First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Okay, I'll admit that I enjoy Wildcat-isms, and they've become much easier to understand over the months.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I do like good poetry, but poetry has to be read out loud to be fully appreciated.
    I think I know what you're saying.
    I once had someone quote a bit of Shakespeare to me and it was very beautiful.

MBTI
    INTP

I've always liked poetry. I don't know why, but it seems that any statement you wish to make sounds about ten times more profound when you put it in some kind of meter and rhyming scheme. Always had a thing for Kipling's poetry, especially. (Anybody else a fan of the Hymn of Breaking Strain?)

I've never been much for free verse, though. (I read poetry for the sound of it, not necessarily for the imagery.)

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

For those who like poetry, do you feel it is really possible to enjoy it in a language that is not your native language?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    lego

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    For those who like poetry, do you feel it is really possible to enjoy it in a language that is not your native language?
    This is an interesting question--

I can't say I've looked at very much translated poetry, but when I have I've wondered whether something significant had been lost.

For sure, the music is changed--if not the metaphor, the symbolism, the character of the poem entirely . . . but does not necessarily mean a translated poem will be inferior.

Yet, I do think there will always be the question--particularly when I am ultimately unfamiliar with the original language of the poem.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

I'm very interested in poetry. I haven't read as much as I would like to but I've always been partial to the somewhat metaphorical types such as the popularly known Robert Frost work "The Road Less Traveled", that which gradually reveals a story such Henry Longfellow's "The Village Smithy" or any of Shakespeare's plays, or one in which the details of the poem are left unstated until the end. As is typical of me in art, dark stuff such as "The Cremation of Sam McGee" has an extra appeal to it; I like poems that take me to another place or time.

Some Japanese haiku is incredibly beautiful.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Not for me. I only speak one language so that probably contributes.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

I like quotes.

I could believe that a perfect poem is nothing more than the Ti or Fi continuously improving on itself until it reaches a point of perfection where it cannot go any further. Thus saying something a profound idea with as few words as possible/perfect format.

A quote has a one up on a poem, it does the same thing with even fewer words

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I guess, if anything, I like poetry that's directed to me!

But really, I like when anything is directed to me, especially when it boosts my ego!

MBTI
    lego

Quote Originally Posted by cdal233 View Post
    A quote has a one up on a poem, it does the same thing with even fewer words
    I'm curious . . . do you believe that great quotes embody the same scope of ideas that great poems achieve?

My understanding is that a great quote is at least slightly more limited than poetry. Perhaps we could agree, however, that an aphorism is something that exists as a marriage of quote and poetry?