• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Disproportional representation of INTJs on this forum

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed that there is a huge amount of INTJs on this forum in comparison with almost every other type. Why is it that INTJs tend to flock towards this kind of thing? I would expect the NF population to be higher, since personality systems are something that would naturally be most appealing to NFs (self-development and the like).

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INTJs, being INTs, are nerds and, hence, more likely to frequent Internet message boards. Until recently there wasn't a forum comparable to INTP Central.

And there you have it.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
From typelogic's INTJ profile:

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. :) This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Probably the strongest INTJ assets in the interpersonal area are their intuitive abilities and their willingness to "work at" a relationship. Although as Ts they do not always have the kind of natural empathy that many Fs do, the Intuitive function can often act as a good substitute by synthesizing the probable meanings behind such things as tone of voice, turn of phrase, and facial expression. This ability can then be honed and directed by consistent, repeated efforts to understand and support those they care about, and those relationships which ultimately do become established with an INTJ tend to be characterized by their robustness, stability, and good communications.

INTJs are uncomfortable with chaos and therefore strive to understand and control things. At the outset, people stump us as described above. MBTI helps us pwn the 'human' system. (Thank you again for that phrase, Usehername! :D)

developer

MBTI Type
INTJ
What I like about this forum is the variety of people posting here. The atmosphere is relaxed, and one can read a lot of different views on any given topic. This latter aspect also may be what appeals to the INTJ in me. I generally am curious to hear what people have to say, the more diverse the opinions, the better for me.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Unfortunately I cannot recall my source but allegedly the INTJ has the greatest interest in typing others. As by typing other people he or she can better understand those people. And understanding is a driving force for rationals.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
There was an interesting study done on which MBTI type typically retires early. Within this study, there were statistics indicating which personality typically is represented the most heavily on the web.

Granted, the study was done almost 8 years ago, but it offers a perspective. If you scroll about 33% down the page, there are statistics for each type.

The 4 highest results indicated as follows:

INFJ 1% World Pop. 8% Web Users
INFP 1% World Pop. 8% Web Users
INTJ 1% World Pop. 7% Web Users
INTP 1% World Pop. 4% Web Users

Things have undoubtedly changed since then, and I'm 100% confident the results wouldn't be valid in todays world... but it's interesting nonetheless.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
There was an interesting study done on which MBTI type typically retires early. Within this study, there were statistics indicating which personality typically is represented the most heavily on the web.

Granted, the study was done almost 8 years ago, but it offers a perspective. If you scroll about 33% down the page, there are statistics for each type.

The 4 highest results indicated as follows:

INFJ 1% World Pop. 8% Web Users
INTP 1% World Pop. 4% Web Users

Things have undoubtedly changed since then, and I'm 100% confident the results wouldn't be valid in todays world... but it's interesting nonetheless.

I am surprised by those results. IMO, the following would be a more accurate representation:

INTP 1% World Pop. 8% Web Users
- The Internet by it's very design is conducive to exploration. There's much to read, learn and do. Surely it is an NP dream come true.

INFJ 1% World Pop. 4% Web Users
- Too lazy to explain this but I will if anyone is interested.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- Too lazy to explain this but I will if anyone is interested.

Go for it, SuperDave. ;)

.... hmm... as far as INTJs go... do we have any INTJ repellent?

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've noticed that there is a huge amount of INTJs on this forum in comparison with almost every other type.

That's fine with me as it was one of those that spotted me as an INTP on a forum. I don't think I could have done that... well, I know I couldn't. I look up to them.:)

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
That's fine with me as it was one of those that spotted me as an INTP on a forum. I don't think I could have done that... well, I know I couldn't. I look up to them.:)

Oh I'm calling BS on that one.

INTP's are the ones who know complex theory for seemingly no reason... you definitely could call out another type on a forum.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Does anyone have any actual statistics about the distribution of types on this forum?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
INTP's are the ones who know complex theory for seemingly no reason... you definitely could call out another type on a forum.

Thankfully, you aren't alone in this awareness. ;)

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh I'm calling BS on that one.

Well, maybe, if I had the accumulated data which I don't. I am not prone to making rash statements as it regards my abilities. But you could be right.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Go for it, SuperDave. ;)

.... hmm... as far as INTJs go... do we have any INTJ repellent?

Although NJs might appreciate the vast amount of information available on the Internet they probably use the Internet more as tool to help them accomplish a particular goal. And, since they might use the Internet as a tool they are unlikely to engage in time consuming open ended exploration.

Here's an example. My father who is likely an ENTJ loves the Internet and constantly utilizes it to find information but once he finds what he is seeking he logs off (in a manner of speaking). I on the other hand might visit say the SANS reading room (sans.org) to research topic X but by the time I have finished I have researched topics x,y,z,etc. And as you have undoubtedly surmised, spent significantly more time on the Internet than my dad.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Vivid

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Not that IN types aren't great, but I wish there was more variety. =D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Why would you like that ? Should I feel not loved anymore ?;)

Oh... no, I like having INTJ's around. Their values are a little weird, but they seem to understand things very clearly. Sometimes they can even show concern/sympathy if they know you well, and you know how to look for it (but don't expect them to admit it).