First 1234 Last

Thread: Sport & The NT

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

I hated PE during my school days because it was basically just playing soccer and basketball. I never got anything out of playing or watching team sports. The only parts I liked were athletics and (to a lesser degree) swimming.

I really like running though (at least if I'm in shape). It's a nice way to balance things out, relax and free your mind. Plus I find that it makes me sleep much better at night.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

A window to the soul

I was in drill team, if that counts. I preferred team sports when I was in school and I most enjoyed the competition aspect. Overall, I'm not heavy into sports.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    I hated PE during my school days because it was basically just playing soccer and basketball. I never got anything out of playing or watching team sports. The only parts I liked were athletics and (to a lesser degree) swimming.

I really like running though (at least if I'm in shape). It's a nice way to balance things out, relax and free your mind. Plus I find that it makes me sleep much better at night.
    Same here about PE, but I have always hated running - seems like a worthwhile pursuit, but just could never get into it. Prefer hiking and cycling, weather permitting, even skating. Otherwise I will go to the gym and work out on weights/cardio machines, but that's not really a sport. I used to ski, but have not done so lately. I suppose the closest thing I do to a real sport now is martial arts.

With any fitness or athletic activity, I enjoy learning to do something new, and to keep getting better at it. I also enjoy keeping fit and being active - just the sensations of movement, strength, flexibility, and using my body in various ways. It boosts my overall energy and just plain makes me feel physically good.

I definitely prefer individual sports, and always have. I like to go at my own pace, and not have my results depend (so much) on others.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

less sport more competition

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Are you Dimitar Berbatov?
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

MBTI
    entp

I used hate it when people would analyze sports and play accordingly having preferred the intrinsic 'just do it' approach myself.

But then I went thru changes and started giving logic much more importance than it deserves. Now I analyze the crap out of sport movements too. I am also way more lazy now.

But to answer the original question: I play everything. I'm not bad at anything. I'm good at everything I try to be good at (I think this is because I'm not 'afraid'. 'Afraid' as in being too afraid to dive to catch the ball, lunge to hit the birdie, lift more weight than recommended, not stop because of what seems like an injury)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    I have a continuing interest in MBTI and its relation to sport, so I thought I'd ask in the NT forum since I know a couple of "Thinkers".

My main questions are:
    • Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
    • Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
    • In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

I was a runner for a bit and then bike racer (road cycling). I enjoyed the training aspect - it gave a rhythym to my life that I enjoyed - for six days a week I had a way to accomplish something and motivation to get out of the office and get some fresh air (or rain or snow or heat ). Road racing has been described as high speed 3 dimensional chess and its not that far off: the tactics can be elaborate and I enjoyed the mental challenge of having to analyze quickly with incomplete data. Bike racing is a team sport but at its heart its an individual effort. I did not "place" often but was very content to see my team do well and do my part in those victories. I also just enjoyed knowing I had raced well when I had done so regardless of the outcome.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    I was a runner for a bit and then bike racer (road cycling). I enjoyed the training aspect - it gave a rhythym to my life that I enjoyed - for six days a week I had a way to accomplish something and motivation to get out of the office and get some fresh air (or rain or snow or heat ). Road racing has been described as high speed 3 dimensional chess and its not that far off: the tactics can be elaborate and I enjoyed the mental challenge of having to analyze quickly with incomplete data. Bike racing is a team sport but at its heart its an individual effort. I did not "place" often but was very content to see my team do well and do my part in those victories. I also just enjoyed knowing I had raced well when I had done so regardless of the outcome.
    I am a road cyclist too, although it's just recreational. I suppose most people think cycling is a thing you do at the weekend in the summer, but I know how gruelling it is. Climbing a 12% hill is an emotional experience, even if you are trying to be stoic!

Gives you sexy thighs, though.
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

Enneagram
    5w4

I enjoy watching tennis and have my favourite player...but I myself am incredibly uncoordinated.

Swimming is the first sport I learned and probably the one I'm most adept at.

When it comes to watching sports, I prefer solo sports. Using the Olympics as my point of reference, diving and gymnastics are my highlights (especially the scoring). And table tennis!
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    I am a road cyclist too, although it's just recreational. I suppose most people think cycling is a thing you do at the weekend in the summer, but I know how gruelling it is. Climbing a 12% hill is an emotional experience, even if you are trying to be stoic!

Gives you sexy thighs, though.
    I was strictly a rhythym climber and dreaded things like 12% grades if it was a long climb: all I could do is find a cadence and gear selection that worked and hang on. On the other hand I loved it when conditions were awful: cross winds, cold, rain - my meat and drink. I think I should have been born in Belgium !

But are correct - there is a real feeling of accomplishment on a day full of hard climbs. It isn't so much about how fast you get up as it is knowing you climbed as well as you could. Then you get those magical days were you do really well, when mind and body are both in top form.

One of the greatest feelings in the world.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups