pattern akin to: good position --> good pass --> good attack --> good goal.

He has also played squash (as have I). He once commented that it's a good game and is very "tactical". I suppose the enjoyment of tactics are an expression of Ni - how can I deconstruct this pattern for my betterment? - whereas my enjoyment of tactics tends to be the possibility of creating a "beautiful" movment/attack - how can I best create a pattern to dazzle my oppenent(s); that's probably Fi/Ne coming out somewhere.

ENTP

He's done everything imaginable - rowing, cycling, rugby, football, squash, moutaineering. He seems to enjoy the challenge for the sake of it. He's very committed and is never bad at any sport he plays, but prefers some more than others. I know much less about the ENTP than the INTJ since I haven't played much sport with the ENTP. Strategy appears to be less of a draw for him, however. It does play a part, but he appears to enjoy "getting stuck in" rather than the more laid-back approach of the INTJ. He enjoys team sports, but is rarely, if ever, the team captain despite having good leadership skills.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Nothing organised.. But i play fotball in the summers with a group of people. friends and distant known ones. ++ We have a facebook group we shout out at for fotball events.
I also skate and enjoy bicycling.

Fotball is sosial and challenging i also enjoy the mental bit of it. Lots of strategy involved and i usually share my views in my group and we brainstorm.++
Some times i get pointet out to make the teams as it seems they think im god at it. I try to even those who run alot out fairly ++
I also enjoy using my creative side. I have few manouvers worked inn other than some wierd ones only i do :D

Skateboard is so difficult and free. i enjoy the challenge and i enjoy it for the feel of mastering it. I usually drive in a mini ramp and i get this nice flow going.. Im imagining its a bit like surfing sometimes.

Snowboard in the powder is nice too, same flowy feeling. smooth.

bicycling must be the "im getting somewhere fast" and the riding experience.. I love riding on the back wheel also i do it nearly on every uphill. i also have a bmx to jump and stuff but i suck at it. More this summer hopefully.

Doing individual sport with friends are nice.. Fotball is really fun but i just run and run and run. And i sometimes get sick the days after because i am untrained and run more than the fotballers sometimes do.

Vollyball is really nice too but its not so common with areas in norway with nets and all.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
Yes, when I can. I play everything I can get my arms and feet to do. :D
Favorites to play are football(soccer), volleyball, badminton, and a bunch more.

Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
I like telling people what to do in teams, and when it's singles, I like kicking ass. :shrug:
I get an adrenaline rush from pushing myself past my limits. It's fantastic.
Noticing yourself improve over a period of time, and comparing it to when you first started; thats a thrill.<--- not only by skill but by your own physical improvement/health.

In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

Definitely individual. It's a great feeling to compete individually, especially when competing with someone better than me( or was), that is my favourite part; work till you can't move anymore.

Now I want to go play some football!

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Now I want to go play some football!

As an aside, what position do you play? I always favoured the trequartista role, but often end up in midfield or on the wing...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[*] Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?

Not now-- unless walking or cycling counts.

[*] Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?

Improving physical fitness- I don't do sports so I'm thinking of the theoretical benefits here.

I don't really think of it as a sport but I did do strength training a few years back. I'd like to get back into doing it. What I liked about it was feeling more fit and toned and quickly seeing improvemnts.

[*] In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

I've been lousy at every sport I ever tried so definitely individual sports. That way, I only let myself down if I do bad and not the whole team.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
* Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)? I was very athletic in the past. Hockey, softball, track, swimming. Now it's biking, some tennis, things to stay in shape.
* Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy? Competition and winning/preforming well.
* In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports? Either but looking back, team sports had a bigger and better influence on me.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
* Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
Mainly soccer & skiing. I tried out some, but I'm too lazy to continue them, or I want to try something out, but don't have the time/possibility. I live in a mainly rural area, so there aren't as much options as for others. Though I want to try out some more, like a martial art or parcour, maybe Iaido, when I get away from here.

* Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
Mainly because of the thrill. Especially skiing, when you're driving at full speed through deep snow, with many jumps and sharp turns, that's pure adrenaline running through the veins. In soccer, I'm also running & running around all the time(as long as I'm able^^). If I want to strategize, I play a strategy game.

