User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Sport & The NT

MBTI
    SEXY

* Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?

I'm currently rowing... a lot. Last winter when it was freezing and the canal was frozen I did some squash fitness and rowing on a rowing machine. I know how to snowboard, but I haven't done it in a while (I'm going on winter holiday in March again). In the past I have mainly done swimming and before that gymnastics. On the occasional blue monday I have also played tennis, rugby, fencing, diving, boxing and dancing.

* Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?

I like feeling in shape and energetic. I'm also fiercely competitive and very determined to perform my best. A big thing for me is the social aspect of the sport. I stopped boxing because there was no social life at that club. That's party why I'm rowing now.

* In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

It really depends on my mood. The thing I like about individual sports is that I can get in a trance while practicing it. Things like swimming, rowing, cycling etc. are a great way to soothe the mind.
    On the other hand, team sports are usually more driven and competitive. When a team is in flow and winning that's a great feeling.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

[*] Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
    None regularly, but I love a good badminton match as it's probably the only sport I can be considered good at. I'm a passable volleyball player if I only play back row and can be a decent midfielder in soccer, but that's about it.

[*] Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
    I'm very competitive, and it's great practice for coordination to assess how wind speed/direction effects the flight of the birdie, and predicting how to compensate with the strength of my swing. I can't stop thinking while I'm playing sports (think of the tennis scene from Death Note), so by the end of it I'm usually physically and mentally exhausted, which can be great if I need to clear my mind for whatever reason.

[*] In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?
    Definitely individual. Doubles badminton is okay, but it usually ends in miscommunication and/or collisions unless we work out a discrete plan (like who covers the midline, or if it's on the midline from a certain direction/player). I'm in my own world when I play, so it's hard for me to be "in tune" with my partner and we just have to decide things beforehand.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Yes, Tennis, Golf, baseball, football, hockey, basketball, softball

[B]* Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
    I enjoy the physicality, the competition, the focus/strategy and joy of winning. I like solving the problems of physics too.

* In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

I like both for different reasons. I was a pitcher in baseball (which is the most individual position). In football I enjoyed most being QB, Kicker, punter the most.

I like individual sports because they are more convenient to play (golf can be done alone). That said, I miss playing baseball/football/softball immensely.

MBTI
    INTP

>* Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?

Basketball, Racquetball, and Chess (unless you don't count that).

>What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?

To paraphrase Charlie Sheen: Winning...

Also, I am a shooter at basketball so I love getting hot and hitting big shots in a row; also, I enjoy challenging my opponent on both ends.

> In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

This one is a toughie. My favorite sport is basketball, but it's a team sport. The problem with team sports is that I was never really a good team player. I passed and was cooperative, but I just could never get how to move w/o being in control - I was always focusing more on my own rather than my "team."

I don't know if this has affected other NTs, but I've always spaced out during games and my teammates or coaches would yell at me. Sometimes, I think more of about the sheer number of ways I beat my opponent w/o realizing I'm actually holding the ball. This is so not an NT trait, but I get nervous when handling the ball against stronger opponents because I would overthink everything to a point where I'd be too afraid make a decision and sports, as you know, is literally thinking on your feet.

But with friends, I love playing in teams.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Played heaps in the past, none at the moment though, mainly football codes; AFL, rugby union, touch footy, and Gaelic as well as beach and indoor volleyball.

I enjoyed the physical activity as well as the sociability of it all.

I have a strong preference for team sports.

MBTI
    SEXY

• Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?

Currently: Rowing & Snowboarding (in winter)

• Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?

The adrenaline rush, the pride felt when you realize you're better then somebody else, the wind rushing through your air when you're going down the mountain really fast.

• In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?

I don't really care. I'm very determined and perfectionistic, so when I'm in a team I want to be able to rely on them. Otherwise I'd rather do sports individually.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

I have tried lots of things, but the only sport I ever liked for years was tennis. I liked the challenge and competitiveness of it. I can't find anyone that wants to play nowadays.

* Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?

I liked the strategy - ascertaining your opponent and coordinating your strategy accordingly. I loved having a good opponent, it made me up my game.

* In general, do you prefer individual- or team-based sports?

I played baseball when I was young. I HATED the amount of time it took to get a turn at bat, and my turn being delayed or never coming because of strike outs irritated me even more, but I did enjoy the game itself due to the competitiveness and played for several years. I usually prefer one on one things though. Mostly because I hate waiting and I get irritated if I lose because of other people. Or if they are slow... Or if they do dumb things...

I like hiking, but I don't consider it a sport. I have been wanting to try golf and will probably be good at it. I did not like indoor racquetball - too aggressive for me (or the people I played were).
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    [*] Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
    Yeah. Right now, mostly cycling, although I still play soccer and basketball from time to time.

[*] Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
    Soccer and basketball: I mostly enjoy developing a skillful technique and applying it towards scoring. Given that I don't get paid, I'm equally concerned about the aesthetics/fun and winning - the latter takes precedence only when I'm playing some kind of organized tournament.
    Cycling: I enjoy the effort it takes to climb mountains, and obviously the competition bit, too (only in uphill races, I don't really love flat courses). Winning is very hard, though, since for each race there are hundreds of attendants - I don't understand how the internet is so full of people that win at sports

[*] In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?
    Individual, it's not that easy for me to develop a good feel about a "team" unless I know well the people involved.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

Started soccer, basketball, and baseball all around age 4. Quit baseball by age 7 because I thought it was idiotic waiting around for the chance to have someone hit the ball at you and then waiting for your teammates to get out of the way so you could finally be the one at bat.

Switched from forward to goalie in soccer at age 10. Continued as a point guard in basketball.

Played a year of football at age 12, led the team in sacks and fumbles recovered but I was a defensive tackle and weighed less than a hundred pounds at the time so I thought it was a waste of my speed.

Moved to a new school and got cut from basketball team so I picked up guys volleyball (Ft Lauderdale). Still played goalie in soccer.

Moved to another high school in Orlando with no volleyball team so I picked up lacrosse and played middie til I graduated. Also played goalie til I grad'd.

In college now playing both club volleyball and handball. Also picked up snowboarding, repelling and down-hill biking (but I do those more as freetime hobbies).

MBTI
    INTP

Do you play any sport? If so, which one(s)?
    I do. I play football, soccer, baseball, I box, bike and run. I also do resistance training.

Why do you enjoy it/them? What is the feeling or quality you most enjoy?
    I like competing, I enjoy pushing myself and, I like the feeling of fatigue and soreness I get from exercise.

In general, do you prefer indvidual- or team-based sports?
    They both have their merits, I enjoy them equally.