Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Question for NTs...

In accordance of the question asked to the SPs, I'd like to know this truth about the NTs. Do you consider yourself a philosopher or to have philosophical viewpoints like so many NT descriptions say you do?

MBTI
    INTP

INTP reporting here: I would, yes, in the context of being one who reflects on meanings and motives within humanity, but I fail to enter into the semantic debate that seems to permeate "academic" philosophy. I'm much more likely to read multiple viewpoints and take a hodgepodge of thoughts from them all that makes sense in the context of my current evidence. Does that make sense?
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Priam View Post
    INTP reporting here: I would, yes, in the context of being one who reflects on meanings and motives within humanity, but I fail to enter into the semantic debate that seems to permeate "academic" philosophy. I'm much more likely to read multiple viewpoints and take a hodgepodge of thoughts from them all that makes sense in the context of my current evidence. Does that make sense?
    Yes, thank you. I'm not really philosophical, exactly, but I enjoy the creative stimulation that the unknown brings me, which is why I enjoy researching oceanography, astronomy, astrophysics, and history. There is so much mystery within all those fields that it is impossible to know the true story behind their actual realities, and so I become forced to make up a story for it.

But with philosophical questions such as "Why are we here?", I am not as interested. I'm mostly interested in the creative stimulation I get from watching movies and doing research on various topics that stimulate me intellectually and creatively.

And a part of me thinks the unknown should not be physically explored not just because it's potentially dangerous, but because of the imaginary wonderment that would be lost should we do so.

MBTI
    INTP

Even as a kid people thought I was an "old soul". For as long as I can remember I have been seeking wisdom, AKA philosophy.

MBTI
    INFP

I am certainly a philosopher.. ever seeking wisdom..

Wisdom through reflection of the experiences of myself and others.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes. Anyone who wants to understand everything, would be.

...but not the kind of philosophy that revolves around one liners...
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Yes. Anyone who wants to understand everything, would be.

...but not the kind of philosophy that revolves around one liners...
    I intend to agree with you. I like the way you interpret philosophy as something that isn't necessarily religion.

Unfortunately, most people think of philosophy as those old proverbs.

I'm more into fanciful thinking than anything, whether it's logical or not is merely coincidental...but I think I said that already.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I consider myself a student of many subjects. Philosophy is one of them, but it is by no means near the top.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I've always enjoyed things of a speculative and/or philosophical nature. Unfortunately at present my life is pretty packed, so I haven't been able to devote as much time to reading and researching as I would like.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Philosophy's cool. Some of it gets tedious -- I get a little tired of hearing the same arguments, especially in the realm of faith. But I don't usually call that philosophy. I call it foolosophy.
    Real philosophy is kickin'.
    we fukin won boys