* In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?
Clearly individual.

rav3n

Nothing beyond skiing and working out anymore.

The feelings or qualities of skiing are speed, precision, anticipation, reacting to the unanticipated during certain cloudy days, when flurries happen or you`re trying to handle a more extreme run. Bump runs that haven`t been badly hacked up by rookies or terrified skiers are the most fun where it`s about timing, carving, stretching, planting, air, left, right. And at the end of the day, your thighs are jello! :laugh:

Probably leans towards individual, although team sports are fun too, if you`re playing with good sports.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
1. Soccer is my main sport by far. I love competition and athletics so I would play pretty much any sport. I like baseball and football as well.

2. I'm ultra competitive. I love the challenge and emotional aspect of trying to be that much better than your opponent at the end of the day. I'm an intense person and I love having that tunnel vision that comes with trying to stop your man at all costs, or trying to beat your man at all costs. I like being a part of a team and having a positive overall contribution to the game. I live for the tactics involved in a game like soccer. I'm a calculated player who doesn't like to expend energy when I don't have to and I hate losing more than I like winning. I started off as a sweeper and was excellent at that because I'm very observant, can keep calm under pressure, and can tune things out and just focus on the ball.

I now primarily play right midfield, but can function as a striker if need be. I like the comfort of playing by the touchline and being able to drift into central areas at will. I hate staying in the central zones but love cherry picking and goal poaching. My father always preached ball control and getting rid of the ball quickly and that has helped tremendously in dictating games. There's no greater feeling to me than creating goals and opportunities and that's why I love playing on the wings. I have a great scoring instinct and love the fact that many times scoring is just a matter of having composure and letting your practice and instincts take over. I am not afraid to assert myself and draw pressure to free up teammates. I want the ball in big situations.

More than anything I love the feeling of getting compliments after a game when you've played really well.

3) I definitely prefer team sports. I'm more the type that plays and adjusts according to the quality of my opponents. I need to be pushed by teammates to get the best out of me. I lack the killer instinct without a team to support me.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY

I'm currently rowing... a lot. Last winter when it was freezing and the canal was frozen I did some squash fitness and rowing on a rowing machine. I know how to snowboard, but I haven't done it in a while (I'm going on winter holiday in March again). In the past I have mainly done swimming and before that gymnastics. On the occasional blue monday I have also played tennis, rugby, fencing, diving, boxing and dancing.

I like feeling in shape and energetic. I'm also fiercely competitive and very determined to perform my best. A big thing for me is the social aspect of the sport. I stopped boxing because there was no social life at that club. That's party why I'm rowing now.

It really depends on my mood. The thing I like about individual sports is that I can get in a trance while practicing it. Things like swimming, rowing, cycling etc. are a great way to soothe the mind.
On the other hand, team sports are usually more driven and competitive. When a team is in flow and winning that's a great feeling.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

None regularly, but I love a good badminton match as it's probably the only sport I can be considered good at. I'm a passable volleyball player if I only play back row and can be a decent midfielder in soccer, but that's about it.

I'm very competitive, and it's great practice for coordination to assess how wind speed/direction effects the flight of the birdie, and predicting how to compensate with the strength of my swing. I can't stop thinking while I'm playing sports (think of the tennis scene from Death Note), so by the end of it I'm usually physically and mentally exhausted, which can be great if I need to clear my mind for whatever reason.

Definitely individual. Doubles badminton is okay, but it usually ends in miscommunication and/or collisions unless we work out a discrete plan (like who covers the midline, or if it's on the midline from a certain direction/player). I'm in my own world when I play, so it's hard for me to be "in tune" with my partner and we just have to decide things beforehand.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5

Yes, Tennis, Golf, baseball, football, hockey, basketball, softball

I enjoy the physicality, the competition, the focus/strategy and joy of winning. I like solving the problems of physics too.

I like both for different reasons. I was a pitcher in baseball (which is the most individual position). In football I enjoyed most being QB, Kicker, punter the most.

I like individual sports because they are more convenient to play (golf can be done alone). That said, I miss playing baseball/football/softball immensely.

