• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Question for NTs...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In accordance of the question asked to the SPs, I'd like to know this truth about the NTs. Do you consider yourself a philosopher or to have philosophical viewpoints like so many NT descriptions say you do?

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
INTP reporting here: I would, yes, in the context of being one who reflects on meanings and motives within humanity, but I fail to enter into the semantic debate that seems to permeate "academic" philosophy. I'm much more likely to read multiple viewpoints and take a hodgepodge of thoughts from them all that makes sense in the context of my current evidence. Does that make sense?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP reporting here: I would, yes, in the context of being one who reflects on meanings and motives within humanity, but I fail to enter into the semantic debate that seems to permeate "academic" philosophy. I'm much more likely to read multiple viewpoints and take a hodgepodge of thoughts from them all that makes sense in the context of my current evidence. Does that make sense?

Yes, thank you. I'm not really philosophical, exactly, but I enjoy the creative stimulation that the unknown brings me, which is why I enjoy researching oceanography, astronomy, astrophysics, and history. There is so much mystery within all those fields that it is impossible to know the true story behind their actual realities, and so I become forced to make up a story for it.

But with philosophical questions such as "Why are we here?", I am not as interested. I'm mostly interested in the creative stimulation I get from watching movies and doing research on various topics that stimulate me intellectually and creatively.

And a part of me thinks the unknown should not be physically explored not just because it's potentially dangerous, but because of the imaginary wonderment that would be lost should we do so.

BrianBear

MBTI Type
INTP
Even as a kid people thought I was an "old soul". For as long as I can remember I have been seeking wisdom, AKA philosophy.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I am certainly a philosopher.. ever seeking wisdom..

Wisdom through reflection of the experiences of myself and others.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes. Anyone who wants to understand everything, would be.

...but not the kind of philosophy that revolves around one liners...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I intend to agree with you. I like the way you interpret philosophy as something that isn't necessarily religion.

Unfortunately, most people think of philosophy as those old proverbs.

I'm more into fanciful thinking than anything, whether it's logical or not is merely coincidental...but I think I said that already.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I consider myself a student of many subjects. Philosophy is one of them, but it is by no means near the top.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've always enjoyed things of a speculative and/or philosophical nature. Unfortunately at present my life is pretty packed, so I haven't been able to devote as much time to reading and researching as I would like.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Philosophy's cool. Some of it gets tedious -- I get a little tired of hearing the same arguments, especially in the realm of faith. But I don't usually call that philosophy. I call it foolosophy.
Real philosophy is kickin'.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Well, yes, I have always wanted to understand the why's and how's, but I would never call that philosophical. If philosophy has a spiritual side to it, I'd pass. I did enjoy all my philosophical courses in college, though...

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I majored in it and still consider it the most powerful force in the world.. thing is alot of people don't realize how powerful it is; how much it affects their lives. It can spawn a Hitler, Ghandi or Skinner so, yes, its something I still watch.
Most throw the term around so loosely it has no real meaning equating it with some personal code or religion or think of it as, merely, some intellectual game ivory tower academians play. I, seriously, doubt any but those who do actually study it even know what School something they're discussing even falls in so I tend to stay out of those discussions.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
It’s a very basic part of my daily life; I’m constantly reevaluating my worldview based on new information I receive.

I majored in it and still consider it the most powerful force in the world.. thing is alot of people don't realize how powerful it is; how much it affects their lives. It can spawn a Hitler, Ghandi or Skinner so, yes, its something I still watch.

I completely agree with this statement. Most people don’t seem to understand the incredible effect philosophical ideas have on human culture. A very good deal of revolutions, wars, and movements, especially those such as communism, the American Revolution, and in the case of more religiously defined philosophy the various Crusades to the Middle East (involved both social and ideological factors not directly tied to religion as well), involve philosophy to a high degree. The Bolshevik Revolution would carry no weight if not for the ideas of Marx.

And a part of me thinks the unknown should not be physically explored not just because it's potentially dangerous, but because of the imaginary wonderment that would be lost should we do so.

I doubt that there will ever be an exhaustion of the unknown.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP

Yes I agree. The blunt truth is I probably will not understand everything in my lifetime, but I never really want to tell myself that. It is extremely important to me that I understand our world.

This IS the most human powerful force in the world. It's the idea that ideas exist. It doesn't get more powerful than that. Everything we understand rides on ideas, and it allows our minds to create order.

I tend to try to limit my NTness to only deal with philosophical sciences. Once I start to deviate from this model, I tend to get very impractical. Even the quest for philosophical sciences is pretty impractical in itself, but it's the type of understanding our world I most relate to. Most likely due to my TiNe combination... I am also always updating my active model of the universe.

I do know a lot of NT's (I can think of examples for all four types) that do not consider philosophical matters to be even close to the most important thing in their lives. It just isn't first on the priority list that they have committed to. But for each one of them, they do tend to be influenced by a logic-based philosophical discussion if it crosses their path in life... in a much quicker and immediate fashion than any other types in my experience.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In accordance of the question asked to the SPs, I'd like to know this truth about the NTs. Do you consider yourself a philosopher or to have philosophical viewpoints like so many NT descriptions say you do?

I study philosophy, but unless you count personality systems, I don't dedicate a large amount of time to philosophising. Rather it's casual; as I'm walking to a lecture or tutorial I'll run through ideas, concepts and rules in my head. Sometimes I'll do philosophy while I'm arguing; I'll come up with an idea half way through an argument and throw it at my opponent, often half-formed or in development. It's a great mental exercise. I tend not to be concerned with the logical consistency of my arguments, because that comes naturally, and when it doesn't, I willingly concede my logic, and address another issue. I see no reason to debate a point just to win (unless you're in the courtroom). I certainly what many would consider to be philosophical viewpoints, and many of these tie in with political theory, which I devote a fair bit of my casual philosophising time to. For example, creating the ideal state. I love to set my views in order, so that when people ask me what they are, they're there for me to talk about.

developer

MBTI Type
INTJ
No. I like science and technology, and I am also interested in psychology, but philosophy was not made for me.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP

Makes a lot of sense and I'll just ditto it rather than rewrite/rephrase it for myself.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
No, Falcarius is not a philosopher. He would much rather think about 'science', as I finds 'philosophical theory' too wishy-washy. Falcarius just thinks philosophy is a 'failed' science. If a idea can be proved it is science, and if it can't it is a philosophy.