User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I hate poetry or anything too symbolic because then I don't know what they're talking about, especially allegories.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I love poetry. (I also love music and lyrical prose.)

I take each piece of poetry on its own terms. I am looking for its own unique pulse. If it has one, if it has lifeblood of its own, if it conforms to its own inherent pulse and beat (regardless of what external definitions it does or does not match), then I enjoy and respect it.

So I can enjoy song lyrics, I can enjoy E.A. Robinson, I can enjoy Dr. Seuss, I can enjoy Shakespeare, I can enjoy anything at all if it is true to itself.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

I love song lyrics, too.
    I guess they must be simple enough for me to understand.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So it seems, so far, that the NPs are at least semi-interested in poetry. It makes sense, since I would suspect the NJ (or J in general) would prefer bluntness in both reading and writing, since they tend to want things to be to-the-point.

Although most of the SJs here seem to take a neutral stance, and the SPs, thus far, seem not to like poetry at all or are more interested in the rhythm.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Well, I don't really like reading other peoples poetry in general, but having said that I have been known to write poetry myself. I think it is so I don't bottle my feelings up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    lego

I'm hoping to make it into a full-ride graduate program in poetry writing within the next three years (there are at least two in the US) . . . learning everything I can about reading and writing poetry right now, after a few years "percolating" with a more general undergraduate focus on literature and philosophy.

I've been trying to understand where poetry, as a unique artform, stands in the modern world. In my experience, most people either don't like poetry or never really pursue it. Misconceptions abound: poetry must rhyme, poetry must build from something, poetry must sound a certain way . . .

Poetry can do any of those things, but really poetry is writing in its most condensed form. Great poetry couples the abstract and concrete, giving surface and symbolic readings at once with words chosen carefully and purposefully.

My most recent guess is that most people expect poetry to reveal itself as quickly as film--while just barely understanding the connection between the arts therein. Poetry, often, appears to be "small"--a poem will often contain less words than other forms of writing. I wonder if the logic goes: fewer words = less time required to read/understand.

However, poetry--particularly for readers who haven't experienced a lot of different poetry--demands more than a quick glance. When given reflection and patience, a great poem will share its secrets in a way quite unlike prose, and also a bit different from verse.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

I enjoy poetry when it's placed before me (in a class, for example), but I rarely seek it out. I enjoy analyzing poems. I've also written poems, but it's not something I do regularly. There's something fun about trying to fit all kinds of atmosphere and meaning into a particular format. It forces you to be more precise with your words and come up with creative juxtapositions of words and phrases to get your point or feeling across with impact. Poems to me are like communication puzzles, to be taken apart and put back together.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I do like good poetry, but poetry has to be read out loud to be fully appreciated.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

I really like it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Rarely. I can always appreciate the poetry of Mawlānā Jalāl-ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī, and there was a Seamus Heaney poem about an island that appealed to me, but apart from that, I don't really like it.