User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Sport & The NT

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Question Sport & The NT

I have a continuing interest in MBTI and its relation to sport, so I thought I'd ask in the NT forum since I know a couple of "Thinkers".

My main questions are:
    • Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
    • Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
    • In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

I know an INTJ and an ENTP; I'll give an overview of my thoughts on them and their relation to sport:

INTJ

His main sport is football (soccer). He, like me, enjoys tactical analysis and prefers to play the game from such a standpoint. Neither of us tend to run very much, preferring to get into a good position and wait to receive the ball. Whereas I am more creative in the way I play, he is more consistent, having solid skills in key areas (good passer; good tackler). I am more "flakey", and can be a dynamic force in one match but be utterly useless in the next.

He seems happy to play with people who may be worse than him, appearing to care more about what he is doing, ensuring he has a good game. He is good at beginning an attacking move, for example, but is rarely at its heart. Whereas I, for example, enjoy contributing to such an attack using flair and skill (a backheel; a Cruyff turn), he prefers a certain solidity following a pattern akin to: good position --> good pass --> good attack --> good goal.

He has also played squash (as have I). He once commented that it's a good game and is very "tactical". I suppose the enjoyment of tactics are an expression of Ni - how can I deconstruct this pattern for my betterment? - whereas my enjoyment of tactics tends to be the possibility of creating a "beautiful" movment/attack - how can I best create a pattern to dazzle my oppenent(s); that's probably Fi/Ne coming out somewhere.

ENTP

He's done everything imaginable - rowing, cycling, rugby, football, squash, moutaineering. He seems to enjoy the challenge for the sake of it. He's very committed and is never bad at any sport he plays, but prefers some more than others. I know much less about the ENTP than the INTJ since I haven't played much sport with the ENTP. Strategy appears to be less of a draw for him, however. It does play a part, but he appears to enjoy "getting stuck in" rather than the more laid-back approach of the INTJ. He enjoys team sports, but is rarely, if ever, the team captain despite having good leadership skills.
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

MBTI
    INTJ

1. Nothing organised.. But i play fotball in the summers with a group of people. friends and distant known ones. ++ We have a facebook group we shout out at for fotball events.
    I also skate and enjoy bicycling.

Fotball is sosial and challenging i also enjoy the mental bit of it. Lots of strategy involved and i usually share my views in my group and we brainstorm.++
    Some times i get pointet out to make the teams as it seems they think im god at it. I try to even those who run alot out fairly ++
    I also enjoy using my creative side. I have few manouvers worked inn other than some wierd ones only i do

Skateboard is so difficult and free. i enjoy the challenge and i enjoy it for the feel of mastering it. I usually drive in a mini ramp and i get this nice flow going.. Im imagining its a bit like surfing sometimes.

Snowboard in the powder is nice too, same flowy feeling. smooth.

bicycling must be the "im getting somewhere fast" and the riding experience.. I love riding on the back wheel also i do it nearly on every uphill. i also have a bmx to jump and stuff but i suck at it. More this summer hopefully.

Doing individual sport with friends are nice.. Fotball is really fun but i just run and run and run. And i sometimes get sick the days after because i am untrained and run more than the fotballers sometimes do.

Vollyball is really nice too but its not so common with areas in norway with nets and all.

figsfiggyfigs

Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
    Yes, when I can. I play everything I can get my arms and feet to do.
    Favorites to play are football(soccer), volleyball, badminton, and a bunch more.

Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
    I like telling people what to do in teams, and when it's singles, I like kicking ass.
    I get an adrenaline rush from pushing myself past my limits. It's fantastic.
    Noticing yourself improve over a period of time, and comparing it to when you first started; thats a thrill.<--- not only by skill but by your own physical improvement/health.

In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

Definitely individual. It's a great feeling to compete individually, especially when competing with someone better than me( or was), that is my favourite part; work till you can't move anymore.

Now I want to go play some football!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Now I want to go play some football!
    As an aside, what position do you play? I always favoured the trequartista role, but often end up in midfield or on the wing...
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

[*] Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?

Not now-- unless walking or cycling counts.
    [*] Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?

Improving physical fitness- I don't do sports so I'm thinking of the theoretical benefits here.

I don't really think of it as a sport but I did do strength training a few years back. I'd like to get back into doing it. What I liked about it was feeling more fit and toned and quickly seeing improvemnts.

[*] In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

I've been lousy at every sport I ever tried so definitely individual sports. That way, I only let myself down if I do bad and not the whole team.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

No sports whatsoever.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

* Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)? I was very athletic in the past. Hockey, softball, track, swimming. Now it's biking, some tennis, things to stay in shape.
    * Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy? Competition and winning/preforming well.
    * In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports? Either but looking back, team sports had a bigger and better influence on me.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

* Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
    Mainly soccer & skiing. I tried out some, but I'm too lazy to continue them, or I want to try something out, but don't have the time/possibility. I live in a mainly rural area, so there aren't as much options as for others. Though I want to try out some more, like a martial art or parcour, maybe Iaido, when I get away from here.

* Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
    Mainly because of the thrill. Especially skiing, when you're driving at full speed through deep snow, with many jumps and sharp turns, that's pure adrenaline running through the veins. In soccer, I'm also running & running around all the time(as long as I'm able^^). If I want to strategize, I play a strategy game.

* In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?
    Clearly individual.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

Nothing beyond skiing and working out anymore.

The feelings or qualities of skiing are speed, precision, anticipation, reacting to the unanticipated during certain cloudy days, when flurries happen or you`re trying to handle a more extreme run. Bump runs that haven`t been badly hacked up by rookies or terrified skiers are the most fun where it`s about timing, carving, stretching, planting, air, left, right. And at the end of the day, your thighs are jello!

Probably leans towards individual, although team sports are fun too, if you`re playing with good sports.

MBTI
    INTP

1. Soccer is my main sport by far. I love competition and athletics so I would play pretty much any sport. I like baseball and football as well.

2. I'm ultra competitive. I love the challenge and emotional aspect of trying to be that much better than your opponent at the end of the day. I'm an intense person and I love having that tunnel vision that comes with trying to stop your man at all costs, or trying to beat your man at all costs. I like being a part of a team and having a positive overall contribution to the game. I live for the tactics involved in a game like soccer. I'm a calculated player who doesn't like to expend energy when I don't have to and I hate losing more than I like winning. I started off as a sweeper and was excellent at that because I'm very observant, can keep calm under pressure, and can tune things out and just focus on the ball.

I now primarily play right midfield, but can function as a striker if need be. I like the comfort of playing by the touchline and being able to drift into central areas at will. I hate staying in the central zones but love cherry picking and goal poaching. My father always preached ball control and getting rid of the ball quickly and that has helped tremendously in dictating games. There's no greater feeling to me than creating goals and opportunities and that's why I love playing on the wings. I have a great scoring instinct and love the fact that many times scoring is just a matter of having composure and letting your practice and instincts take over. I am not afraid to assert myself and draw pressure to free up teammates. I want the ball in big situations.

More than anything I love the feeling of getting compliments after a game when you've played really well.

3) I definitely prefer team sports. I'm more the type that plays and adjusts according to the quality of my opponents. I need to be pushed by teammates to get the best out of me. I lack the killer instinct without a team to support me.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.