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
>* Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?

Basketball, Racquetball, and Chess (unless you don't count that).

>What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?

To paraphrase Charlie Sheen: Winning...

Also, I am a shooter at basketball so I love getting hot and hitting big shots in a row; also, I enjoy challenging my opponent on both ends.

> In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

This one is a toughie. My favorite sport is basketball, but it's a team sport. The problem with team sports is that I was never really a good team player. I passed and was cooperative, but I just could never get how to move w/o being in control - I was always focusing more on my own rather than my "team."

I don't know if this has affected other NTs, but I've always spaced out during games and my teammates or coaches would yell at me. Sometimes, I think more of about the sheer number of ways I beat my opponent w/o realizing I'm actually holding the ball. This is so not an NT trait, but I get nervous when handling the ball against stronger opponents because I would overthink everything to a point where I'd be too afraid make a decision and sports, as you know, is literally thinking on your feet.

But with friends, I love playing in teams.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Played heaps in the past, none at the moment though, mainly football codes; AFL, rugby union, touch footy, and Gaelic as well as beach and indoor volleyball.

I enjoyed the physical activity as well as the sociability of it all.

I have a strong preference for team sports.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
  • Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?

Currently: Rowing & Snowboarding (in winter)

• Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?

The adrenaline rush, the pride felt when you realize you're better then somebody else, the wind rushing through your air when you're going down the mountain really fast.

• In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

I don't really care. I'm very determined and perfectionistic, so when I'm in a team I want to be able to rely on them. Otherwise I'd rather do sports individually.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP

I have tried lots of things, but the only sport I ever liked for years was tennis. I liked the challenge and competitiveness of it. I can't find anyone that wants to play nowadays.

I liked the strategy - ascertaining your opponent and coordinating your strategy accordingly. I loved having a good opponent, it made me up my game.

* In general, do you prefer individual- or team-based sports?

I played baseball when I was young. I HATED the amount of time it took to get a turn at bat, and my turn being delayed or never coming because of strike outs irritated me even more, but I did enjoy the game itself due to the competitiveness and played for several years. I usually prefer one on one things though. Mostly because I hate waiting and I get irritated if I lose because of other people. Or if they are slow... Or if they do dumb things... :)

I like hiking, but I don't consider it a sport. I have been wanting to try golf and will probably be good at it. I did not like indoor racquetball - too aggressive for me (or the people I played were).

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Yeah. Right now, mostly cycling, although I still play soccer and basketball from time to time.

Soccer and basketball: I mostly enjoy developing a skillful technique and applying it towards scoring. Given that I don't get paid, I'm equally concerned about the aesthetics/fun and winning - the latter takes precedence only when I'm playing some kind of organized tournament.
Cycling: I enjoy the effort it takes to climb mountains, and obviously the competition bit, too (only in uphill races, I don't really love flat courses). Winning is very hard, though, since for each race there are hundreds of attendants - I don't understand how the internet is so full of people that win at sports :shrug:

Individual, it's not that easy for me to develop a good feel about a "team" unless I know well the people involved.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Started soccer, basketball, and baseball all around age 4. Quit baseball by age 7 because I thought it was idiotic waiting around for the chance to have someone hit the ball at you and then waiting for your teammates to get out of the way so you could finally be the one at bat.

Switched from forward to goalie in soccer at age 10. Continued as a point guard in basketball.

Played a year of football at age 12, led the team in sacks and fumbles recovered but I was a defensive tackle and weighed less than a hundred pounds at the time so I thought it was a waste of my speed.

Moved to a new school and got cut from basketball team so I picked up guys volleyball (Ft Lauderdale). Still played goalie in soccer.

Moved to another high school in Orlando with no volleyball team so I picked up lacrosse and played middie til I graduated. Also played goalie til I grad'd.

In college now playing both club volleyball and handball. Also picked up snowboarding, repelling and down-hill biking (but I do those more as freetime hobbies).

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
I do. I play football, soccer, baseball, I box, bike and run. I also do resistance training.

Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
I like competing, I enjoy pushing myself and, I like the feeling of fatigue and soreness I get from exercise.

In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?
They both have their merits, I enjoy them equally.