• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and gaming?

Faine

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I often spend some time lurking over at The Escapist, which - for those who don't know - is basically an online magazine and forum with focus on gaming. Anyway, I happened to notice that someone had made a thread on personality types and I was interested to find that most people were getting an INTJ result. I expected plenty of NTs, but for some reason I'd anticipated more INTPs.

It got me wondering: are people with INTJ preferances more likely to enjoy gaming than others? Or is it just that people with INTJ preferances are more likely to enjoy sitting around and talking about gaming than others? I suppose I'm just curious about how many people enjoy gaming around here and whether there's any link to type. So I created a thread about it. Obviously.

:mellow:

As an aside: I'm not a huge gamer myself but I do enjoy a good RPG or horror game, something that can draw me in emotionally. I bet that's totally unheard of coming from an INFJ. Shocking, I know.

Nicodemus

I very rarely play games. As a kid, though, I played the good Nintendo games (Mario World, Mario Kart, Zelda).

MBTI Type
INTJ
I had an Atari when I was a kid and I loved it, but the games now are too complex to be fun in the same way. They require an investment of time that I don't care to give because both the games and controllers are more complicated than in the past. Twelve buttons? Really?

/old man rant

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I play in-person RPGs. My INTP SO does as well, in fact is the DM for our group, and enjoys wargaming as well.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i only know one INTJ and he plays computer games pretty much.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I only play SC2 these days. Add me if you like.. nickname: Berserk

Im crap tho.. my strategies are decent but i don`t know the timing so good.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I very rarely play games. As a kid, though, I played the good Nintendo games (Mario World, Mario Kart, Zelda).

This.

Because they're the best strategists.

And this.
Used to be really good at video games when I was a kid (set up a 100-person Goldeneye tournament at my high school and took second :doh:), but decided to drop it in college cuz it didn't seem compatible with achieving my long-term goals.

It's like creating a little fantasy world where real-world necessities (i.e., capital) aren't important, and an INTJ can just put his mind fully to work.

Also, similar to FMW said, there are just too many games nowadays, and video games are just such a time sink.

I can see how it would be easy for many an INTJ to get addicted to gaming...

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
but decided to drop it in college cuz it didn't seem compatible with achieving my long-term goals.

I can see how it would be easy for many an INTJ to get addicted to gaming...

this... i played GT3, GT4 SO much! i had 99% in GT3 and 200cars+ fully speced and perfectly tuned to my preferences. much the same with GT4.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
^ never got fully into those games (friends owned em, but I never did), but goddam they were amazing...

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I game all the time. The alternatives are drugs or spraypainting trains, I think it's the best option.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I enjoy gaming since I was a kid, and nothing has stopped me from playing.

Still, I managed to prevent gaming from turning into an addiction and taking over my life. It is just a hobby. At the moment, work and university are my top priorities.

I play during the weekends, when I have my quiet time at home. And sometimes with my friends, but, that hasn't been happening so often lately since they can't stand being beaten by a woman (I live in a place where playing videogames is supposed to be a 'men only' activity), but they get over it soon enough.

Bri

MBTI Type
INTJ
I haven't played for a while, but I did have an MMORPG phase. I loved to make new characters and play with them while they were still 'perfect' but would start to grow frustrated after I had dies a few times. I had a fascination with having no deaths in my stats. Then there was the time where I did one quest over and over and over in order to acquire a fancy title. I actually turned off my XP for weeks while I worked on it. Beyond that, I think you may be on to something when you say INTJs like to talk about gaming. I was heavily involved with a couple of pre-release hype websites and had a blast. I didn't even play one of the games when it came out, and the other I only played for a couple of months before giving up on it. But it was so fun talking about all of the things the game could be before it was released.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I played the classic N64 games like StarFox (my favourite, I loved the alternate paths/missions and kill goals), Mario Kart/World, Zelda, as well as the Spyro series. Guitar Hero is fun to kill time, but nowadays I'm picky and have only really put serious time into Twilight Princess and Ookami because of the wolf theme.

vsotosoto

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I can say without a doubt that I am a gamer. But I do see myself as less hardcore than many others. As an example if you were to look at my gamer score on "Xbox Live" and then see the vast amount of games in my drawers you would almost immediately wonder why its so low. I can tell you that its in part to the fact that I hop from game to game. One day I spend 6hrs playing "Singularity" the other I spend 3hrs on "Guitar Hero". Or I bust out my PSP and play Xenogears. There is no real dedication to one particular game or genre at any time. Mainly cause I see them as an escape from the current reality that I am in. And they also give me insight and inspiration as to what Is possible. As games and the gaming Industry evolve so do I and I try to correlate what I learn from each one to adapt and grow as a person. The companies themselves EA, SQUARE ENIX, CAPCOM, BETHESDA and etc... may be what publishes is a game but it takes so much more to achieve and present a creation which was at one point just another idea. And its those mastermind that inspire me. From the story, music, lighting, weapons, environment, HUD and countless other parts to a game that make what you see in front of you. And so I always wonder "what will they come up with next" and that's why I keep going back for more.

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a master gamer.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
Zelda and me go way back. So does Mario. Nowadays, I spend my leisure time with RPGs mainly of elven origins in medieval times...Was that too specific, or should I say Oblivion. I can easily get sucked into this strategic mental world of Daedra, but I have to calm down and 'wake up' and get things done, like life and living and all that jazz.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Best snipers in the world. I know it I fought with one side on side

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YosnqQCjoqA"].[/youtube]