User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default INTPs and facial expressions

I have a job that requires me to work with the public. My boss has been fussing at me because he says that I 'never smile' and that I look too intimidating. I've run into this sentiment many times before -- my 'friendly' face seems neutral to most people, and my 'neutral' face seems angry.

I tried examining my facial expressions in a mirror. I don't use my mouth much when emoting; it's my eyes that change. I arch my brows and narrow or widen my eyes to try to show emotion, but I think that people are watching my mouth, expecting to see big smiles. But when I tried smiling, it comes across as grimacing unless I'm genuinely smiling from happiness. I look very stilted trying to fake emotion.

What's your experience, fellow INTPs? Do others find you intimidating? Do you come across as angry when you're merely neutral or quiet? Do you also find it almost impossible to fake facial expressions?

I had an awesome older (like 35 years older) INTP friend who looked so stony and serious most of the time, even when he was totally jovial and whatnot on the inside. He kind of had this wise man aura going on, which was great when he'd come out with absolutely bat-shit crazy stuff and we'd laugh and laugh about it. Man, cool dude. Cool dude.

MBTI
    INTJ

Why the hell did you pick a job where you need to "work with the public", being an INTP and everything?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    XXFP

Sometimes I smile so much it's just silly.

But I can't smile in pictures like some people can. Posing. It doesn't work - sort of a square with my mouth. I know what you mean - the grimace.

I also do the eyes and brow thing. A lot of my low level emotion is expressed from there.

Sometimes you just have to actually be happy, if not to converse and interact with a customer, than to provide some service for them. It works, but obviously it's tiring.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

ReflecTcelfeR

Introverted Thinking in general is a very stern judge. When I'm getting down with meh logic it's ummmm... Scary to people that aren't used to it.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Neutral, angry, quiet...hmm, these seem quite appropriate for an INTP. Especially when dealing with the public!

But yes, I get told this, too. Unapproachable is what I hear. Either that or "What's wrong? You look upset." "I wasn't but the look is now a genuine response."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Why the hell did you pick a job where you need to "work with the public", being an INTP and everything?
    Practice

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Practice
    Practice what? Pain?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP

As I'm sure some of you are aware, our economy is not doing so great. I greatly enjoy having a meal or two a day, plus wireless internet, which is why I took this job. And actually, most of the time I don't hate my job or my customers -- it's just that my 'neutral' face looks angry, and my 'happy' face barely makes it to neutral. So I can be mildly pleased by your company and you might think I'm grumpy.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

dunno, but i smiled when reading the first post
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read